Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about the R8. I don't like the look as much as the Gallardo (or maybe even as much as my 981) and it doesn't sound as good, but it is more practical and could work as my only car (the Gallardo would require me to have 2 cars).

Anyone come from an R8 to a 981 or vice versa or have significant experience driving one?

I do intend to test drive one, but it would be helpful to hear from those who have had more experience with one than a 15 minute test drive.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I drove an Audi R8 V10 with exotics racing in Las Vegas (so my experience is 7 laps on their track).

It's much more roomy on the inside as compared with say a Ferrari and overall its a gorgeous car inside and out. On the race track I felt it had significant understeer dialed in. A disappointing amount to be honest. I also drove the Huracan which is based on the newer R8 and it handled great, so this struck me as something that could be adjusted.

The R8 was overheating after my 7 laps on the track.

The motor sounds amazing and has awesome power. I came away thinking it was a very livable super car, though the understeer and overheating would have me doing some research if it was a car I planned to track.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had a r8 V8 with manual for 4 years and 2014 V10 with Stronic about 1 year. The V8'manual was much more fun to drive and felt lighter. Power of the V10 is great. I liked the V8 exhaust sound over the V 10. Wife liked just the opposite. Also owned in the same time period a base 981 Boxster and a S model. The R8 has much less road/tire noise than either of the boxsters. R8 was a much better extended trip car over the boxster, except for luggage space. I personally like the road/steering feel of the boxster over the R8. My plan was to get a new redesigned version R8 when released but I'm having second thoughts. The r8 is a very dependable everyday driver. It gets a lot of attention anywhere you drive it.
New boxster GTS should arrive around mid December. If the new R8 doesn't pan out I may pick up a preowned jaguar F type r next year. I'm telling me age but I like/grew up,on hp v8'cars. Just love that exhaust note.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've only driven the R8 V10 for about 30 minutes on a World Class Cars half-day tour about five years ago. Everyone enjoyed driving the R8 more than the Ferraris, Bentley, or Lamborghini. I was really wowed by it until I saw the luggage space; it was really small. I think the newer R8's may have more room in front but take a good look at that before you fall it love with the R8.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a r8 V8 with manual for 4 years and 2014 V10 with Stronic about 1 year. The V8'manual was much more fun to drive and felt lighter. Power of the V10 is great. I liked the V8 exhaust sound over the V 10. Wife liked just the opposite. Also owned in the same time period a base 981 Boxster and a S model. The R8 has much less road/tire noise than either of the boxsters. R8 was a much better extended trip car over the boxster, except for luggage space. I personally like the road/steering feel of the boxster over the R8. My plan was to get a new redesigned version R8 when released but I'm having second thoughts. The r8 is a very dependable everyday driver. It gets a lot of attention anywhere you drive it.
New boxster GTS should arrive around mid December. If the new R8 doesn't pan out I may pick up a preowned jaguar F type r next year. I'm telling me age but I like/grew up,on hp v8'cars. Just love that exhaust note.
thx, which was one was more fun as a road car, if you had to go grab milk on a twisty road, would you take the 981 or the R8?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a short quick run I would usually jump in the boxster
interesting, to me that indicates the 981 actually brings more driving enjoyment and fun. For me, it's not the curb appeal or exotic looks of an r8 or Gallardo that motivate me (in fact I don't think I would like the attention I would get aside from bringing smiles to people's faces), but rather it's about whether I would get more driving pleasure and fun from them. I do wonder whether the pros of sound and power they offer would outweigh the cons of less visibility, larger size and less nimble feel. Part of the reason why the C7 didn't do it for me was because of its cons in those areas compared to the 981.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Don't you have a new CS atm with 'sporty options'?

I think you need to be more specific on what you are looking for in a comparison. You want neck snapping acceleration or comfort/practicality? I haven't actually test drove an AUDI R8, but was looking into it. Is not a car I would stack miles on or drive around daily from my research...though it would be a blast to get some thrills out of. A cayman you could do both because its comfortable, efficient, has plenty of storage room, not considered an exotic 'super car' (and the problems that come with that title), and definitely a 'sports car.'

It comes down to 'what do you want and for what purpose' really. I think the new Porsche cars are an excellent balance or sports/daily. Driving a base boxster around, I would not want anything sportier for daily use and actually maybe rather have more comfort (this is after 1 year and 25k miles). I would not buy an R8.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The best advice would be to go test drive both cars. If you can get them for an extended period of time even better. I test drove two different R8's (both v8's one manual one r-tronic) as well as a 997 GTS and the 981. I ended up with the 981 CS mostly due to wife $ concerns...heh. In my case I want(ed) something more exotic so I am still mulling a switch to an R8 at some point or maybe an Evora 400....

Anyhow my takeaways were ...

R8:
- felt wider/bigger/heavier/lower
- was more planted...felt like an old heavy exotic
- Wasn't as fast as I was expecting... The v8 moves but not to the expectation I had.
- AWD gives you confidence
- looks exotic... low slung, more rare to see.
- will generate more looks from people
- V8 with a proper exhaust sounds really good.
- Gated shifter is pretty good. Clutch is very light/easy to use. I hated the clunky r-tronic
- Dated radio / navi system

981:
- More nimble feeling.
- Fairly fast but smooth...maybe felt a little faster than the R8 even tho it is slower?
- Electronic steering is a draw back for me as is gearing ratios
- Good for turn in, very strong on cornering and grip
- In red still get some looks but nothing like an R8.. of course I am in CA where p-cars abound...
- With PSE or a good exhaust sounds pretty good.
- Probably one of the best shifters ever made...But the clutch is fairly long and heavy per typical porsche.
- I prefer 6MT but for a daily driver would seriously consider PDK which is quite good tho more boring to drive imho.
- Lots of storage space and practicality
- Very good modern radio / navi

997 GTS:
- Dated interior
- Fast without realizing how crazy fast it was... 981 felt like a sloth afterwards
- I could feel that engine weight in the back...didn't like it.
- Quiet and roomy..felt like a DD car... exhaust too far back to enjoy..prefer mid engine sounds

I think reality is all of these cars can be DD and people use them that way. Your question about which car was taken was a good one... altho I wonder for fun drives how much "convertible" enters into that equation. But I would bet for twisty drives the Cayman will actually feel more light and nimble. If you don't care about exotics it might be a good option. I go to car events with a buddy who has a V10 R8...the attention that car draws even with my Cayman next to it is ridiculous. It's a different league.. .my car will be basically ignored. Heh. :\

The other flip side if you are so inclined to consider is owner groups and events. Both Audi and Porsche have their clubs. Another benefit of the Cayman for me was I joined the PCA, have done club drives but have also done a number of Autocross events. I've become a much better driver and way more acquainted with what my car can do. Not sure I would have AX'd a low slung r8...

Anyhow good luck on your decision... go slow and definitely drive both first!!!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't you have a new CS atm with 'sporty options'?

I think you need to be more specific on what you are looking for in a comparison. You want neck snapping acceleration or comfort/practicality? I haven't actually test drove an AUDI R8, but was looking into it. Is not a car I would stack miles on or drive around daily from my research...though it would be a blast to get some thrills out of. A cayman you could do both because its comfortable, efficient, has plenty of storage room, not considered an exotic 'super car' (and the problems that come with that title), and definitely a 'sports car.'

It comes down to 'what do you want and for what purpose' really. I think the new Porsche cars are an excellent balance or sports/daily. Driving a base boxster around, I would not want anything sportier for daily use and actually maybe rather have more comfort (this is after 1 year and 25k miles). I would not buy an R8.

Good thoughts. Yes I have a 2016 CS manual with x73. Bottom line is I am looking for the car that will bring me the most driving enjoyment and grins per mile. So the next question becomes what does that for me? Well I have never enjoyed driving any car that I've owned more than my 981. Recent cars I've owned are a Z4 coupe and a 2015 C7 and I enjoy driving the 981 more than either by a significant margin. Why is that? When I think about it, it's hard to capture in words, but in nutshell the 981 just feels better, everything goes together well, it makes better sounds, I feel more connected to the driving experience and road. Will the r8 be a similar step up from the 981 such that I will look forward to the next drive more? Not sure.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The best advice would be to go test drive both cars. If you can get them for an extended period of time even better. I test drove two different R8's (both v8's one manual one r-tronic) as well as a 997 GTS and the 981. I ended up with the 981 CS mostly due to wife $ concerns...heh. In my case I want(ed) something more exotic so I am still mulling a switch to an R8 at some point or maybe an Evora 400....

Thanks for the all the thoughts. Just to offer a little reciprocal insight that might be helpful on the evora. It was a car I was considering as a move from the Z4 Coupe. I drove a base model and while I liked it, I didn't walk away strongly motivated to get the car, like I did when I first drove a 981. There is definitely something about the way Porsche does everything that the lotus lacked. But the evora definitely has more of an exotic look than a 981.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Thanks yeah I did sit in a prev gen evora for a test drive. Not refined as much for me but wow what a difference on torque feel. I am waiting to see if the new 400 is a bit more put together when it starts making the rounds here later this year....

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Thinking about the R8. I don't like the look as much as the Gallardo (or maybe even as much as my 981) and it doesn't sound as good, but it is more practical and could work as my only car (the Gallardo would require me to have 2 cars).

Anyone come from an R8 to a 981 or vice versa or have significant experience driving one?

I do intend to test drive one, but it would be helpful to hear from those who have had more experience with one than a 15 minute test drive.
A bit off topic but either an R8 or a 981 as an only car, especially in the great white north, seems hard to imagine. I assume you work at home, have a small house/apartment, and never buy more than two cases of wine at a time. Of my three cars, the only one I honestly couldn't live without is my Subaru (also the only one that gives me no pleasure to drive.)

p.s. your cs is a 2016 and you're thinking of trading it?

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I have both a Cayman and a R8 since the 1st years of each car. I love mid-engine cars. Both cars have had very significant track time and modifications. Both have a bit over 500hp. I enjoy the feel of the R8 chassis a little more at speed and also in city driving. The wider stance and a better, more roomy interior area probably made my choice to keep the R8 as my favorite all around street car. Oh, and that sound of the after market exhaust on the R8 still makes my toes curl. Its something very special. I've managed about a dozen 2-3 day trips in the R8 with luggage for two. It does work, but its tight.
I have made a most wonderful full time race car out of the Cayman. As a street car the Cayman does have much better luggage areas. I would like to put a Porsche 997 GT3 rear suspension on the Cayman. That's the weakest part of the Caymans. It's much easier to turn a Cayman into a full race car than a R8. Many more excellent and proven after-market parts. Both are indeed fantastik dream cars. ( & I have been a crazy lucky guy.) Hope this helps in some way.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A bit off topic but either an R8 or a 981 as an only car, especially in the great white north, seems hard to imagine. I assume you work at home, have a small house/apartment, and never buy more than two cases of wine at a time. Of my three cars, the only one I honestly couldn't live without is my Subaru (also the only one that gives me no pleasure to drive.)

p.s. your cs is a 2016 and you're thinking of trading it?
Yup, the 981 works decent for me as my only car. Don't commute by car to work and don't drink much. And yes it's a 2016, but I had a 2014 before so really I've had the same car for going on 3 years...which is a long time for me:crazy:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have both a Cayman and a R8 since the 1st years of each car. I love mid-engine cars. Both cars have had very significant track time and modifications. Both have a bit over 500hp. I enjoy the feel of the R8 chassis a little more at speed and also in city driving. The wider stance and a better, more roomy interior area probably made my choice to keep the R8 as my favorite all around street car. Oh, and that sound of the after market exhaust on the R8 still makes my toes curl. Its something very special. I've managed about a dozen 2-3 day trips in the R8 with luggage for two. It does work, but its tight.
I have made a most wonderful full time race car out of the Cayman. As a street car the Cayman does have much better luggage areas. I would like to put a Porsche 997 GT3 rear suspension on the Cayman. That's the weakest part of the Caymans. It's much easier to turn a Cayman into a full race car than a R8. Many more excellent and proven after-market parts. Both are indeed fantastik dream cars. ( & I have been a crazy lucky guy.) Hope this helps in some way.

Thx for the thoughts. How would you compare the sound of the 2 from INSIDE the car? The r8 can sound great from the outside with aftermarket exhaust, but I hear it may not offer as enthralling as a sound inside the car as a flat six right behind you?

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
True that. There is quite a difference in lowering a R8's side window just a few inches, as to having all windows completely up where its then possible to talk and listen to music. With a window down even just a couple of inches, it does become difficult to converse even with raised voices. The Cayman however, is a Turbo. So, tho it's loud in the driver's seat, it's still not too bad. All turbos muffle the exhaust sound quite a bit. The Cayman does have a very nice loud growl with excellent sexy sputterings and whines, especially coming off of hi revs. But it does sound like a slightly smaller species entire to the R8, even with its similar HP numbers. From inside the cars I guess I do prefer the Cayman's sound if I'm doing lots of quick shifting. That is a good point. But to be honest I really have very little experience in hearing the Cayman from outside while its moving hard. So no opinion there. Now I've become curious.

Reactions: baege
1 - 19 of 19 Posts