Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my CS parked outside in heavy rain last night. Shortly after starting the car this morning, the hazard blinkers started to come on randomly. It can be 1, 2 or more flashes, and the time between them seems random. Tried turning the car on/off, played around with headlight switch, turn signals and hazard light switch. Everything else seems to be working fine. I can have the left/right turn signals flashing, but the random blinking hazard lights still happens. Pressing the hazard lights button would do random things like flash as it was supposed to for a couple seconds and stop, or simply do nothing at all. Holding down the button is the only to stop the random blinking. While holding down the button, the left and right turn signals work fine. This leads me to suspect the hazard switch. But it just seems too much of a coincidence that this happened after leaving the car out in heavy rain for the night. Has anyone else experienced something like this or other light issues after getting a lot of rain?

I'm gonna try to reset the battery and remove the hazard switch later to see if that fixes it. If not, I'll see if it fixes itself after the car dries in the garage.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Is there moisture below the driver's seat? If rain got in and collected there, your ECU might be wet. They're know to throw all kinds of whacky issues when they're wet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
g sensor linked to heavy braking in emergency?
On UK cars after an emergency stop hazard lights turn on. Just a thought but could be well wide of the mark!!...........

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the hazard light switch and the problem went away. That was a PITA. I tried following online instructions to get to it through the middle vents. It was easier to pull the PCM unit out and remove the switch from the bottom. Then I went on to test both the switch harness wiring and switch itself, and everything seemed fine. Plugged the switch back in, and everything's working again. Since when the issue was there, holding the switch down stops the flashing, I narrowed it down to the one wire going from the hazard switch to the front end control unit. So either something electrical in the front trunk got wet and dried up by that time I plugged the switch back in, or my testing somehow corrected the problem. Either way, I ordered a new switch. Hopefully, I'll never have the problem again. But if it comes up again, I'll have to try all your suggestions. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts