Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving yesterday, let's call it "spiritedly", I had a hard 4th gear pull and during decel(letting the engine slow me down from about 6500 RPM) my CEL light flashes on for a split second then instantly goes away. No engine noise, nothing weird. Just my stomach churning and heart aching. Any possible clue as to what it could have been? Mods are OFT and Borla Mufflers.

·
Revhead
366 Posts
Any CEL, however brief, should have caused a code to be logged. Get thee to a dealership, or to someone with a Durametric, and have them pull the history.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
First, a flashing CEL may indicate a transient misfire.

I agree, check for codes but ...

Codes are not always saved, not quite. The instrument cluster will throw a persistent cel if it stops communicating with certain subsystems; iirc, steering column control stalks and I forget what else.

I had a phone conversation with Scott Slaussen who was very kind to take me thru some of the failure modes which could throw throw a CEL but leave me no code. I regret not taking notes.

In my case, I trigger this kind of failure when (mis)-adjusting my steering column travel and height. I adjusted the column one last time and the problem never returned, after being really persistent. I'm not touching the steering column unlock lever unless I'm prepared to pull covers and dive in to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The DME can log a permanent error code which is not usually read by OBD2 code readers. This permanent code can only be cleared by the DME after so many engine warm up cycles during which the triggering error does not reappear.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Be aware with some exhaust/flash mods this can be harder on the plugs than the stock engine. Also, these mods can result in the engine making more demands on the coils. Without knowing the service history of the car it is possible the plugs and coils could be due to be replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts