Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Easy question for you. I have been really wondering how in the world the rain sensor works? Any clues? :crazy:

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
930 Posts
My guess - and I stress this is a guess - is the sensor measures the amount of light (assuming a reduction in the amount of light due to the accumulation of water) and activates the wiper when the amount of light reaching the sensor is reduced to a given level.

Am I close?

·
On Probation
582 Posts
i,ll guess the water completes the circuit

·
Registered
115 Posts
I believe Porsche uses the same unit as Mercedes, and it is an infrared sensor. When the light is scattered by a droplet, it energizes the wiper motor.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
If the units were light dependent, wouldn't that mean they'd always be on at night? or do the rain sensing wipers not work at night?

Ah just read that link, the unit PROJECTS the infrared light and then reads what returns, yep that would work, the light isn't from an external source...

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
930 Posts
So I was mostly correct.

Story of my life - I survive on partial credit! :)

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
And, they work great. They not only judge the amount of water hitting the windshield, but they also are hooked into the speed of the car - as the car picks up speed, the wipers get faster... when you're sitting at a stoplight, they slow down to become intermittent. I like mine a lot, I rarely have to adjust them, they're just on auto all the time, and if it begins to rain, all I have to do is move the lever to activate them once, and then they're on their own.

brad

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
+1 on that Brad. With intermittent it always seemed the speeds available were too fast or too slow requiring constant adjustment.

I believe it's the same unit as BMW also. Works much the same which is quite well.

·
Registered
433 Posts
+2 love the rain sensors.. Now if auto climate control were standard...First car in 20+ years without and it is driving me crazy...

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Auto-Climate, dimming mirrors & rain sensing wipers should all be standard. Probably amounts to a couple ounces of weight and $100 of material.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also love the rain sensors but I found the one in my audi to be more accurate and needing less adjustment. Of course I didn't by a porsche for the rain sensing wipers so I don't care.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Auto-Climate, dimming mirrors & rain sensing wipers should all be standard. Probably amounts to a couple ounces of weight and $100 of material.
That's not Porsche's philosophy of allowing the customer to custom tailor the car as desired. E.g., search and you'll find many here who don't want ACC (I ordered it), don't want auto dimming mirrors (I dislike them), or don't want rain sensing wipers (I chose not to order that feature).

I'm happy I was given those choices, unlike with some other car makers who cram unwanted "extras" down your throat. But, we digress ...

·
Registered
806 Posts
That's not Porsche's philosophy of allowing the customer to custom tailor the car as desired. E.g., search and you'll find many here who don't want ACC (I ordered it), don't want auto dimming mirrors (I dislike them), or don't want rain sensing wipers (I chose not to order that feature).

I'm happy I was given those choices, unlike with some other car makers who cram unwanted "extras" down your throat. But, we digress ...
+1

I don't like auto climate control. I have two other cars with it, and it never does what I want it to. It's always blasting the fan on high to reduce the temp as fast as possible or turning on recirculate mode or directing the air to the dash or foot well vents or something strange. I always have to override it, so I just use manual mode.

I'm glad my Cayman does not have it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My Cayman doesn't have rain sensor, the Cayenne does. I don't like it. At night it sometimes doesn't turn the wipers on until my vision is extremely poor and i have to hit the control to manually engage the wipers.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I could certainly live without full climate control but do like having the temperature automatically controlled on a car with electric fans. My old 944 was like this. Everything was manual, fans, air vents etc except the temperature. My experience where the heater valve was controlled manually on cars like this is one constantly had to fuss with it due to the temp swings from highway cruising with fans off to stopped with the fans on. Temp ran the gamut from comfortable to melting your socks without constant tweaking.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have auto climate control in the Cayman and love it. If I'm just slightly warm I'll just tap the temp lever down 1 degree and the fan picks up slightly to do it. Generally I never have to touch it...best I've ever seen. My Cayenne has the manual AC...always adjusting the fan up or down or playing with the temp. Really miss the auto control there.

Rain sensing wipers work really well for me too...of course they have only had 3 or 4 chances to work in the last 3 years:)

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Auto-Climate, dimming mirrors & rain sensing wipers should all be standard.
... search and you'll find many here who don't want ACC..., don't want auto dimming mirrors..., or don't want rain sensing wipers... .
Based on the preceding posts, I rest my case ... but this was a thread about how rain sensors work. Sorry for the hijack. ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts