Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I safely remount my RE 71s laterally (reverse direction)?

To the limited extent that, correctly mounted, these can be safely run on a wet track, by reversing direction will that capability be diminished or, worse, pose a risk?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yes you can reverse mount the RE71R's, then mount the wheels on the opposite side so the tire actually rolls the correct way. However, the water drain patterns do not fit a rain tire profile, so do not be surprised if you hydroplane in standing water. The tire side walls and shoulders are constructed to mirror each other. However, that being said, on a damp track with light rain, in Feb, I used my 2 year old, heat cycled out, tires successfully. No, I did not get top time, but they still had plenty of grip. But again, they are 2 years old and numerous heat cycles. Comparing these to my daily Michelin PS4's that are a year old and have less than 1k on them, the RE71R's still outperform the PS4's on the road as a daily driver. The NVH is not even close, though, Michelin's PS4's providing a much quieter and smoother ride.

Currently, I am using them up as they still have plenty of rubber across their face (not even close to the wear bars) and their shoulders due to reverse mounting still have plenty of rubber. This is with -2.9 degree camber f and -2.6 in the rear. I also have toe out 4 minutes in front and toe in 12 minutes in the rear. I am going to test these tires with a product called Hot Lap, a qualifying tire softener to regain some of the lost traction. I have no stress cracks, only some road rash on the outer shoulders, although who knows what shape the internal belts look like as I tend to run them a little low on pressures, 26 cold then 30f and 32r.

I use my Hoosier A7's as my primary hot weather race tire.

Edit- The Hot Lap really helped these two year old tires regain some of their lost grip. I used 3 coats of this stuff over 5 days before the weekend event. I have another two day event in Packwood, Wa. in mid July and will re coat the RE71R's in case of rain. Hoosier will be my main dry tire for the summer months. I will also coat these with Hot Lap after sitting in my garage for 6 months. There are all sorts of Hot Lap formulations, so I am sticking with a time trial mixture, good for 20 laps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts