Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about going after a left over 2008 CS Sport and wanted to get some advice on pricing. There's something about this car, the way it's equipped and the way it looks that I'm drawn to. Can't explain it, but I just like them. Then I start crunching the numbers.

These cars, with a few options, ended up with an MSRP in the $75-ish range. The dealers with left over CS Sports seem to be asking around the low 60s, roughly 20% off for the sake of discussion. One dealer has two CS Sports left he's now asking $61k for. While not yet titled, these cars' warranty has been "punched," so the clock is ticking, thus, they are used cars. Can anyone definitively say that these cars are now used?

I just went to the NADA site and a "used" 2008 Cayman S with 100 or so miles has a clean retail of just south of $50K. If I were to buy one of the left over CS Sports for $61K, am I throwing away $11k?

Using the Search feature here in the forums, I've seen that some members bought their left over 2008s with as much as a 29% discount. Applying this same percentage discount would bring the CS to the low 50s, say $52k. Somehow, I don't see a Porsche dealer knocking another $9k off his price for the sake of moving a unit. Is a low 50s price even realistic?

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Best,
BC

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Been thinking about going after a left over 2008 CS Sport and wanted to get some advice on pricing. There's something about this car, the way it's equipped and the way it looks that I'm drawn to. Can't explain it, but I just like them. Then I start crunching the numbers.

These cars, with a few options, ended up with an MSRP in the $75-ish range. The dealers with left over CS Sports seem to be asking around the low 60s, roughly 20% off for the sake of discussion. One dealer has two CS Sports left he's now asking $61k for. While not yet titled, these cars' warranty has been "punched," so the clock is ticking, thus, they are used cars. Can anyone definitively say that these cars are now used?

I just went to the NADA site and a "used" 2008 Cayman S with 100 or so miles has a clean retail of just south of $50K. If I were to buy one of the left over CS Sports for $61K, am I throwing away $11k?

Using the Search feature here in the forums, I've seen that some members bought their left over 2008s with as much as a 29% discount. Applying this same percentage discount would bring the CS to the low 50s, say $52k. Somehow, I don't see a Porsche dealer knocking another $9k off his price for the sake of moving a unit. Is a low 50s price even realistic?

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Best,
BC

BC:

I'm trying to understand the rational of going after a 2008 at all. 2006 and '07 CS's are going for under 40K with low miles and good option packages. There is literally no difference between them and an '08. Sure, you get more warranty, but if you spend a little on preventative maintenance and optioning, you basically have your 2008 with a lot of money in your pocket.

The ticket would be to find a lightly used '09. The extra power is significant. The engine has a better oiling system if you ever get the car on the track.
If you get one with PDK, you should also look for Sport Chrono, otherwise, a flash will soon be available if it's not already, that will basically give you "Sport Mode" all the time. Other improvements are the electronics and the suspension. PASM on an '09 isn't needed for ride comfort. We hear the ride is quite acceptable, even on 19's, with the stock '09 suspension. PASM would only be needed if you want a quick and dirty "track suspension" available from the dash.

So, there are a lot of reasons to get an '09, nothing that favors an '08 over an '06 or '07 in my little warped mind, at least.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I just went to the NADA site and a "used" 2008 Cayman S with 100 or so miles has a clean retail of just south of $50K. If I were to buy one of the left over CS Sports for $61K, am I throwing away $11K?
One could easily argue that anytime someone buys a new Cayman you are throwing away at least $10K by just driving it off the lot. Once you buy the Sport and drive it off the lot you might find that you have trouble getting more than the low-40s for it, so you could see this as a case of throwing away almost $20K for car that is a generation behind.

On the other hand, do you really have a thing for a CS Sport, or are you just attracted by what looks like a bargain? Personally, I'm not attracted to a Sport, but I know someone with one of the green examples that thinks it is the coolest car he's ever seen, and paid nearly MSRP to drive it off the dealer's lot (in 2008. admittedly). If that's you too, I think a left-over new Sport might be a reasonable deal at $61K. If not, and any old CS will really do, $61K is a lot of money for a two-year-old car with a sticker of $75K.

As for whether low-$50s is realistic, make 'em an offer. You'll find out soon enough on their counter-offer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts