Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this issue since I bought the car over 2 yrs ago. I've since put on about 12k miles. The sound happens after cold start or warm driving. Taking off normally from a stop I get a metallic rattle from starting at around 2k rpm. The rattle goes away after 2500-3k rpm. Sound is only present in 1st and second gear (as far as I can tell). My car has factory PSE (performance sport exhaust) and the sound is similar to the opening/closing of exhaust valves...but I know it's not that as I've disconnected the flaps (keeping exhaust fully open) and the sound persists.

I've done a search and came up with loose heat shield, loose O2 sensor, and oil pressure valve.

Just had annual service done at Porsche dealer yesterday and of course all is "ok"...so no help there.

Anyone have this issue or know what it could be?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had this same rattle on my 972.1 Boxster S. My local repair guy took care of it. I think it was a loose heat shield somewhere (on the exhause manifold maybe?)

I have a custom exhaust tied into the stock exhaust manifold and cats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.