Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water pump is dying and I am very slowly (drips) losing coolant over the last few weeks.
I checked the levels and they are at minimum.
I plan to have the water pump replaced in about a week so wondered if it was ok to add additional coolant liquid (Pedro's Garage recommended Preston long life as has same qualities as Porsche - and I found out this morning from a local independent Porsche dealer that they also make Porsche's fluid.)
It's just a short term solution to ensure the levels are ok, despite being a mix of old/new coolant.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
310 Posts
(Pedro's Garage recommended Preston long life as has same qualities as Porsche - and I found out this morning from a local independent Porsche dealer that they also make Porsche's fluid.)Thoughts?
I would really like to know if this is true. I've read so much here about coolant. It's not just the money, I don't live very close to a dealer and if it's a simple answer, that would be great. But like many other things Porsche, nobody wants to screw up their cars using the wrong stuff. And, did you mean Prestone? Thanks, C.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called a local Porsche Independent (Redmond European) that has been recommended by other WA forum members.
I asked specifically about supplying/using Prestone coolant as I had read this was just as good as the Porsche branded one, and they laughed and said that the Porsche coolant is just a re-branded Prestone.
I feel confident that I can follow Pedro's method of using 3 gallons of Prestone and 3 gallons of distilled water. If you have a local O'Reilly auto parts store the part is:

Prestone AF2000 - Antifreeze/Coolant | O'Reilly Auto Parts

At $45 plus the costs of distilled water, it's a heck of better deal than paying Porsche $35 per gallon (essentially over $200 installed) for the same stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts