Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: the speaker/mic mesh on top of the steering wheel..

I'm under the impression this is for hands free phone communication. I'm referring to the mesh that looks like speaker covers on top of the steering wheel.

I bought my car pre-owned so I'm not sure what this means. Is it of any use to me? I have no clue if this is just already there if someone gets an extra option or if I have the ability to use this in some way?

Any help is of course greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts

I believe that's the mike location for PCM. No idea if there's any use for it without PCM.

·
Registered
806 Posts

My understanding is that the mesh on the left is for the mic for the hands-free phone kit, and the mesh on the right is for the sound system.

My car did not come with the hands free phone kit, so I had a Tooki installed. I researeched having the installer put the mic into the steering column, and the conventional wisdom is aftermarket mics don't work well there. My mic is up by the sun visor.

As for the sound system, it listens to noises and adjusts the sound accordingly. This is called Audio Pilot or something like that. It increases volume as interior noises increase, changes base and treble, etc. However, I found my Bose sounds better with these gizmos turned off, audio pilot, surround sound, etc. Turn 'em off.

At least the above is true for my car, an '08 CS. You did not say what year/model/options your car has, so I don't know if this applies to your car or not.

·
Registered
671 Posts

Yep, and if you did not get the factory hands free kit the mic (the goodm mic anyway) is not in there.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts

...As for the sound system, it listens to noises and adjusts the sound accordingly. This is called Audio Pilot or something like that. It increases volume as interior noises increase, changes base and treble, etc. However, I found my Bose sounds better with these gizmos turned off, audio pilot, surround sound, etc. Turn 'em off...
+1 Bose sounds better for me also with this and the surround off.

Shame Porsche doesn't just prewire for most of this stuff. Makes life easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts