Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how hard it is to remove the radio sub-dash assembly from a 2007 Cayman?

Background: I recently pulled the factory Sound Package Plus CDR-24 radio from my car and installed a Pioneer, double DIN, AVH-4100NEX HU using the Metra 99-9606 kit (very reasonably priced). I spent quit a bit of time ensuring that all the wiring was done correctly, USB1 cable installed, HDMI cable installed, illumination wire, etc. I even 'tested' the functionality of the unit before slipping it into place. I was pretty proud of myself for a job well done and proceeded to 'click' the assembly in place per the Metra instructions. About 30 seconds later, I suddenly realized that I had forgotten to plug in the microphone wire! :eek: I then realized that the Metra kit does NOT allow for a very easy radio removal (which makes for a great theft deterrent). I tried releasing the locking tabs by putting a screw driver / butter knife in between the kit and the frame with no luck. There is not enough room for me to plug the microphone into place from behind with the radio installed. The Metra instructions say, "Note: Once the radio is snapped in it will not release unless the entire radio sub-dash assembly is removed." (I guess they are not kidding) I called their Tech Support to ask advice and they are clueless on any suggestions. I can't believe they would make a kit that is sooo difficult to remove.

Does anyone know, a) How to release the locking tabs on the metra kit, or 2) What the procedure is for removing the radio sub-dash assembly?

Lesson Learned: Double check that ALL connections are made before locking in the radio using this kit. Heaven help you if you ever have to remove it to have it repaired/replaced.

Jerry

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have the American International brand POR911 kit and though it looks to be a pain in the @ss to remove is removable. I'm glad I wasn't sent your kit. Good luck my friend.

Sent from my StarTrek communicator using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
You posted this so long ago but I hope you found a solution. I am attempting to remove mine and am ready to live without my microphone. I did the same damn thing. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Are you trying to remove the entire metal structure the radio sits in (called the "Tunnel Support")? If so, I think you are stuck....one of the first steps is "remove the radio". Assuming that is only there to protect the radio, other steps are: Remove the triggering unit for the airbags, remove the glove compartment, remove the air conditioning system regulator, remove switch console....Net: not an easy/quick job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Zuch. I am simply trying to take out the double din radio I installed about 2 years ago. I had used the POR911S mounting kit from American International. It says to remove by pressing the tabs. The tabs have been pressed but it won't budge. I removed the surround and all the trim on the dash trying everything I could think of to no avail.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, I was kind of responding JATAYLOR's post/idea for getting out of your situation. Sorry, I can't help with the POR911S mount kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone find a way to get the Metra kit out? Need to get behind mine as well.

Yeah, I was kind of responding JATAYLOR's post/idea for getting out of your situation. Sorry, I can't help with the POR911S mount kit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did anyone find a way to get the Metra kit out? Need to get behind mine as well.
Sadly nothing has come through on my separate post either. I may tackle cutting the clips this week. Someone suggested it a few months ago

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sadly nothing has come through on my separate post either. I may tackle cutting the clips this week. Someone suggested it a few months ago
Do you have a link to the kit you installed? If it was American International POR911 Dash Kit (Painted Black) Fits select 2005-12 Porsche vehicles — single- or double-DIN radios at Crutchfield - I had to use a hacksaw blade to cut the locking tabs off where they were locked into the steel radio frame built into the car. There was just enough room between the plastic sidepieces of the kit and the steel cage on the car. The radio is no longer locked into the dash, but it fits snuggly enough that it doesn't move or come loose.

I think that you might be able to depress those catches using credit cards (old ones obviously) pushed in from the front. Maybe. I didn't try that, but it's worth a shot. It also helps if you pull the side panels on the console and then push the radio from the back using some sort of blunt tool.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
On the off-chance that your mountings was of the same (or similar) design - take a look at this: After market HU removal
Examine the photo. The clips you want are shown as #2 (not #3- a common error). The trick is to open all 4 at the same time using toothpicks or q-tips

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think that worked..
1600211532224.png

1 - 11 of 11 Posts