Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Boxster convertible top care..

Are any of you using a product to protect the tops on your convertibles? The car I replaced with this Porsche was '05 Mazdaspeed MX5 and it's top had a different kind of material, more like a vinyl/rubber coated cloth, My new to me '13 Boxster's top is more like a clothe or canvas material.
Just curious if I should be using some kind of a protection on the clothe. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
399 Posts

There are several products available... I use Raggtop cleaner and protectant but there are other good brands. I beleive there are some threads here or on the PCA Boxster Register site that discuss the pros and cons and the various methods owners use in application (like masking the paint and windiws from overspray of the protectant).

·
Registered
355 Posts

I use 303 because it can be applied with a paint brush and you don't have to worry about overspray. That makes for quick application compared to the spray types. It's also fairly economical if you buy by the gallon.

Mine is a DD, and sits outside during the day, but garaged at night. We've been getting a ton of rain in Dallas this year, and it seems that I'm only able to go 2-3 months until it loses the beading. I'm not sure if that's typical or not.

I would love to see some sort of side-by-side comparison. Maybe one of these day's I'll do a half-and-half test.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

When your ready, I'll do the test with you, that we we can try 4 different products for everyone to learn from!
I live in wet coastal NorCal and my car is a DD also. I'll need to dry my top before I apply anything to it anyway, probably.

·
Registered
355 Posts

For my first application I bought the kit which contains both the fabric cleaner and the protectant. That one bottle of cleaner has lasted me 2 years with more to go. A little goes a long way.

I don't usually wash the top with any cleaners between treatments, just rinse it with water then dry it by laying a faux shammy on the top and pulling it across it to absorb the water, not really applying any significant pressure. Wring out the shammy and repeat. It feels nearly completely dry to the touch when you're done.

When I'm resealing the top, I wash the top in the evening then dry using the method above, applying a slight pressure to get a little more water out. I let it finish drying in the garage overnight and apply the protectant the next morning. The 303 needs to cure in direct sunlight 6-12 hours.

There is a marine version (30674) and a normal version (30607). I use the 30607. People who called the company indicated the response they received is that it's an identical product in different packaging.

·
Registered
460 Posts

I used Raggtopp for my S2000 and also used it for our 981 -- vinyl for the S2000 and fabric for the 981. Porsche dealer gave us a can of the Porsche protectant and I used that as well. I also tried Gyeon Q2. Going back to Raggtopp. I don't see a huge difference in the various products I've tried so far.

·
Registered
44 Posts

I've had good luck with the 303 cleaner and protectant. I use it on both the Boxster as well as the Bestop 'Sunrider' (sunroof) I have on my Jeep. Re-apply once a year for both.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I've had good luck with the 303 cleaner and protectant. I use it on both the Boxster as well as the Bestop 'Sunrider' (sunroof) I have on my Jeep. Re-apply once a year for both.
Same here, using 303 for years, always good results, reapplying once a year.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ditto! 303 for years!! I used to use a product called Graingers Fabsil but you cant get it in the states anymore so 303 became next best

·
Registered
45 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts

Not sure why I never considered 303 Fabric Guard when we got our Boxster as I've liked their protectant for all our vehicles. Just applied it with a mini roller today and it was much easier than any of the sprays. Hopefully it will work and last better as well since it's easier to apply better coats this way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts