Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a series of undue sounds in the cabin which really ruins the luxurious feeling. And the dealer failed 5/5 when I had them try and fix it. So now I'm writing up an essay on the problem, to make sure they understand it.

In this document: passenger side rattle under dash, creaking behind instrument cluster (brake cylinder?), rattle around rear window, squeaking from seat levers, and squeaking from shift lever.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ilfEqM1qwfnRKLlG5acLjMs7maiD4Ya4YmXeptyNDSo/pub

If you guys have ideas for root causes or workaround, I'm all ears:) My confidence in dealer fixing this is pretty low at this point.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just buy a rubber weatherstrip tape and glue it to suspicious panels.
Buy different tapes with different density, width and height.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Are you still under factory warranty? I would get out that book in the back of your owners guide the one that says LEMON. Now call PCNA and let them know about your problem and see what the can do for you. 5/5 on the dealer not getting to the root of the problem?? WOW. If you and the dealers tech ride in the car and both hear the nosie than they would have to fix it !! If not time to be not so nice and demand a buy back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you still under factory warranty? I would get out that book in the back of your owners guide the one that says LEMON. Now call PCNA and let them know about your problem and see what the can do for you. 5/5 on the dealer not getting to the root of the problem?? WOW. If you and the dealers tech ride in the car and both hear the nosie than they would have to fix it !! If not time to be not so nice and demand a buy back.
dude, its rattles, not a fault with the car. rattles happen, sometimes more in cold weather as the panels will expand/contract more given the heat in the car and the cold outside of it. they are highly annoying, especially in a car of this quality, but that being said...

No one will ever get a lemon law applied to a rattle, unless the rattle is like, the steering wheel fell off or something.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Most Lemon Laws specify 3 failed attempts to fix a warranty item, plus 30 cumulative work days out of service. Three tries to fix rattles probably won't get the OP very far in a Lemon Law case unless the car's been out of service for more than the 30 business days.

I think contacting Porsche's customer service is the best way to start getting something done. They'll contact the dealer and may actually send out a technician to try to get the issues resolved. If they can't get the rattles fixed, the next step might be asking for some sort of compensation, including either an extended warranty or trade assistance to get into a new car.

·
Registered
538 Posts
dude, its rattles, not a fault with the car. rattles happen, sometimes more in cold weather as the panels will expand/contract more given the heat in the car and the cold outside of it. they are highly annoying, especially in a car of this quality, but that being said...

No one will ever get a lemon law applied to a rattle, unless the rattle is like, the steering wheel fell off or something.

Plenty of Infinity G37 convetibles from CA have been Lemon / buy backs due to the tops squeaking and the dealers not being able to fix them. My brother in law works at a used car dealer that deals in a large volume of buy backs and share stories about what cars have what issues. I think PCNA will help resolve this issuse but to think a car can not be a Lemon due to a rattle or squeak ( this car has alot )
is naive.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Rattles ara a pita, no doubt. I sourced and fixed a few of my Cayman's rattles (most from the rear, however). Unfortunately, a rattle that sounds like it's coming from the front of the cabin may actually be coming from the rear, or vice versa. I had a few of them.

What I thought was a faint chirp/squeak coming from the front (or center) was actually the rear, passenger side shock making noise. The sound was entering the cabin through the gaps in the surrounding trim pieces. I sealed them up and that blocked the noise. Another squeak was coming from the passenger side window frame. It also initially sounded further rearward. Some lubricant took care of that. Another was coming from the driver's side seat-back lever (the silver mechanical lever). Again, a little lube solved it. As suggested above, weather stripping tape or similar can also be helpful in certain circumstances. Ultimately, good old fashioned trial and error is the most common approach.

On a different car I had, a rattle that I thought for sure was coming from the dash was actually coming from the plastic trim piece at the base of the windshield. A little fiddling took care of that one. IIRC, it wasn't seated properly.

A passenger can also be helpful when locating the source of a rattle. They can scan the cockpit in a way that the driver can't while driving.

Lastly, you can just try another dealer. Their mechanic may be more familiar with the 981's rattle points, or possibly just plain better or more determined. Good luck.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Behind the cluster rattle is most probably gas tank related. There is a long thread here somewhere about it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Behind the cluster rattle is most probably gas tank related. There is a long thread here somewhere about it.
I would love to find that, I'm pretty sure mine came with that as standard equipment if it's from behind/left of the steering column.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just buy a rubber weatherstrip tape and glue it to suspicious panels.
Buy different tapes with different density, width and height.

Funny you should suggest that, I ordered that exact strip last night. I'm going to attack some stuff with it tomorrow.

Yes factory warranty (it's a 2015). Different dealer is a good idea.

I did realize that I really have to do my homework and reproduce the rattle well. General tip: slowly Rev the engine in neutral and listen for rattles. Two of mine come out at a specific rpm. Then just fix the gas pedal and look for the rattle source with your index finger as the probe.

I'll try and find the gas tank thread. But really it does sound like it's coming from the brake booster .

Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

They are definitely faults.. Rattle means two surfaces are banging on each other when they should be snug. I'd be okay with creaking under chassi flex, wind noise, tire noise, engine noise. But a standing rattle from something not tightened properly is not ok for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rattles ara a pita, no doubt. I sourced and fixed a few of my Cayman's rattles (most from the rear, however). Unfortunately, a rattle that sounds like it's coming from the front of the cabin may actually be coming from the rear, or vice versa. I had a few of them.

What I thought was a faint chirp/squeak coming from the front (or center) was actually the rear, passenger side shock making noise. The sound was entering the cabin through the gaps in the surrounding trim pieces. I sealed them up and that blocked the noise. Another squeak was coming from the passenger side window frame. It also initially sounded further rearward. Some lubricant took care of that. Another was coming from the driver's side seat-back lever (the silver mechanical lever). Again, a little lube solved it. As suggested above, weather stripping tape or similar can also be helpful in certain circumstances. Ultimately, good old fashioned trial and error is the most common approach.

On a different car I had, a rattle that I thought for sure was coming from the dash was actually coming from the plastic trim piece at the base of the windshield. A little fiddling took care of that one. IIRC, it wasn't seated properly.

A passenger can also be helpful when locating the source of a rattle. They can scan the cockpit in a way that the driver can't while driving.

Lastly, you can just try another dealer. Their mechanic may be more familiar with the 981's rattle points, or possibly just plain better or more determined. Good luck.
Thanks! You mentioned lubing the seat lever. How specifically did you do that? It sound like the squeak is internal, so I'd have to get the seat cover off...

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Finding the source of the rattle is half the battle. If the dealer isn't using a stethoscope to track down the noise, he's just taking shots in the dark. In my experience, dealers don't care nearly as much about rattles as owners. If you aren't getting satisfaction, pick up a stethoscope yourself to find the source of the noise, then either attempt to fix it yourself or point the dealer at the location.

Amazon.com: Stethescope Electronic Chassis Ear: Automotive

·
Registered
302 Posts
There are a few different materials I have used to stop squeaks and rattles. The best I have gotten from a craft supply store (michaels). They have felt and foam sheets of different thicknesses with and without adhesive backing. Another great matreial is the industrial Velcro furry side strips. The adhesive is strong and provides great padding.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks! You mentioned lubing the seat lever. How specifically did you do that? It sound like the squeak is internal, so I'd have to get the seat cover off...
Your noise may be coming from a different location, but mine I could hear over my left shoulder when I pressed my weight back in the seat or when driving over certain bumps or accelerating. I pressed on that knob/lever and it made noise. Figured that probably was the source.

I placed a towel around the area as best I could (to protect the surrounding leather, carpet and trim), lifted the knob up slightly and using the spray straw I shot a small amount of lubricant behind the knob (where it attaches to the arm). IIRC, I may have shot a very small amount of lube where the lever pivots, but I don't think that was necessary. I didn't want too much lube in there because I was concerned excess would drip down and possibly damage the seat's internals or the side airbag. The fix worked and so far the squeak hasn't returned.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Re: Stereo causing interior vibrations

Well.. after suffering through some pretty loud vibrations for 2 years (2+).. it took me to the internet to find the issue. The dealer could not. However, once I told them the root cause they still didn't fix it. Now they will order me a new updated window switch and I will go back for the 3rd official visit for the issue. I've mentioned the issue a few other times but wasn't sure what was going on.

I hope this link is ok to post as it has too much information to copy.

Speaker vibration or unusual sound issues anyone? - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Yes, my 2013 (Aug 2012) has other vibrations that are annoying... squeaking from under the dash is one example. I'm just tired of going in and them tell me sorry it is probably nothing or it is normal.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Re: Stereo causing interior vibrations

I gave up trying to fix the rattles in my car. I had one inside the driver door that the dealer couldn't fix (not sure they even tried that hard) that I was able to solve myself using the the DIY door panel removal thread on this site. A plastic wire clip was loose. That rattle has returned but I don't feel like messing with it again even though the door panel isn't difficult to take off. I have like 10 other rattles now (both doors, something in the dash, the rear hatch, etc.) so the hell with it.

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
I just bought a 2015 Toyota Tacoma 4cyl 5spd. It is one of the quietest vehicles I have ever owned. 70k sports cars should always be made at least as good as a 25k truck. If not they should fix the thing.

My experience with Porsche on this subject was pathetic.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts