Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, received my cable in the mail last week for the Softronic ECU flash.

I've done a lot of reading etc about the installation procedures and there is definitely something wrong with what's going on with mine.

The key has been turned to ignition "2" and my car has been on a battery maintainer during the following.

1. First time I plugged into the car then to my laptop, my laptop recognized there was something trying to connect and the double audio tone was signaled.

2. Screen popped up and said that I don't have the right Durametric software drivers :confused:

3. My computer searched for the drivers but could not find them.

4. Screen asked to insert the Durametric software disc (I have not heard of needing a disc)

5. Screen told me to contact the company to get the proper drivers

The above repeated several times so I sent Softronic an email describing what I basically just wrote here.

At that point I tried looking for some missing drivers... wasn't missing anything that would pertain to this installation.

I went to Geek Squad and told them what was going on and how I was missing some drivers that I needed to allow myself to open the Softronic program so it could start downloading information from my car.

The man there was helpful, a car guy and knew what I was talking about. At that point we searched "Durametric Drivers" in google. I found this

Porsche Diagnostic Tool Manuals and Drivers

At the bottom of the screen there is a driver download. "Durametric USB Cable drivers"

I downloaded that.

When I got home. I repeated the installation procedures. I plugged the cable into my car, then into my laptop. A small screen said that the drivers were successfully installed. BUT nothing happened after that for a good 10 minutes...

What is going on? Am I missing something?

I am using an HP Laptop running 64-bit Vista

I honestly just wish modifications could go by without problems once

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Yes, you are doing something wrong. You are missing Softronic software that you need to install first on your laptop. Softronic should have or did send you a link to download this software. Double check if a 64-bit version is supported, not sure here.

But check all your Softronic e-mail. You may have missed a link that explains where and how to download the software.

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
Hello,

What version are you trying to install? The only time the driver issue comes up as you describe is because you tried installing the software with the cable plugged into the USB port. ALL usb driven equipment requires that you install the software first and then plug in the cable so that the drivers can be loaded.

Basically install the software and drivers then plug in the cable after the install is completed.

Best,
Scott

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you are doing something wrong. You are missing Softronic software that you need to install first on your laptop. Softronic should have or did send you a link to download this software. Double check if a 64-bit version is supported, not sure here.

But check all your Softronic e-mail. You may have missed a link that explains where and how to download the software.
Hello Tomasz,

Thanks for the quick response. I did a joint order from Maxspeed-Motorsports where they were offering a 10% discount on the Softronic software with the purchase of any exhaust equipment.

I received the exhaust last Friday and was told the Softronic cable was being sent out as well. I received the Softronic box last Saturday and the only thing inside was the cable. No CD's, no instructions, just an empty box with a cable in a clear plastic bag.

I have no emails from softronic on where to download this software.

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
Hello,

Who did you buy the software from?

Softronic would have sent you and email with all info if bought directly and if not Maxspeed should have if you bought it from them.

Best,
Scott

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,

What version are you trying to install? The only time the driver issue comes up as you describe is because you tried installing the software with the cable plugged into the USB port. ALL usb driven equipment requires that you install the software first and then plug in the cable so that the drivers can be loaded.

Basically install the software and drivers then plug in the cable after the install is completed.

Best,
Scott
Hello Scott,

Thanks for the quick response. I have no idea what version I am trying to install. When I added your 987 Softronic ECU tuning to my order at Maxspeed-Motorsports found here Porsche Softronic ECU Tuning I was given the 10% off and was told the cable was being shipped direct from Softronic. All I received in the package was the Durametric cable, nothing else. I have the feeling that I am missing something by the responses from both of you. However I don't know what that is.

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
Hello Scott,

Thanks for the quick response. I have no idea what version I am trying to install. When I added your 987 Softronic ECU tuning to my order at Maxspeed-Motorsports found here Porsche Softronic ECU Tuning I was given the 10% off and was told the cable was being shipped direct from Softronic. All I received in the package was the Durametric cable, nothing else. I have the feeling that I am missing something by the responses from both of you. However I don't know what that is.
Maxspeed should have emailed you the software as you bought it from them . Do you have a Durametric/Softronic cable or just Softronic? They are all Softronic from us and not Durametric cables. Does it say both on it or just Softronic?

Best,
Scott

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello,

Who did you buy the software from?

Softronic would have sent you and email with all info if bought directly and if not Maxspeed should have if you bought it from them.

Best,
Scott
I bought the software from Maxspeed. Odd, I guess they will be getting an upset email.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Maxspeed should have emailed you the software as you bought it from them . Do you have a Durametric/Softronic cable or just Softronic? They are all Softronic from us and not Durametric cables. Does it say both on it or just Softronic?

Best,
Scott
No emails from Maxspeed about software downloads. The cable I was sent says "Softronic" I will upload a photo momentarily...

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
Send me an PM so that I can send it to you.

You may want to contact your vendor of purchase directly in the future as I may have not found this post.

Best,
Scott SLauson

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bump on this thread...

Am having problems flashing SW into my ECU. Using a Pentium something PC w/ 1GB ram running WinXP... have battery charger connected... but - flash writing will not complete. Seems like flash utility is using a LOT of CPU power and PC is stalling. Ugh, I hope I dont have to remove ECU.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
email or call Softronics rather than post here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Going through that channel as well. Can't really see what we are doing wrong, but if the solution gets posted here, at least it might help someone else in the future

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Disable all antivirus and all other background programs including screen saver etc.

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
Going through that channel as well. Can't really see what we are doing wrong, but if the solution gets posted here, at least it might help someone else in the future
Hello,

First off you have to use the correct cable as you or the shop was using two differant cables in trying to read and program. When using these two differant cables you had the flash client running 5 or so time in the background eating up the processor and memory. The solution would be to use the one cable for the car.

On another note make sure all the info such as name and email is in the message section so the files can be sent.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tried again with a different PC this evening and the programming was successful. We had some confusion over which cable was the right one as we recieved one in the drop shipment from Softronic and Vivid mistakenly put another one in a box with some other stuff I ordered from them. We did attempt programming first with the "wrong" cable, then switched to the other one. This must have been our problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey to all,

I'm have a very peculiar problem and according to Softronic / Vividracing I'm the only one in the planet enjoying this issue.

Just want to know if there's others out there with a similar problem as I doubt these guys will ever disclose that sort of info to me.

Essentially, I have a 996TT which I've modded several parts on it and now I need a flash.

I've had it flashed in the past by Kevin from UMW and to achieve that he sent me a little adaptor that plugged into the 996 and within a few seconds I downloaded the file, then sent it to Kevin, I received the modded file and then uploaded it to my car. All DONE! Easy, quick and painless.

Now however, after 1 week of messing around with vividracing, I'm still on square one and I just don't know what I could be doing wrong.

I received the cable from them about a week ago and my process to get this going has been exact as advertised on their web site.

I grabbed a new HP laptop that's been hardly used here at work (didn't want to install on my own), the laptop has Vista Home edition and all up to date with updates. I installed their latest software 3.44, THEN after plugged in the cable supplied (drivers installed perfectly), THEN plugged the cable into my car (ignition off at this stage), THEN turned on ignition (green light on cable turns ON), then attempted to run the software (while connected to internet AND power to wall AND charger to battery of car), but software reports “unable to initialize, make sure car is ON”.

Tried the procedure a few times and NO joy.

After spending several hours, I decided to simply take my own laptop which has W7 installed on it (a Sony Vaio) and repeated the above procedure. First installed software, then plugged in cable, then did all the rest. SAME result!

Went back to vividracing during all these times, every time being told that its likely to be user fault (and I tend to agree with those statements because I have a telco company and our customers are generally at fault), so I keep chugging along trying different combinations. Eventually vivid racing sends me an older version of software 2.5 and this time I get further! BUT, program stalls at saying "there's no VIN number or VIN number doesn't match"! OMG. I'm on my fourth day btw doing this, because I have a company to run and I can’t spend an entire day on this.

Anyway, vividracing are sticking to 99.9% user fault and so I keep trying. So far, Vista machine, no luck, W7 laptop no luck. With both computers I can do EVERYTHING else during testing, proper internet surfing (fast), anti virus turned off (on my laptop), Zone alarm turned off also. But note that on the first laptop with Vista neither of these existed because the laptop was only used ONCE for a presentation.

Anyway, I try one last time. I get another NEW laptop (yes we have lots of laptops unused here) and I install Win XP. I spend a whole morning updating EVERY bit of windows, restarting dozens of times, until windows reported no more updates available.

Then I install 3.44 from vividracing and go through the steps above. SAME result!

So what is going on here I ask myself. (OH I almost forgot to say that when the no VIN error above came up, vividracing told me that IT was the problem and to get my 996 ECU reflashed by Porsche. So I contacted Porsche and they said $280 for the job, so I looked around a little more (I'm in Sydney, AU) and found another mechanic with a PIWIS clone and he charged me $100 to do the same job. He plugged it into my car and before doing anything to it, WHALA - ALL OK, VIN reported which matched my registration papers and NOTHING wrong!).

Anyway, moving on. A friend of mine has a 996 stock standard, never touched so I thought to plug it on his car and see if it was MY car faulty (even after plugging in PIWIS which showed all OK) because hey, I'm in IT and I know computer can do very funny and strange things. So I plug it in his car and SAME problem!

So, I would like to ask somebody here - have you experienced anything similar, does the above sound to you as 99.9% user fault?

Please remember quick facts, 3 different laptops, 2 new never used, modern machines, with 3 DIFFERENT versions of windows and fully updated to latest. TWO different cars.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts