Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

So quick back story, I have been a BMW driver for the last 8 years, love them, but I have my eyes on a 981 when my current lease is up 2/16. I will most likely be purchasing one.

I'm undecided between a Cayman and a Boxster, but it seems as thought the Boxster is edging out as this will be a DailyDriver and the Boxster seems to win a few categories like cabin noise and visibility. But I do like the looks of the Cayman better.

After reading extensively on the forum I am going with a Base Model and Base Suspension due to the ride comfort and daily driver aspects of that configuration versus the S and sport suspensions.

Questions I have I couldn't get answered by searching:

1) Expected release date of the 4 cylinder version?

2) From what I read on 981's Bluetooth is standard for voice calls, but can't STREAM audio over bluetooth unless you get PCM? So is that only an option under the $3,990 option Infotainment Package with Sound Package Plus?

3) Does a base model come with Halogen headlights? I see the Bi-Xenon Headlights incl PDLS package for $1,560, so I'm assuming a base model comes with halogen? (really? in 2015? :p)

4) The "Power Folding Side Mirror $320 option" - Does this auto fold and unfold upon lock and unlock or only activated with the button on the door? I would want this to fold and unfold with the key fob.

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
1. Don't think anybody knows yet.
2. Sorry, don't know.
3. Base = Halogen (really)
4. Power folding mirror = can manually fold using button on inside door, or during key fob Locking. Unfold manually using button on inside door
or engine start only (kinda makes the poodle lights underneath unusable).

·
Registered
848 Posts
2) From what I read on 981's Bluetooth is standard for voice calls, but can't STREAM audio over bluetooth unless you get PCM? So is that only an option under the $3,990 option Infotainment Package with Sound Package Plus?
CDR+ streams BlueTooth. Its $1700.

·
Registered
503 Posts
the Boxster seems to win a few categories like cabin noise and visibility.
Visibility with the top down, sure. Visibility with the top up, not so much but that's not uncommon for ragtops.

really? in 2015? :p
Really. Welcome to the world of Porsche ownership. Don't assume that the year means anything with regard to features/options that are included. If it's a must-have for you then check to see and expect that you might have to pay for it.

kinda makes the poodle lights underneath unusable
No poodle here. Maybe if they had a cat light... ;)

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
For the bluetooth - yes, in Porsche world you don't get a streaming audio from the phone, unless you pay $$$$ on top of $$$$$ :)

But it's easily fixable with aftermarket bluetooth. There is power outlet and AUX jack in the glove box, so it's all hides nicely there. Nearly half of members here go this way instead of submitting to Porsche racket. More info on aftermarket BTs here: http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...3267-bluetooth-streaming-base-audio-40-a.html

·
Registered
69 Posts
For item #4 below...

The power folding mirrors can be configured to auto-fold with LOCKING in the PCM settings.
It will auto un-fold when you start the engine.
You can also fold/unfold manually via a button on the door control panel.

Hi All,

So quick back story, I have been a BMW driver for the last 8 years, love them, but I have my eyes on a 981 when my current lease is up 2/16. I will most likely be purchasing one.

I'm undecided between a Cayman and a Boxster, but it seems as thought the Boxster is edging out as this will be a DailyDriver and the Boxster seems to win a few categories like cabin noise and visibility. But I do like the looks of the Cayman better.

After reading extensively on the forum I am going with a Base Model and Base Suspension due to the ride comfort and daily driver aspects of that configuration versus the S and sport suspensions.

Questions I have I couldn't get answered by searching:

1) Expected release date of the 4 cylinder version?

3) Does a base model come with Halogen headlights? I see the Bi-Xenon Headlights incl PDLS package for $1,560, so I'm assuming a base model comes with halogen? (really? in 2015? :p)

4) The "Power Folding Side Mirror $320 option" - Does this auto fold and unfold upon lock and unlock or only activated with the button on the door? I would want this to fold and unfold with the key fob.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really. Welcome to the world of Porsche ownership. Don't assume that the year means anything with regard to features/options that are included. If it's a must-have for you then check to see and expect that you might have to pay for it.
Thanks for all the info everyone. It's been a great help!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised with this, I'm all too familiar with the nickel and diming tactics, I come from BMW and the same scenarios occur, Bluetooth streaming costs an extra $650. But you can atleast Code the car with a cable and BMW "hacked" software, sounds like that doesn't exist on the Porsche side.

Hey atleast my 335 came with stock xenons finally with the F-series about damn time.

Last Question, is the keyless entry worth it? It seems as though even with it there is still no start button and you still have to turn a dummy key sitting in the keyhole?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I came from the keyless option of my '08 M3 for 6yrs now but I have to say I've gotten use to using the key now with my CS that I really don't mind. Even starting to like it...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Last Question, is the keyless entry worth it? It seems as though even with it there is still no start button and you still have to turn a dummy key sitting in the keyhole?
No one can answer that for you. I have it mainly because I don't want to have to physically pull a key out of my pocket this day and age in a $70k European car. The sensing frunk/trunk doesn't work consistently though. Turning a dummy fob is no big deal, have to push a button in most cars anyway.

The only way to get it on 981 is with Premium Pkg Plus though, which is a lot of $ over base 2 way seats. Of course if you want the other options, which I did, then it's not that much IMHO. I think in other models it's something like $700 as a stand alone option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
My Porsche is my daily driver. That's why I picked a Cayman.
My Porsche is my daily driver. That's why I picked a Boxster. :cheers: :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts