Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's become a busy field in the world of 981 aftermarket race headers. There are more than 1/2 dozen prominent companies producing them and I'm trying to get a little more detail on what to expect from each without getting too caught up in the marketing. Here's where I'm at with the pool:

Long-tube design, focused on low/mid range torque and hp improvement

Cargrahpic weight unknown, 2" runners
Soul Performance - weight 24 lbs, 2" runners
Dundon (limited to GT4 as far as I can tell) - no specs
FVD (with cat bypass) - weight 20 lbs, 2 1/2" runners

Short-tube design, focused on mid/upper range torque and hp improvement

Fabspeed weight 15.7 lbs, unknown runner diameter
Armytrix - unknown specs, looks like bundled with cat back
aFe - unknown weight, 1 7/8" runners
IPE - unknown specs, may only have catted option
Agency Power - unknown specs, may only have catted option

Putting all of the claimed gains aside (since we know on any given day there are too many factors to say which produces better results), would it be safe to assume that longer runners would be better for auto-x and shorter for track days? Does anyone know which of these options allows for keeping the stock sensor locations and can tune out the CELs? I have no emissions requirements, but want to keep my dash free of lights so that if something goes wrong, I don't get desensitized to it. 90% of my driving is off-road/competition use.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't have the answers but I am interested where this thread will go. From past experience though I always thought the performance benefits as you explained would be exactly the opposite. A long tube being better mid and upper rpm ranges.
But admittedly I am not an expert on the subject.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
FWIW
I have the FVD 200 Cell sport headers. I recently discovered that after about 4800 track miles, the cats were shot. Plugged, disintegrating, etc. Loss of power, misfires, etc. So my tech cut the ends off, removed the offending material, and now I have cat bypass headers (not the long tube race type that have no cat housing at all). My car now has it's power restored. The sound is only slightly louder at idle, but definitely more sound at WOT. Glorious sound actually.
I am not faulting FVD here since its well established that heavy duty tracking will destroy most cats eventually. Since I also have the FVD tune, I had no CEL issues after removing the catalytic material. My understanding is that the tune effectively eliminates the secondary sensor from reading. It will however, not pass emissions, since you can't achieve emissions readiness with this setup. But that's not a concern if you live somewhere where there is no emissions testing. I will have to deal with that issue in about 3 years when they will want to start testing my 2014 car. I can't say whether you are better off with race headers or cat bypass for the track. You should ask Rhonda at FVD about that. One thing I can say is that FVD sells high end quality stuff. Not everyone on your list may meet those high standards.

·
Registered
525 Posts
would it be safe to assume that longer runners would be better for auto-x and shorter for track days?
Supposedly yes, but I reckon the differences are going to be so small here that it doesn't matter all that much - certainly in terms of butt dyno.

Does anyone know which of these options allows for keeping the stock sensor locations and can tune out the CELs?
All of them I imagine, tuning out the CEL is a matter of...tuning.

I'm using Fabspeed race headers simply because I got them off here, used, at half price from new. Very happy with them. Even though they are short tube headers the thing that strikes you most coming from stock headers is the mid range gain even on the stock mapping. Adding a protune and DREAM2 tips to the PSE made it feel perfect to me.

915 Posts
I'm using Fabspeed race headers simply because I got them off here, used, at half price from new. Very happy with them. Even though they are short tube headers the thing that strikes you most coming from stock headers is the mid range gain even on the stock mapping. Adding a protune and DREAM2 tips to the PSE made it feel perfect to me.
Thanks for chiming in JC! Awesome to see you enjoying the tangible benefits of our Headers. Race Headers and Protune make a world of difference on the 981 platform compared to the factory setup. And PSE sounds like the icing on the cake for you!

Just to provide a little more info for you ThrottleSteer--our headers use 1 7/8" runners, and the weight you listed is correct. Here's a great diagram for your reference:
Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust manifold Automotive super charger part Muffler

JC mentioned the mid-range gains that are very present, and smooth out the power curve in a satisfying way. Here's a dyno chart showing exactly what he's talking about!
Text Line Pattern Slope Design

And a glamour shot of a set of our headers installed just for your reference:
Auto part Automotive exhaust Engine Exhaust system Exhaust manifold

If you have any other questions about our Race Headers, feel free to reach out directly! My info is in the signature, and my cell is 610-804-7318. We recently extended our ECLIPSE sale through the end of the week, I'll shoot over a PM with pricing for you! :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.