Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the auto folding mirror option and I've noticed that the driver's mirror doesn't seem to
fold up quite as far as the passenger mirror.

It would seem that the driver mirror only folds up to about 90% of the passenger's.

Could someone check their mirror, after folding, and see if their mirrors line up equal.

I would guess that the manual or auto fold would/should travel the same distance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the auto folding mirror option and I've noticed that the driver's mirror doesn't seem to
fold up quite as far as the passenger mirror.

It would seem that the driver mirror only folds up to about 90% of the passenger's.

Could someone check their mirror, after folding, and see if their mirrors line up equal.

I would guess that the manual or auto fold would/should travel the same distance.
I also tried manually pushing my Driver's mirror the remaining distance and it wouldn't go any further,
telling me that it's all the way folded.

So I guess the question is... does the passenger mirror, by design, just fold up further on Caymans
whether it's auto fold of not?

Could someone check their Cayman/Boxster and see if their mirrors when folded are equal or slightly off (look closely)?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Well... would you look at that! I just went and looked at mine. Look at me, being useful!! :D If I stand directly over it and line up the top part of the coloured housing with the bottom edge, my passenger mirror is lined right up parallel with the window edge.

If I do the same with the driver's side, it isn't. It's on a bit of an angle.

I expect it's probably normal. I mean.. it's near as makes no difference functionally... but it's definitely different.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just checked mine, and Gee it's like you said. Never noticed this before. But don't think this is a problem. The Drivers side mirror just doesn't fold up as far. Not much, but it is different.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Here's an idea. When you park facing the same way as others, statistics show that you're more likely to have somebody open their driver's door than passenger door. Maybe they did it on purpose due to the likelihood of somebody mashing your passenger's side vs. your driver's side.

"They thought of everything!" :p

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Just when I thought I knew everything about my 981......

I just ran out and checked mine and I have the same result. Driver side is about 10 degrees off from passenger side. I'm sure it is on purpose.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They're hired a sadistic engineer with a hate on for OCD folks.
I only noticed because... while gazing lovingly at the car, I noticed the passenger folded mirror "seemed" to look cooler than the drivers side,
i.e. tucked in very neat.... so I started looking at it more closely.

I also noticed that the passenger inside door pull has a little "tab" on the bottom, but the drivers doesn't.
I can't tell if it's a minor defect or not.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Actually I think makes sense based on the fact that left and right mirrors are probably different (too lazy to go check ) . Geometry and optics demand that the far mirror is turned a little more inwards. The housings may not be identical to begin with, never mind folded up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts