Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The radio in my 981 would turn itself off after about ten minutes (to avoid the battery running down) if I was listening to something in the car with the key off.
Is the new system in the 718 the same way?

This was a problem when I took my car to the drive-in movie theater and the sound is broadcast over FM. I ended up bringing a little portable radio and headphones with me, but it didn't sound as good as the the car.
I tried turning it back on every time, but that got old.
I couldn't leave the key turned on because that would cause the DRL to come on as well.

For text searches
PCM, voltage, auto shut off, timer, battery save

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Wow, you still have drive-in movie theaters where you are? Blast from the past.

The 718 audio works like the 981 and 987. Auto shutoff after 10 minutes.

It sounds strange to me that the theater would require you to supply your own radio in order to hear the sound from a 2+ hour length movie. Or is that a supplement to the wired speaker boxes? Does that theater have a higher than normal incidence of dead car batteries?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds strange to me that the theater would require you to supply your own radio in order to hear the sound from a 2+ hour length movie. Or is that a supplement to the wired speaker boxes? Does that theater have a higher than normal incidence of dead car batteries?
Sometimes it's a triple feature! With a special feature following that.
Mahoning Drive-In Theater

You can sort of hear it from speakers outside the concession stand, but really need your own or sit near other people.
A boombox (if you can find one) and some camp chairs works pretty well.

I have jump started someone; it's not uncommon for people to get dead batteries there.
I thought it was worth a photo to see a Boxster jump starting another vehicle but didn't get one.

I guess I do prefer the car shutting off the radio over a dead battery, but wish there was a way to override it since ten minutes seems overly cautious.

Thanks for letting me know about the 718.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd guess the caution comes from the fact that the radio isn't just a radio (or the stereo isn't just a stereo).:)
Since the whole infotainment system is on, including a video screen, the power drain must be high--so no more separate "accessories" key position.
My dash cam comes with an auto cut-off while in parking mode to avoid killing the battery.

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.