Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up the new GTS on the weekend and have put on over 200 miles already. Photos (initial quick snaps), specs, impressions and conspiracies below

(dealer pick - up)
(dealer pick - up)
(natural light)

Specifications: Racing Yellow (RY) Cayman GTS with PTV, PDK, PASM, 20 inch Carrera S wheels in matte black finish, Porsche coloured centre caps, RY instrument cluster, RY sports chrono chronometer, GTS alcantara with roofliner in alcantara, electric folding mirrors, PCM and Bose surround sound with DAB.

First impressions.

Exterior:
We went to the dealers on Saturday morning to pick the car up - it was covered with a black silk sheet. With one deft movement our SA removed the sheet - awesome.

The car just glows in Racing Yellow, the matte black Carrera S wheels fill out the wheel arches and look stunning against the vibrant deep yellow paintwork. The whole picture is further enhanced by the bright red brake calipers. Truly art and engineering meeting as one. Colour, form and function fused as one. Beautiful.

Interior:
I would describe it as plush, the alcantara gives the car a classy feel, the roof liner and A pillars really stand out. The grip provided by the alcantara found in the sports plus seats is excellent.

The soft tone greys to blacks in leather and alcantara are juxtaposed against the vivid RY instruments and sports chrono dial. A flourish that in my view was well worth the small additional cost (at least to me). Moreover the fit and finish is exemplary.

The Bose sound package works well with the PCM system and bluetooth music streaming is a breeze.

The drive:
Simply fantastic, possibly best described as quick, sharp and accurate - a genuine scalpel. You can actually feel the car pivot about its axis.

The PSE sound is absolutely fantastic. In sport mode the noise and feedback is genuinely something to behold - there is no doubt the 3.4 hits an aural symphony even when driven without runs to the redline (I feel very sorry for 718 buyers, genuinely I do). Hit the brakes hard, and with the PDK in full auto the sound is even more astonishing as the car rapidly drops down gears.

Much has been written about the PDK, it is a real masterwerk and I won't add more - suffice to say it is fantastic, extraordinarily flexible and very very quick.

Now to conspiracy theories (see below) :naughty:

I will be doing what I always do - break in over ~1000km, long variable drives, generally keeping below 4000 rpm, no lugging, pushing harder only once the oil has come to operating T (90 to 100 degrees C) and an oil and oil filter change at 1000km

The rear sway bar.......

Note the car has PDK, PASM and PTV - the sway bar is 22.5mm thick.

I will write a more detailed review when I have put in more seat time :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Wow.... Sorta of like a mirror image. My steering is on the left!

You need not be shy with RY. Esp in a GTS (or ?). Be prepared for all sorts of double takes on the road and thumb's up at stop lights. In short, you will love that car! Enjoy. D

·
Registered
474 Posts
Congrats! Enjoy it - looks hot

·
Registered
648 Posts
Congrats and enjoy!! :)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Awesome looking beast!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Perfect color for a perfect car. Congrats and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Congrats! :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Beautiful car! Congratulations! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Congratulations! RY--even on the gauges, so you're probably a young guy (as this is most often, though not always, a "young guy" color. I remember when I was that young . . .). Enjoy--you'll love it!

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Congrats and enjoy!

What is WA? I thought Washington state, but I don't remember them switching to right hand drive :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WA is western Australia, causes all sorts of confusion!

Added another 200 miles or so - having a blast. The only negative, and it is a very minor one at that, is the stop start and coast function - it takes awhile to get used to and the surprise when the engine appears to cut out! This is easily resolved, as its more fun if the sport button is punched. I have tried the sport plus button, however it tends to hold the gears to the redline - something I'm avoiding during the break in phase.

Had lots of positive feed back, lots of thumbs up, kids waving etc.

My wife has booked in for two HPDE days - I suspect she'll give the instructors a bit of a surprise!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Wa = jafa.

·
Registered
249 Posts
WA is western Australia, causes all sorts of confusion!

Added another 200 miles or so - having a blast. The only negative, and it is a very minor one at that, is the stop start and coast function - it takes awhile to get used to and the surprise when the engine appears to cut out! This is easily resolved, as its more fun if the sport button is punched. I have tried the sport plus button, however it tends to hold the gears to the redline - something I'm avoiding during the break in phase.

Had lots of positive feed back, lots of thumbs up, kids waving etc.

My wife has booked in for two HPDE days - I suspect she'll give the instructors a bit of a surprise!
Push the button right below the PSE button that has the "A" on it. Problem solved and you only have to do it once.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Three things I like about my GTS:

(1) DAB radio + PCM + BOSE with surround sound + classic rock = great sound, no fiddle factor + great music (nice and loud e.g. Black Dog Led Zep) :beer:

(2) driving position specifically the steering wheel relative to chest - flat and centered on the chest great for push-pull steering

(3) sports chrono + PDK + sport plus + airstrip + PSE = 0-60 mph in 4.2s, 1/4 12.67s @ 114mph (VBOX) epic fun :hilarious: (driven 1200kms in one week for break in)

add (1) + (2) + (3) = most fun you can have with your clothes on!

·
Registered
866 Posts
The yellow and black look awesome as do the yellow gauges!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts