Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, “suddenly” my radio started turning off, then on for about 6 minutes, then goes off, then on.. Nav system not working — says loading map (and it never does)(. I took it to a dealer who scanned it, re-installed program, did not fix problem.
Now they say I have to buy a WHOLE NEW UNIT for about 4K! It’s the Bose upgrade..

First question... anyone else have this problem ??

THEN, they tell me that Porsche is a backordered on replacements — with no schedule of when (Panasonic) will make new ones?? WTH.
Only good news is that maybe they are fixing the design/build problems...

Help !!
Don

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Seems like others have reported similar behavior going back a few years now. My 2014 Bose unit failed within a few months when the car was purchased new and was replaced under warranty. No way I would pay 4K for a device that was already out of date and inferior function and usability wise, even back when new. Hope yours turns out to be something simple that can be resolved

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.. its looking like this radio defect is a unknown-known! At least to Porsche. I’m definitely going to push for some sort of pricing adjustment based on this sort of thing.. I mean I’ve owned, what, 6 or so Acura’s and not one radio failed!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Yes, I agree. Porsche is a great car from a mechanical standpoint, but they are also known to have several expensive failures of items that even the cheapest econobox wont have after many years of use, much less after very few miles driven as many of these cars are. Headlight delamination, door panel warping, headliner failing, premature coil pack failure, cylinder bore scoring, just to name a few.

These are basic things that I have never ever considered or had fail on any car I have ever owned even after many miles and years, but is inexcusable IMO on a low mileage, premium brand car that can cost six figures. I've been driving them for the last 15+ years but doubt I will ever buy another new one at this point.

All brands have their issues, but stupid things like this that no one else deals with go on unresolved for several years sometimes over multiple models, and that is unacceptable at this price point. Especially for what they want to charge for out of warranty replacements of these items that should have never failed so soon in the first place. My 2015 Chevy Sonic daily driver with 30K miles on the odo that has never had a single issue can be purchased outright today for what Porsche will charge to replace two warped door panels that failed for no reason at all other than an obvious design flaw on a car with half the mileage within the same 5 years.

I have the Sport Chrono option on my car and one of the dynamic transmission mounts spontaneously failed for no reason at all at 19K. Its a $1,500 part plus labor to fix for a single mount. A little investigation determined that these things have been shorting out and failing for no reason at all in some cases since they were released on the 911 motor several years ago. Some failing within days or purchase of a new car. That's fine in that case under warranty, but a complete waste of money and kick in gut for those who are out of warranty expected to pay for nonsense such as this still happening years later. I'm thinking of having them removed and replaced with standard mounts rather than risking throwing good money after bad only to have it happen again later

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talked to another dealer's service manager (whom I've known for >10 years).. I simply mentioned that I'm having problems with my radio and he immediately went down the symptoms,.. off and on, nav stuck on "loading".., etc. Then he said, " ... you need a new head unit. And there are none in the world available" (in the World !!). Then he said that replacements have no schedule -- that's a bit stronger than "... they are on back-order".

So, with suggestion, I'm going all in on a Kenwood DNW996ZR replacement... throwing in a back up camera to boot.
I'm about at the same "outlay" as a OEM with any possible (or is that impossible) deductions...

The positive, is, Apple Play (all the rage now it seems!) backup camera, better screen resolution,..etc. Downside, I loose all the "information" links like MPG, miles per day, etc.

Guess I can't enter the car into "Concours" anymore ---wait, I don't do concours. 😉
stay tuned for installation progress, photos, and reviews.
D

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Yeah, if you have to spend that sort of money, then at least get a better product for the trouble and cost. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, “suddenly” my radio started turning off, then on for about 6 minutes, then goes off, then on.. Nav system not working — says loading map (and it never does)(. I took it to a dealer who scanned it, re-installed program, did not fix problem.
Now they say I have to buy a WHOLE NEW UNIT for about 4K! It’s the Bose upgrade..

First question... anyone else have this problem ??

THEN, they tell me that Porsche is a backordered on replacements — with no schedule of when (Panasonic) will make new ones?? WTH.
Only good news is that maybe they are fixing the design/build problems...

Help !!
Don
Don, what year is your car? What version of PCM do you have? 3.1? What software version do you have? I had an intermittent problem similar to this. Then it went away. I'm wondering if it may be related to a battery issue. How old is your battery?
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Sport Chrono option on my car and one of the dynamic transmission mounts spontaneously failed for no reason at all at 19K.
My first Porsche and I have the SC option and I'm wondering what the symptoms are for a failed dynamic transmission mount. How did you know? What are the signs?

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don, what year is your car? What version of PCM do you have? 3.1? What software version do you have? I had an intermittent problem similar to this. Then it went away. I'm wondering if it may be related to a battery issue. How old is your battery?
Dave
It’s a2015. Battery always on a tender. Had it checked and dealer said it, literally, was as good as new. PCM version is 3.1... not sure of the software..

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, if you have to spend that sort of money, then at least get a better product for the trouble and cost. Good luck!
Thanks... It may be a “better” unit, but I’m still bummed..

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
I'm going all in on a Kenwood DNW996ZR replacement... throwing in a back up camera to boot.
I'm about at the same "outlay" as a OEM with any possible (or is that impossible) deductions...

The positive, is, Apple Play (all the rage now it seems!) backup camera, better screen resolution,..etc. Downside, I loose all the "information" links like MPG, miles per day, etc.
I guess you're already gone ahead with this. How much is the Kenwood costing ? and who's doing the install ?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My first Porsche and I have the SC option and I'm wondering what the symptoms are for a failed dynamic transmission mount. How did you know? What are the signs?
You will get a PADM ( Porsche Adaptive Dynamic Mount) failure warning on the console at every start.. The car is still drivable, and I cant really tell any difference. My assumption is that it fails to the "soft" or off mode as if not using Sport + since these these work by energizing a magnetic coil within a metallic sludge, and this is what causes the mount to stiffen up. I'm not sure if it disables the other side as well if an issue is detected or if it allows it to operate normally on its own?

·
Registered
475 Posts
One potential cause/solution:

We didn’t have this problem with our PCM but other intermittent/flaky behavior and ended up replacing it with a Kenwood unit with wireless CarPlay and we are much happier with it. Given our experience with the MOST-HUR 31 I’d advise replacing the factory amp versus the interface.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess you're already gone ahead with this. How much is the Kenwood costing ? and who's doing the install ?
the Kenwood, plus back up camera/install, Porsche dash kit (still will use my Bose amp) came in at $3.2K. (the OEM PCM 3.1 was north of $4K.
I'm in the SF bay area and using Sound Innovations... a shop recommended by the Service Manger at Fremont Porsche.. (I've known him for about 15 years.)

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

We didn’t have this problem with our PCM but other intermittent/flaky behavior and ended up replacing it with a Kenwood unit with wireless CarPlay and we are much happier with it. Given our experience with the MOST-HUR 31 I’d advise replacing the factory amp versus the interface.
WOW... this surely beats $3K... though I have to say, I'm probably not up to the expertise to pull off the repair you did.
On the good side, I'm getting a back up camera (something I really wish I had from day 1 with the car) and Apple Play.. which seems to be all the rage these days..

I'll be able to keep the PCM "core"... maybe I can play with the repair as a learning experience.. and maybe, if repaired, try to sell on eBay ?? OK, a long shot!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll be able to keep the PCM "core"... maybe I can play with the repair as a learning experience.. and maybe, if rep

Had this problem with my 2015 Boxster S in April 2018 after taking it out of storage with 7,059 miles. Thankfully, car was still under CPO warranty. Dealer did a bunch of diagnostics and attempted to upgrade PCM software before replacing the PCM Control Unit with Part # 991-642-963-RX-DML. Has functioned fine since replacement.

You are definitely owed some pricing relief, particularly if they can't fix the problem due to lack of replacement parts. I guess the question is whether the dealer will install an aftermarket solution, but if there's no OEM alternative, they need to offer you an option other than no radio.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dealer isn’t doing the install.. but a specialty shop that was recommended by a dealer’s service manager (whom I have known for a long time and respect!). I got an email survey about the “service”.. I didn’t lean too heavily on the dealer that looked at the radio and concluded that I needed a new PCM, but did I give it to Porsche!! Hey, I am still and will be a Porsche fan.. but I am pretty pissed.. I went through all my previous cars I‘ve owned in my life, including a POS Pontiac and noted that even the Pontiac‘s radio worked. I’ve been watching my email for a response —- crickets..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think you may be able to reach out to an ombudsman at Porsche NA in Atlanta, or perhaps someone at PCA in Vienna, VA (if you're a member of the Club). Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep.. I’m a member of PCA.. in fact I curate our region’s website —- yos.pca.org..
but we are a very small region (<150 members)

·
Registered
12 Posts
What did you use for amp(s) for this. I am considering replacing my CDR31 with Bose, with aftermarket amps and head unit.
I'm looking at the Kenwood DNX696s, but not sure how to go about amps since it has 7 speakers and sub.

Thanks,
Steve

1 - 20 of 27 Posts