Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although my tires have only 10,000 km on them but they are literally abused and need replacing soon. Not sure if I can afford doing so now along with the turbo kit (stage 2 :banana:) or delay it a bit.

I'd be grateful if you can address all my questions one by one. My questions:

1) Would the condition of the tires affect the reading of the dyno?

2) Did anyone try sticky tires on your Cayman turbo for street driving? If so, what type? And how do you feel about it?

3) Are you still using the same tires size recommended by Porsche for Cayman? Or did you go for wider tires? If so, why? What size? Pro's and con's?

4) Did you do any other mods because of the turbo kit? Like suspensions? Brakes? If so, what type? And how important was it?

5) For a street car (not a track car) with PASM driven by a mad driver ;) is the suspension mod a must for the stability of the Cayman turbo? If so, which stage?

6) Does anybody have LSD on his Cayman turbo? If so, what type? How important is it for street driving?

7) For the routine regular maintenance of your Cayman, does your Porsche dealer handle it or do you need to send it to the shop that installed the turbo kit for you?

Thank you all in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Good questions. Unfortunately, I can't answer any of them but would be interested in the answers to 4 and 7. :)

-Moto

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Good questions indeed. I too am interested in their answers!

Nice sig BTW ;)

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I can answer 1 and 6.

1 - No the condition of your tires isn't going to affect the dyno much at all, severly worn tires may show a small bump up in HP vs. brand new ones because of the smaller circumference and corresponding change in the gear ratio which may or may not be accounted for by the dyno, but that difference is so small that it is likely to be within the margin of error for any dyno run. I suppose if your tires are in very bad condition and shred and fly apart on the dyno that yeah that will affect your outcome. :)

6 - I wouldn't do a turbo without LSD, it is already pretty easy to break the tires loose with the factory open differential, adding more power is only going to make it even more so. That means losing traction, losing control, and losing speed/acceleration if you keep the open differential and don't go to either a LSD or TBD type differential. I think for your driving style and use a TBD makes the most sense.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Most of our clients have retained an open differential. I recommend starting with the turbo system and working from there.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm afraid that it turned out it is cheaper to get married than to have a "Mistress" !!! :D

LOL

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,646 Posts
Marriage is cheap, it's the divorce that gets you !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
6 - I wouldn't do a turbo without LSD, it is already pretty easy to break the tires loose with the factory open differential, adding more power is only going to make it even more so. That means losing traction, losing control, and losing speed/acceleration if you keep the open differential and don't go to either a LSD or TBD type differential. I think for your driving style and use a TBD makes the most sense.
i plan to have a guard transmission tbd installed first (matt monson indicated that the tbd for the 5-spd should be available in a couple of weeks) to address that potential problem. casey has also suggested upgrading the anti-sway bars.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
For the diehard local guys, like dominic and brian we do some of their servicing, especially brian... The maintenance is no different than the factory car. We just recommend that you change the oil at around 5k miles rather than 12k like the book says.

We always just recommend starting with the turbo system... If you feel you want to transform another part of your car, it is possible but we recommend doing it in pieces... Unless your car is sent to us in pieces, then we suggest doing it all at once.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
2) Did anyone try sticky tires on your Cayman turbo for street driving? If so, what type? And how do you feel about it?
Sport Cups on the street for awhile and they were fun. I don't drive aggressive on street....way too many people around.

3) Are you still using the same tires size recommended by Porsche for Cayman? Or did you go for wider tires? If so, why? What size? Pro's and con's?
245 front and 275-295 rear. Works well on track. Keep an eye on the overall diameters, keep close to stock or you could have some PSM/ABS issues.

4) Did you do any other mods because of the turbo kit? Like suspensions? Brakes? If so, what type? And how important was it?
Sway bars, clutch/flywheel, brakes, LSD, JRZ's I think sway bars are a must with the turbo. TPC has great bars and can give you the perfect setting. You might consider a more aggressive brake pad too. I would recommend taking some time with the mods and only add one thing at a time if possible.

5) For a street car (not a track car) with PASM driven by a mad driver ;) is the suspension mod a must for the stability of the Cayman turbo? If so, which stage?
PASM should work fine. Again, I think a more aggressive bar is important.

6) Does anybody have LSD on his Cayman turbo? If so, what type? How important is it for street driving? I have the Guard LSD, great product, and Mike Levitas has tweaked the ramps for me. I would say the LSD is not important for dry street driving but for you ????? It might be something to consider but drive without first.

7) For the routine regular maintenance of your Cayman, does your Porsche dealer handle it or do you need to send it to the shop that installed the turbo kit for you?
In addition to motor oil changes I have TPC change my gear oil 2-3 times a year. I watch my power steering fluid, tread wear and brake pads closely.
Have fun with your turbo! But be careful.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Comments from a non turbo souped up CS owner:

Although my tires have only 10,000 km on them but they are literally abused and need replacing soon. Not sure if I can afford doing so now along with the turbo kit (stage 2 :banana:) or delay it a bit.

Nothing further to add than what Kman said, however if the tyres look bad the Dyno operator may refuse to do a Dyno run.

R-specs on the street are fantastic, however as they are made of soft rubber dont expect them to last that long. Maybe half or less. I suggest to read up a bit on the treadwear rating that is marked on the tyre sidewall.

I have 295/235 R-specs [when fitted]. The extra grip is very noticeable. Downside is $$.

I suggest you do the Turbo first, get used to it and become one with the car, then do the other changes later. You will learn more this way.

6) Does anybody have LSD on his Cayman turbo? If so, what type? How important is it for street driving?
LSD is great. If you break the rear loose it is so controlled and predicable :dance:

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
BMWalsh why do you change your gear oil so often? Just the differential oil, or transmission also?

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts

Only if they are really big, 20s or so.

No

Stock tires on stock Rims, will go with 18s next when these are done. Maybe 245 and 275 but not bigger, good enough for street.

The only thing I did because of the turbo was LWFW, X51 clutch which basically were add-ons to the turbo kit and then The GT3 brake pads. the brake pads in my opinion are a good thing to slow the monster down. the LWFW and clutch make the turbo more enjoyable but are not necessary.

I have H&R coil overs and swaybars. TPC adjustable toe links. Makes a great handling car eveb better but also the ride harsher. For the road I would go with the Bilsteins if I had to do it over or TPC's stage 3 at the most.

I have the Quaife TBD. Not necessary for street driving but yummy on those twisties.

Depending where I am, either one will do.

hope that helps

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Schwabe & everybody else,

As always, very helpful indeed... thank you all.

I see new tires, GT3 brakes, TPC sway bars & TBD next on my list... But let me recover $$$$$ from the turbo upgrade :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts