Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

RE-71Rs discontinued?!?

9K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Jordan718 
#1 ·
I've been running the RE-71Rs for several years (a new set every Spring!) for street, autocross and track day use and have really liked them. My local tire shop tells me this year they are discontinued by Bridgestone with a replacement not due out until next year. The limited sizes available now are leftovers from last year... Has anyone else run into this? And what are other like minded street & competition drivers using? I see lots of folks on Michelins but I know many have been using the RE-71s as well.
Thanks!
Tim

#2 ·
Has anyone else run into this?
Yes, they stopped producing them last spring.

And what are other like minded street & competition drivers using?
Falken RT660 seems to be what RE71R users are switching to, at least in autocross circles. For trackdays you might want to look at the Goodyear Supercar 3.

#5 ·
I've been a Nitto NT-01 guy for years. I really love them on the track, but they are not a "200TW" tire that is the golden designation for AutoX.

I recently tried Hankook RS4s. They wear like iron on the track, but the grip isn't what the Nittos are. Lots of tread grooves, so would probably be good in the rain, but I don't have any experience yet to tell you.

Reactions: CGH3
#6 ·
I found a 2 year old set of RE-71s thru Amazon. I prefer Tire Rack, but that’s what I could find. Will probably move to Hoosier or Pirelli slicks.

#7 ·
TR was able to find me two rear 275/25/19 but I bailed. I opted for Toyo A052 245-275/35/19 and they look great. Compared against my thrashed RE71Rs with a durometer and they are definitely softer. Was leaning towards the R888R but I drive my car to the track and some are 300+ miles away - one review also talked about the ridiculous road noise of the R888Rs. Hope this helps.

#9 ·
I assume you guys in the US will be getting the new RE71RS?

Looks like a faster tire and already released in our part of the world. Not sure about availability though as I'm going to try Trofeo Rs next as better fitment in 20".

The RE71RS looks to have a good selection in the 19".

#14 ·
If you haven't seen it yet Apex has a list of recommended tire sizes for 18 and 19". I'd also consider the A052 but note it measures a size wider than similar labeled tires.

#19 ·
Well, I finally decided to give the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 (what a title!) a try, in place of my reliable annual set of RE-71Rs. Just picked up up my summer wheels with the new F1s mounted, so I'll have to give a report after a few autocrosses and track days. They look quite similar to the RE-71Rs in tread pattern, but its all about the rubber compound, so the jury is still out on that. Thanks for all the input above!

#20 ·
I just put a set of Yoko A052 245/35/19-275/35/19 on my 987.2 Cayman S. A tight fit, but I have clearance. The sidewalls are not recessed like the RE71 so the rims look exposed. Anyway, off to VIR this weekend to see ihow they hold up. Hope they are as good (feedback/control) as the RE71's. I'll post my thoughts when I get back.

BTW my tire guy said there are synthetic and natrual rubber shortages currently and they are having problems getting a lot of brands and sizes. My A052's took 3 weeks.

#23 ·
Review of the A052's after a weekend at VIR. I think they are at least as good as the RE71's for stick, car control etc. No roll over at all so a good sidewall and nice even wear for the camber I run. I started with 30 PSI cold all around ended the session at 39 front and 42 rear, bleed them to 36/37 hot and that seemed to be the sweat spot for me. However, I suggest you have them heat cycled before track use. I've never had a problem with break-in on RE71's. Drive them aggressively on the street a few miles and let them sit overnight and you're good to go. Not so with the A052. The first two-three runs they screamed in every turn and slid all over the place. In fact, (I will blame them, the driver can do no wrong) I went two-off on the last climbing S, that ate my 996 GT3 brake ducts in my second run. It was so bad I was ready to switch to my street tires for the rest of the weekend. The next day, they were completely different tires, low noise until the limit and incredible grip. I did beat my personal best in this car at this track by almost a second on day two. The weekend weather was great, low 70's to mid 80's. I hope they do as well in hot weather. Wear-life is unknown at this point, maybe they are wearing faster but that’s a guess. Back to VIR at the end of the month and I'll post again. BTW I made a point to look and quite a few Cayman's were wearing them this weekend. K

Reactions: bigmoguls
#24 ·
Thanks Wrongway, lots of details. My first time on them will be in a few weeks at Buttonwillow and central valley gets quite hot. I won't have the chance to have them heat cycles beforehand but I drive down to the track so this will hopefully address the break-in. Any ambient temp differences across the two days? You don't mention it but I found the RE71Rs to not telegraph too much before they break away - perhaps just me.

#26 ·
Hi ajahearn, how did the tires do for you? I've found that they let you know audibly when you are reaching the limit if loaded. See my review part 2 on temps. K

#25 ·
A052 Review Part 2,

I have 5 track days on them now. Good even overall wear. I swapped them side to side before this weekend. I'm close to the wear bars on all four tires. Just guessing I'd say 10-12 days max on a set for me. I drive 9/10's and push the car in the corners. Lap times improved this weekend also but that may be due to working on left foot braking and carrying more speed in the Climbing S's and early acceleration out of turn 17 onto the front straightaway. That said, the tires do provide all of the grip of 71RE's and more, maybe 15% faster wear? There is always a tradeoff. I'd buy another set no problem. Tire pressures were consistent when starting at 29, I end up with 36-37. Ambient temps were in the '60-'70s with mostly cloudy skies. A 90+ degree day with full sun may require lowering starting pressure a 1/2 lb or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.