Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 828 Posts

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
[NOTE: The details of the group buy have now been summed up in the document attached to this message]

I posted this under Winchester's thread but thought I should make it it's own.
I spoke to the owner of RAC monolites who happens to be a friend and he mentioned if we could get a group of 15 people interested he could build the RS98s in 18"s for us. RAC is a partner of champion and champion actually builds the wheels for them. RAC mainly focuses on BMW but they have done wheels for Lotus, Mustang, etc. Here is the RS98 http://www.wheelexperts.com/images/t...9RS98Monof.jpg
The price would be under $3k and the wheels would be around 18.5#s rear and 17.5#s front. Here is a link to the ones they built for the Elise: RAC Monolites 16x7 & 17x8 for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111
If anyone is interested let me know, we can start a list.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I am interested- can we get them in black powdercoat centers with chrome rims?

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The plan is to offer 18s 8.5" fronts and 9.5" rears. There will be color choices probably silver, chrome shadow, titanium, and black. The lip can also be polished. There will probably be .5" front lip and 1-1.5 in the rear. I'm not a fan of big lips but they can actually be built lighter with more lip. They will hold an inventory of spares in case they get damaged stolen, etc. I have a preliminary deal with Ken to offer the wheels to cc members and I'll be talking to RAC this week about the particulars. Ask any questions and I'll ask them of him, also, I'm trying to get him to come on here to give us some more info.

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
Just for the record, and to make the number of affirmatives more visible (in case anyone else is thinking of jumping on the wagon), I've PM'd with a very interested.

RingSport - have you got more affirmatives than those apparent in this thread?

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far it looks like there are 3 interested parties, gtscayman, ringmeister and wpmjr. We need to have 15 to cover the design and federalization costs.

·
Registered
779 Posts
they look just like the rs110's I had. To anyone considering these... GET THEM! such a high quality wheel.. awesome build, super lightweight, etc. wish i never got rid of mine!!

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would want them in the 18" diameter with stock widths and probably all black, FYI

·
Registered
412 Posts
I wonder how this wheel would look in 18" I am sure you would have ALOT of interest for it in a 19" but that will be encroaching upon Champion's actual product.

Put me down as a tentative for this group buy. In terms of 18" widths, I will let you guys decide (we are only going to be able to have one size) I would like it to be something that is well suited for the stock tire widths.

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
I assume that offsets would be optimized for the Cayman, which, I believe, is not necessarily the case for all Champion wheels?

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Champion builds each wheel to a specific car but like all wheel manufacturers they take the middle road of compromise to appeal to the most people. These wheels will be 18s, you can already buy the 19s from Champion. The point of these wheels is to have the ultimate in performance, (track or street) at an incredible value. The stock wheel widths are already a little tight for the current 235/265 setup. Adding an inch all around will allow more variations of tire use. You will still be able to use stock tire sizes but you can also go up significantly which also broadens your tire choice. Even with the extra width these will be much lighter than the stock wheels or pretty much anything out there while offering industry leading strength because of the 8 ton cold press process that is used. Remember it's better to stretch the tire on the wheel a little than to pinch it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Is it realistic to get 15 people off this forum for this Group Buy? Wonder if you exposed this buy to some of the 911 guys it would fill up a bit more quickly.

Just anxious is all!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I did some photoshops so you guys could see how they would look compared to the Champion 19" sizing. (originals for comparison)

Still looks pretty darn good to me!

1 - 20 of 828 Posts