Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking to pick up a 981 Boxster S or GTS and have some questions on the X73 Sports Suspension. From prowling on the forums the X73 drops the car .787" from stock height, and my concern is that low of a ride height would create problems in everyday use.

For owners with the X73 option equipped in the U.S., what are your experiences with the car and rolled curbs? Can you back straight up onto it without an issue? Can you park parallel to the curb, e.g. LH wheels on the curb and RH wheels on the tarmac, without issues?

My previous "fun" car was a E85 Z4 with Sports Suspension for reference; that car, while low, has no issues with ground clearances everywhere I've been to. It will scrape slightly on a standard rolled curb if I drive out of it too fast, but I figure if the 981 + X73 can match/exceed the ground clearance on an E85 + SS, then that's an option I can live with.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a '16CS with X73. It's my 'fun' car so I opted to maximize it's handling capabilities. The ride quality of X73 is remarkable given how low it is. However, I do have to be careful over most speed bumps and steep driveways especially if there's two passengers. I have scraped the underside of the car a couple of times. If I were 'daily' driving my car in a hilly or urban location with poor roads I would not get X73.

·
Registered
34,175 Posts
My DD. I have to be careful with curbs and steep driveways, especially on 19" wheels. With the 19" I had to create a little platform (two pieces of 3/4" ply) for the rear wheels to lift up on in order to get the LP jack underneath with the rubber bump and jackpoint stand plate. On the track the X73 is fantastic. I did a slight track alignment as well. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you ajahearn and ludwigk981 for sharing your experience with the X73. When you mention being careful over speedbumps, are you able to go over them head-on, albeit at a slow speed so that the car doesn't "bounce", or do you have to pull a Lambo-angled move to clear them?

The roads here in the PNW aren't too bad; I've never run into any issues in the Z4, even on the ferry upper decks. For context, I'm not planning on tracking the 981 and it'll most likely never see downtown, although it's pretty hilly around here. Harsh rides are fine - the Z4 w/ SS supposedly rode like a concrete block, but it felt great to me. The X73 just opens up the search criteria a little more, but I don't want to be paranoid taking the car on a road trip and having to approach every bump at a 45 degree angle. 20mm lower than stock sounds like a lot, but if it ends up being about the same level as the Z4 then that's no problem.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I drive my X73 GTS everywhere without issue. Just take a reasonably cautious approach to speed bumps and steep inclines and you’ll be fine. At 60K miles I’ve yet to need to replace or touch up anything on the front. I don’t treat it any differently than my PASM 911. Both scrape on occasion, but I wouldn’t change either.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
After nearly 7 years with this suspension, I've had my share of scrapes with it, but have learned you don't take on or leave a driveway with a raised surface straight on.
No issue with speed bumps, but a relocation to suburb with driveways 3-4" above street pavement made me change my driving habits quick. Coming in or leaving from an angle fixes it.
Every time I think that I might want to go to the stock height, I get it out on a twisty and instantly remember why I included this option in the build.

·
Registered
34,175 Posts
As a general rule I try to either go very slowly or at an angle but still I occasionally scrape. As you are not looking for track purposes, why not consider installing a PASM-like installation (get a DSC controller and the appropriate struts)? It is more expensive but it gives you the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi all,

I'm looking to pick up a 981 Boxster S or GTS and have some questions on the X73 Sports Suspension. From prowling on the forums the X73 drops the car .787" from stock height, and my concern is that low of a ride height would create problems in everyday use.

For owners with the X73 option equipped in the U.S., what are your experiences with the car and rolled curbs? Can you back straight up onto it without an issue? Can you park parallel to the curb, e.g. LH wheels on the curb and RH wheels on the tarmac, without issues?

My previous "fun" car was a E85 Z4 with Sports Suspension for reference; that car, while low, has no issues with ground clearances everywhere I've been to. It will scrape slightly on a standard rolled curb if I drive out of it too fast, but I figure if the 981 + X73 can match/exceed the ground clearance on an E85 + SS, then that's an option I can live with.

Thanks in advance!
I have a 2013 BS with the X73 suspension and I love it. It is not my DD. I have had no issue Le
curbs as long as you are slow and careful.

I back my car up my driveway as well so that helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I too have a GTS with X73 and highly recommend it.

My driveway is a little bit of a hassle, but the X73 is definitely worth it. When I first came home after buying the car, I drove perpendicular to the driveway (just like I had usually approached in my minivan) and got kind of "stuck"... fortunately I was going slow so I could reverse with no damage.
Now I just reverse in at an angle at a slow speed.

I approach speed bumps at a slow speed too and at an angle if at all possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a '16CS with X73. It's my 'fun' car so I opted to maximize it's handling capabilities. The ride quality of X73 is remarkable given how low it is. However, I do have to be careful over most speed bumps and steep driveways especially if there's two passengers. I have scraped the underside of the car a couple of times. If I were 'daily' driving my car in a hilly or urban location with poor roads I would not get X73.
I forgot to mention that I have 20" wheels as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine is a '16 Boxster GTS, 20"wheels and X73. I have scraped the underside of the nose being careless and maybe too quick coming out of a parking lot driveway into the street.
But never an issue with speed bumps (not so many around here) or potholes (plenty of those).
Yes, it is stiff but I have done a 600 mile each way road trip (Erie, PA to Road America) without feeling like I got beat up on the way.

And my G-Force gizmo on the dash says 1.37 right now with street tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your feedback - really appreciate all the insights. I've decided to pull the trigger on a '15 B-GTS, 20" wheels and X73. Can't wait to take it out on the backroads!

·
Registered
459 Posts
My old 911 was GT-2 height, that scraped all the time - was a total pain to drive around town.

Stock X-73 is fine, no issues that cause heartache. Speed bumps can be taken straight on, no issues. Some steep driveways cause scraping, however it is important to note that almost all of the scraping noise is from covers, farings 'under' the visible splitters. There is a rubber trim piece under the visible front splitter and plastic trim pieces near the front tires...these scrape vs the more expensive to replace trim pieces.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the X73 on my '14 Cayman S and have zero regrets. You need to be careful, but just remember to take entrances at an angle and you'll be just fine. Personally, I would never order a Cayman/Boxster/911 without it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
I have a 2014 Cayman S with X73 suspension and 20" Carrera S wheels. I bottom out on the steep driveway at work unless I drive out at an angle. I actually ground a hole through the metal of the outer floor pan of the front trunk hitting the pavement at very slow speed on a daily basis over several years. I now park in a different lot at work.

Straight curbs are a major hazard. I took out my right side radiator and air conditioning condenser bumping at about 5 mph into a curb while parking. It was an expensive repair.

I have not had any issues with rolled curbs though. Just be careful driving up onto and off of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Here's the car I ended up buying - X73 and all. Thanks to all of you for your valuable insights!

Just in case this would help someone else in the future, over the past 800 miles it definitely has better clearances than an E85 Z4 with sport package. There were a few places on my commute I had to really slow down in the Z4 on, but the 981 with X73 had no issues at all.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I added x73 to 14 cayman base. No regrets. I do the same as wasupdu. i did run into issues when using jacks. Even the low profile didn't have clearance. I park the front on top of 2x6 wood blocks before using the jack.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have X73 and love it on road and track. I use a low-rise race jack and have no clearance issues. I have also installed a jacking point in the rear. This is mainly for quick-access track use, but it is also useful to raise the chassis up on the suspension just enough to increase side clearance if needed. The wheels don't even leave the ground.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have 50k miles on X73 as a daily driver. Very few issues really, my mother in laws driveway has a 3-4" high curb which is too much for X73, even with an angled approach and you need to be careful with ramps in and out of places, but it's pretty obvious where you need to take care and I've only scraped it a couple of times.

It's really comfortable to drive on though and the handling is worth any extra thought that is required.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts