Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have very poor FM reception, but good Sirius with occasional drop out in the same road area.
Is it an FM antenna problem?
Why does Sirius drop out?

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
With little information the only answer is generalities. Both Sirius and FM are pretty much line of sight.

Typical cause of satellite signal drop out is something blocking it. A building, mountain, tunnel, sun behind the satellite etc.

FM could be the antenna, something blocking the signal, mountains etc, or something called multipath interference. The signal gets reflected off buildings, hills etc with the reflections all getting to your antenna at slightly different times. Creates a real mash up of the signal when the reflections are strong. Distance from the antenna can also be an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With little information the only answer is generalities. Both Sirius and FM are pretty much line of sight.

Typical cause of satellite signal drop out is something blocking it. A building, mountain, tunnel, sun behind the satellite etc.

FM could be the antenna, something blocking the signal, mountains etc, or something called multipath interference. The signal gets reflected off buildings, hills etc with the reflections all getting to your antenna at slightly different times. Creates a real mash up of the signal when the reflections are strong. Distance from the antenna can also be an issue.
Thank you.
The FM has a range of only 20 miles from the broadcast. I think the antenna is defective.
The Sirius stops for 1-2 miles when I am 10 miles from a Navy base. I have it because of poor FM

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
If your in hill country 20 miles may be pretty good. Been a while but from what I remember San Diego was horrible for FM. Even the local stations. I'd expect other locales with similar topography to be just as bad. Couldn't hurt to check the antenna connections. Something a little loose or corroded could do it.

No way to know but the Navy base may have a strong transmitter on a similar frequency to Sirius. Just saturates your receiver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your in hill country 20 miles may be pretty good. Been a while but from what I remember San Diego was horrible for FM. Even the local stations. I'd expect other locales with similar topography to be just as bad. Couldn't hurt to check the antenna connections. Something a little loose or corroded could do it.

No way to know but the Navy base may have a strong transmitter on a similar frequency to Sirius. Just saturates your receiver.
The Navy Air base has a top secret intelligence base with a large radio tower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts