Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cayman Blogger
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick update from Madison, WI on the ground I've covered since I left Deadwood, SD, though I'm short on good pics and good stories because I've spent the last couple days in the middle of nowhere in the pouring rain. Haven't had a day without rain in two weeks, but the last two days were particularly bad.

You'll be delighted to know that I did manage to find Mt. Rushmore without any help from Mrs. Garmin (the 200 signs from I-90 to Keystone helped), but when I got there, the torrential rain and dense fog made it impossible to get a picture. No way could I do this trip and not get a picture of Mt. Rushmore--totally out of the question. So, I spent the night at a dingy little motel in Keystone, got my pics in the morning (from under my umbrella after waiting for an hour for the fog to lift) and then hit the road, headed for Madison.

I promised a woman I met in Glacier that I would (a) get a donut at Wall Drug and (b) drive through Badlands National Park on this leg of my trip, so I did, even though it meant not making it to Madison last night. I have to say that the badlands were alright, but the donut blew my mind...best donut I have ever had in my life--crusty outside, but so moist inside it melted in my mouth and it had this grainy, sugary maple frosting--beyond delicious, totally worth the detour. After the badlands, I jumped back on 90 and drove as fast as I could across South Dakota and half of Wisconsin through the torrential rain that never let up the whole way (sidenote: I fell in love with my car all over again yesterday--even with minimal tread left on my tires, I had better traction when I would hit those big puddles at 85-90 than any of the trucks and SUVs trying to keep up with me). I finally ended up in a motel off 90 somewhere outside La Crosse, WI around 11 last night.

I killed today finishing off the drive to Madison, getting my blown fuse and k40 fixed and answering amazing emails (some that honestly put tears in my eyes) from lawyers who just discovered my blog because abovethelaw.com (which I used to read religiously when I was a big firm lawyer, but haven't checked out once since I walked out of my office for the last time) did a piece about it. It feels so strange to be the subject of an ATL piece, instead of being the lawyer chained to my desk at 8 or 9pm, eating dinner from the cafeteria, reading ATL for a few minutes of entertainment and escapism because I have hours to go before I can walk out the door.

Just bizarre to be looking back from here at how my life used to be, as I read through these emails from lawyers (some chained to their desks and hating their lives and others who have recently been laid off too) telling me how inspired they are by what I am doing. I've been so busy just charging forward everyday since I started this trip that I haven't done much looking back. Today was the first day I realized how far I have come in the last couple months from the life I used to live and the person I used to be. Really eye-opening day...thank you for the emails.

Mount Rushmore from under my umbrella...

Wall Drug from under my umbrella...

Soaked mountain goat in the badlands from inside my car...

Badlands from under my umbrella...

More badlands from under my umbrella...​

More...

·
Cayman Blogger
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the offer! I will be in Chicago Saturday night because my friend's new band is opening for the Eagles. So, it looks like I would hit Pittsburgh Sunday evening. Not sure if that'll work for you, but send me a private message if it might and we can figure something out...thanks!

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Thanks for the offer! I will be in Chicago Saturday night because my friend's new band is opening for the Eagles. So, it looks like I would hit Pittsburgh Sunday evening. Not sure if that'll work for you, but send me a private message if it might and we can figure something out...thanks!

I see you raised some ire on that legal blog. :)

Of course I can't believe you are blowing off the middle of the country either...
:hilarious:

·
Cayman Blogger
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did I raise some ire or did some big fat bald guy sitting in his kitchen in his boxers blogging all his wildest fantasies and photoshopping like there is no tomorrow raise some ire? That's the real question... ;-)

Such complete and utter morons...but I do love knowing that what I'm doing is so awesome that people think it can't possibly be real. As the editor of the piece put it (when he emailed me to tell me what a kick he was getting out of the conspiracy theory comments), from the perspective of these miserable guys chained to their desks, "it's just too good to be true."

Sorry about blowing off the middle of the country, just not enough windy roads and gay bars to suck me in ;-) Maybe my next trip can be a smaller interior loop...

k

·
Registered
476 Posts
How do the Wall Drug donuts compare to the ones they sell at the top of Pikes Peak? I've always thought the Pikes Peak donuts were really good, particularly if you arrived at the summit on foot.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did I raise some ire or did some big fat bald guy sitting in his kitchen in his boxers blogging all his wildest fantasies and photoshopping like there is no tomorrow raise some ire? That's the real question... ;-)

Such complete and utter morons...but I do love knowing that what I'm doing is so awesome that people think it can't possibly be real. As the editor of the piece put it (when he emailed me to tell me what a kick he was getting out of the conspiracy theory comments), from the perspective of these miserable guys chained to their desks, "it's just too good to be true."

Sorry about blowing off the middle of the country, just not enough windy roads and gay bars to suck me in ;-) Maybe my next trip can be a smaller interior loop...

k

I've never seen a greater collection of general misanthropy than in the comments section of Above the Law. I mean, I like to pretend that I hate humanity, but I've got nothing on those folks--even the comments to the most benign posts about salary increases are enough to put me on a suicide watch, so it's not surprising that they reacted so violently to what is essentially a tale of intellectual and psychological liberation.

Anyway, as a lawyer (ugh) and a new 987S owner I've been enjoying the hell out of your blog since someone tipped me off to it last week. Thanks for a great collection of stories.

·
Registered
324 Posts
...Mount Rushmore from under my umbrella...
just recently discovered this remarkable account of your cross-country odyssey and am enjoying it immensely. thanks for sharing it - and your photographic imagery - with us.

the faces of mt. rushmore appear to be crying - seemingly in genuine disappointment over the terrible troubles currently confronting the people of this country.

·
Cayman Blogger
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
PST and Phil,

Thank you very much for your comments. I am glad you are enjoying my adventures as much as I am (well...almost ;-)).

Ghost Rider, didn't have a donut at Pikes Peak, sorry, next time...

k

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ketch Me's Rear End Caught in Pittsburgh

Let me know if and when your route will take you through Pittsburgh. I can show you the best view of the City and hook you up with iconic Pittsburgh food. [email protected]
Ketch Me reaches Pittsburgh. She was lovely and sweet and pretty well beat from her cross country trek. After dinner and a trip up Mt. Washington for the scenic view of the city she was off for a well deserved sleep. Sadly the fading light prevented a better arrival photo.

·
Cayman Blogger
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dearest Mr. Pittsburgh,

I had such a great time (tired as I was). Thank you very much for the tour of your city. Looking forward to meeting up again in the near future.

xo,
Ketch

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Let us know when you'll be back in the Tri-State area, the Nor'easters will put together a welcome home run for ya!

·
Cayman Blogger
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Pete,

I love the idea, but I think it would be too tricky to pull off without giving away the location of home base. Maybe I can meet up with you and anybody else who is interested at some point this summer at an autocross or just for a fun driving day. I think I will keep blogging periodically while I work on my book, so I'm definitely up for it. Feel free to private message me to discuss if you're interested.

Take care,
k

1 - 13 of 13 Posts