Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been the owner of an 06 Boxster S now for a little over a year now. Started with 41k miles and now have a tad over 52k miles. This is my first Porsche so am new to the brand and still learning.

Anyways, a couple weeks back I shifted from 1st to 2nd and immediately noticed something was off. The clutch pedal initially stuck to the floor and after a second or two it released. Really took me by surprise. It only stuck to the floor this one time however. When it did release, it took the engine a few seconds to "catch" and then the rpm's dropped and it engaged. The issues continued the rest of the day and the pedal continued to have that spongy feel to it. I now noticed that the clutch pedal had to be released all the way out to get the Boxster to move from a stop as well as while moving. Before it would typically engage about halfway. I have since just garaged the Boxster and have been trying to read up on the issue. Also, since purchasing the car, I have noticed a slight shuddering in the clutch pedal. The shuttering is now more pronounced. Also of note there weren't any strange smells (clutch burning) coming from the vehicle that day.

From the other posts I've been reading up on, it appears I will need a new clutch and a clutch replacement at 50k isn't unheard of on these cars. I've never had a clutch go out on any of my manuals I've owned over the years, but from reading up on the forums the clutch appears to be the culprit. Would I be correct in "assuming" this from my symptoms, or should I just take it in and have it looked at to be sure?

From reading forum posts I am just looking at sticking with stock parts. Looks like I need to have the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing all replaced at once. And it appears the OEM parts I need are manufactured from Sachs correct? Looks like Sachs K70424-01 clutch kit is the one I will need.

Anything else I should have looked at while the transmission is out or any other tips / suggestions for those of you who have had this work completed? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Crap Porsche clutch, I lost mine @ 66k, and I have never replaced a clutch with less than 150k.... I suspect a design flaw.

I am sorry that I did not use the Sachs HD clutch pressure plate, just to change the set-up.

You should not need a flywheel yet...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Trans has to come out. Have the flywheel checked, maybe ok, maybe not. Replace the RMS. My understanding is the 06 has the M97 motor and you can't easily upgrade the IMS. Check the CV joints and boots and trans and motor mounts while in there.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
IIRC in 2006 a Boxster could have either the latest M97 IMSB or the middle generation unreliable IMSB. All 2006 Cayman's had the new bearing. Sorry I don't recall how to differentiate. It's worth finding out and if not the latest version changing out with either new OEM or one of the aftermarket versions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you enjoy turning wrenches you can probably change the clutch yourself. I just finished doing mine and it was a great project. I was hesitant at first but after reading through all the great articles on the Cayman Register it didn't seem too daunting. I spent about a week putting in time on nights and Saturday morning - took my time. the exhaust was the only real pain as the 6 bolts the hold the exhaust pipes to the manifolds get pretty corroded.

My car has 83k and as far as I can tell this is it's first clutch. It still had meat on it - my problem was the bearing had worn and started to break apart where it contacts the pressure plate which kept the clutch from disengaging.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My advice is to be sure to buy the entire clutch kit, throw out bearing, and a new rear main seal from the Porsche dealership. Bottom line after about a 6 month goat rope the Sachs folks came back to my independent mechanic and said that a clutch kit #2 with their name and part number etched onto it was not one that they manufactured. My crazy story started with what you describe which is a pressure plate failure:

The pressure plate collapsed on my 09 Cayman at 45K miles the day before Thanksgiving. I was also surprised that this is a common problem.

January - After the holidays, Clutch kit #1 gets to mechanic's, ultimately was told that the clutch kit did not come with the throw out bearing. Appears that they are not part of the Porsche kit and have to be purchased separately?? Should have just bit the bullet then and got every extra part possible.

March – clutch kit #2 shows up, mechanic tells me that he notices that there are cracks on the clutch – thus it needs to go back. Since it was opened, the distributor needs to inspect the return since this is an expensive clutch kit – sounds plausible.

Late March – I am told that clutch kit #3 is here, and as part of the install I want the rear main seal replaced too, incorrect rear main seal sent. Takes 3 weeks to get the correct rear main seal, supposedly incorrect one sent two more times.

April into May – clutch kit #3 installed, clutch pedal is softer than it was with the collapsed pressure plate. I am told that mechanic calls distributor who connects him to Sachs’ customer service, they say oh this is the 3rd clutch kit where this happened. Mechanic wants advice on how to fix it – gets escalated to the Sachs regional rep who talks to mechanic as if it is an installer error until mechanic gives them the serial number off of some sort of Porsche “special tool” for pulling the clutch. Told that the Sachs rep has agreed to replace the clutch; 2 weeks pass no new clutch delivered, mechanic calls Sachs they say that the replacement has just been approved will go out the next Monday. Told that still no clutch here after another week.

May: Cayman has been sitting on a lift for 3 weeks with the exhaust, wheels, axles etc off waiting for clutch #4.

Beginning of June - Gets clutch kit from local Porsche dealer has to also get a separate throw out bearing etc. Installed and back on the road.

During this whole thing, wife takes to singing Ozzy's crazy train, includes using a pouch of coffee to get that chachacha sound. Over and over wife and child are screeching Ozzy’s “All Aboard” in unison. And yes I have been back to this independent who truly is a mechanic and not a parts hanger, brought another car in and it was in and out in 1 day.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
could be the slave cylinder if the pedal's stuck to the floor. Might as well change that too

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies!

Regarding the RMS thanks for the reminder! The dealership I got it from didn't know whether it had been replaced yet or not so I'll go ahead and add that in.

Ok a question about the flywheel. Should I just go ahead and have it resurfaced? Ive seen some threads where folks recommend it be resurfaced whenever the clutch is changed and others have recommended it be resurfaced every other clutch change.

As for the IMS bearing ... boy ... when I was researching Boxsters I came across that issue and thought I would get the "beefier" IMS bearing if I got a Boxster 2006 or newer. Didn't realize that some 06 Boxsters may have the older IMS bearing. I guess I missed that while researching. Now will have to figure out which motor I have.

Nomad, I do enjoy turning wrenches. My dad loved working on cars and tried his best to teach his sons. I've tackled a number of projects over the years but not a clutch. It does seem a bit daunting. I was reading up on the procedure and from what I've seen folks say its not too bad. My main concern is the amount of clearance I'll have with my current setup. I'm worried I won't have room to roll the transmission / transmission jack out from underneath the Boxster. And I'll have to read up on changing the RMS too now (and hopefully not an IMS bearing). Looks like I'll need a special tool for the RMS. It would be a fun project though and would love to save some money and learn a new skill. My concern though .. is this the car I want to learn the new skill on. ;)

JPS, sorry to hear about your "6 month goat rope" with Sachs. Since you are from Ohio would you have been driving the Cayman Jan - May? I grew up in Minnesota but now am in Denver. If I still lived in the midwest I don't think the Boxster would leave the garage period during those months. It can be nice enough in December here (sometimes 60-70 degrees) to take the Boxster out.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My advice is to be sure to buy the entire clutch kit, throw out bearing, and a new rear main seal from the Porsche dealership. Bottom line after about a 6 month goat rope the Sachs folks came back to my independent mechanic and said that a clutch kit #2 with their name and part number etched onto it was not one that they manufactured. My crazy story started with what you describe which is a pressure plate failure:
Where did you purchase the fake Sachs clutch from?

·
Registered
120 Posts
JPS, sorry to hear about your "6 month goat rope" with Sachs. Since you are from Ohio would you have been driving the Cayman Jan - May? I grew up in Minnesota but now am in Denver. If I still lived in the midwest I don't think the Boxster would leave the garage period during those months. It can be nice enough in December here (sometimes 60-70 degrees) to take the Boxster out.
Well... I am one of the folks that is not saving the car for someone else and yes I would have been driving it. I have a Miata that I have the top down at least once a month for 10 months a year - typically can't find a 50 degree day in Jan/Feb, but other than that I have the roof down.

Where did you purchase the fake Sachs clutch from?
Per my independent, it came from a local foreign parts distributor and Sachs went down a path of they have to investigate the supply chain.

·
Registered
317 Posts
As for the IMS bearing ... boy ... when I was researching Boxsters I came across that issue and thought I would get the "beefier" IMS bearing if I got a Boxster 2006 or newer. Didn't realize that some 06 Boxsters may have the older IMS bearing. I guess I missed that while researching. Now will have to figure out which motor I have.
I have done a bit of research re the IMS bearing, as I have a 2006 Boxster S too. It supports what you found.

To the best of my knowledge, all 2006 and later Boxsters have the larger—beefier as you say—third generation single-row IMS bearing. The transition to the third generation bearing appears to have occurred during the 2005 MY, resulting in some 2005 Boxsters having the more failure-prone second generation IMS bearing, while others have the less failure-prone third generation bearing.

My understanding is that the third generation bearing has a larger 22mm nut on the IMS flange. You could ask the technician who installs your clutch to examine said nut to determine its size. That seems to be one definitive way to determine if you have a third generation IMS bearing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I too have had to have the clutch replaced on my 2011 Boxster. In my case it required the replacement of the flywheel. The clutch replacement was done by my local Porsche dealer. The car had a little over 50,000 miles on it at the time the clutch was replaced. In my case some of the cause was due to many autocross starts. Contributing to problem is the long first gear (40+ mph) combined with having a limited slip differential. On my previous Boxster, a 2008, I probably did twice the number of autocrosses while putting on nearly 80,000 miles and did not need to replace the clutch.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
If you have the m97 engine, you can’t easily replace the IMS but you can remove the accessible rubber seal to help get oil in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I checked my engine serial number today and it starts with the code M96 so I've got the 3.2L M96 engine. I spent a couple hours re-reading IMS threads and read some conflicting things today but here's what the consensus seemed to be. Porsche added the M97 3.4L to the Boxster S in 2007 with the upgraded IMS bearing that was in the engine case. The Cayman S got this engine in 2006. The 06 Boxster S still had the M96 engine but it was upgraded with the same upgraded IMS bearing that was used in the M97 engines. This seems to be the case with the 06 Boxster only.

After I got done re-reading everything I was still confused as to whether the IMS was in my engines case or was accessible and could be changed out while doing my clutch.

I saw that LN engineering was mentioned in quite a few threads so I emailed them today to see if they could shed any light on my vehicle. I asked if the engines serial number could also help determine which bearing I might have. This was their response:

"Sir,

It isn’t based on engine M codes but model year. All 2006-2008 Cars (911, Boxster, Caymans) have the larger bearing that you cannot change without cracking the case."

So from what LN engineering is saying my 06 Boxster S has the upgraded in-case bearing that requires a full tear down to replace. (But in the M96 engine).

What Im thinking I'll do is just have the clutch work done on the vehicle by an independent mech. or the Porsche dealership (depending on price of course) Once the transmission is out I'll further inquire into whether the IMS is accessible or in the engine case. If it's in the case I'm not doing a tear down. If it has the upgraded bearing I'll probably just leave it be as the failure rate seems pretty low. At any rate I'll let everyone know what I find out.

I was getting excited about doing the clutch / RMS myself and found a buddy with a transmission jack too. The IMS install looks way out of my league though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello.

When in I did the clutch on my '07 Cayman S nearly two years ago I had a look at my IMS bearing by pulling the outer seal off (engine needs to be locked down first). There was no grease left - just engine oil.

I decided to install the DOF to ensure the bearing received a steady supply of oil. I didn't want to rely on what little oil worked its' way past the seal to lubricate the bearing.

Also, while you're in there doing the clutch replace the output shaft seal and other various wear items on the transmission.

Dual mass flywheels cannot be machined. I replaced my flywheel with a genuine Luk unit. At the time I paid $375 from RockAuto. I figured the price was worth the peace of mind as I don't plan to pull out the transmission anytime soon.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I also have a 07 Cayman S running little under 84k miles. I noticed slip about a month ago an now I'm in the process of ordering clutch kit.
I am second owner of this car. I plan o keepig this car at least 5+more years and it's my daily. Which other parts should I order other than the cluth kit to have peace of mind?
IAfter reading several posts on high mileaged caymans, I'm thinking Flywheel, Water pump, and DOF(I don't know about this yet but prevent IMS fail?). I just want to replace parts that might need attention in near future while the engine is out for the clutch replacement.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here's a list of what I did:

Pulled gearbox and performed the following on engine:
- Removed factory IMS flange
- Removed IMS bearing outer seal - bearings okay
- Replaced IMS o-ring with new (from Porsche)
- Installed DOF IMS flange including oil line
- Removed and replaced RMS
- Installed new LUK dual-mass factory flywheel
- Installed new flywheel bolts
- Installed new Sachs clutch kit
- Installed new pressure plate bolts

Removed and replaced the following on the gearbox:
- Guide tube
- O-ring for guide tube
- Input shaft seal
- Clutch lever pivot
- Clutch lever reatining spring
- Clutch release lever

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Migliore,

After seeing your post on the DOF, I did some reading on it. I'm getting some conflicting posts on whether the DOF is a worthwhile install and am currently leaning towards NOT installing it. Are you tracking your CS? Did you install the DOF yourself? The DOF is only offered through TuneRS Motorsports correct?

I would like to track my Boxster at some point but only plan on maybe doing an event once or twice a year.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, I installed the DOF myself. If you can change a clutch then you probably have the skills to do the install yourself. The engine does need to be locked down and this does require some specialty tools. I found a set on eBay for about $120.

I do not track my car. I drive it on the streets about 2-3 times a week. I might track it in the future, but I would want to install a deep sump first.

My understanding is the DOF is offered by either TuneRS Motorsports or Pedro's Garage as they co-developed it.

I don't understand the logic behind not installing the DOF. The seals on the IMS bearing do not prevent engine oil for getting into the bearing and washing out the grease. I saw this for myself when I pulled off the outer seal on my car. All that was left was engine oil. My ball bearings were still in excellent shape though.

I could have chanced it and left things alone, but I personally don't think that relying on whatever oil seeps past the seal will ensure long-term survival of the IMS bearing. Shooting a constant stream of oil under pressure makes sense. I agree with Pedro that lack of lubrication is the cause of bearing failure.

People say don't bother with the DOF because the chance of failure is so low. Are these same people going to write you a check if your IMS bearing fails and your engine grenades?

To my understanding not a single engine has suffered an IMS bearing failure with the DOF installed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Migliore,

After seeing your post on the DOF, I did some reading on it. I'm getting some conflicting posts on whether the DOF is a worthwhile install and am currently leaning towards NOT installing it. Are you tracking your CS? Did you install the DOF yourself? The DOF is only offered through TuneRS Motorsports correct?

I would like to track my Boxster at some point but only plan on maybe doing an event once or twice a year.
hi there Daily limit! Not sure how far you are into your clutch replacement project but here a thread I had started on mine that I did back in March. There are lots of good advice there from more experienced DIYers of this forum.

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-boxster-service-tech/104718-transmission-drop-how-undo-muffler.html

Just like Miglore mentions, I also did not notice any grease left in the bearing when I removed the outer bearing seal. So, I went ahead an ordered DOF from TuneRS distributor in UK. The delivery was going to take a while, so I decided to put the transmission back on with the replaced clutch kit and install the DOF mod in a year when I pull things apart again to check it out. So, right now, I am running the engine with the IMS bearing outer seal removed.

So far I hav enot had any problems. My engines can be pretty "crackly" at times. I have gotten used to it. I have a video in that thread where I record this "crackle" noise with the transmission dropped. Some though it was the chains beding the IMS outter housing/opening. Again, the engine is running better than ever and I have not had any problem 5 months into running the IMS bearing without the outer seal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts