Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been 6 months of Porsche Cayman S ownership. I have no regrets, I picked this car to please ME. The handling, performance, reliability, style...I could go on but most of you love your Cayman. So do I.:)
Strange reactions and attitudes of others are bewildering, or I suppose expected in this recession times. Anywhere from compliments to enraged envy. But the most surprising are many of my co-workers. The most tacky comments are "How much did you pay for this?'" "Obviously, they're paying you too much at work?" "Are you a drug dealer?" Etc...
I try to ignore these, but sometimes they get to me. I bought the Cayman to enjoy, weekend trips, daily driving, mountain twisty roads and a DE at the track. I feel like I have to hide the car at work to avoid the negative attention. I'm not a wealthy person, my kids are grown up, my house mortage is small and I place a high priority in enjoying the drive and sports cars. Some people have SUV's that cost much more than my Porsche, and they are drowning in debt over raising kids and overpriced homes. So what gives? Why do I have justify driving a Porsche? :crazy:

Do you have the same treatment? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

By the way, I DO get a lot of compliments and that offsets the negatives.

--Hal

·
Registered
992 Posts
The most tacky comments are "How much did you pay for this?'" "Obviously, they're paying you too much at work?" "Are you a drug dealer?" Etc...
I can't imagine these comments in California, unless you're out in the boonies. Porsches are a dime a dozen out here...

·
Registered
567 Posts
I hear you. Even more expensive here...

Only immediate family on both my and wife's side, as well as close friends.

No one at the office or otherwise. Personal preference for myself.

- RB.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I can't imagine these comments in California, unless you're out in the boonies. Porsches are a dime a dozen out here...
I too am in the bay area, and Porsches are quite common. Still, people at work reacted to the purchase, but all with admiration. I think some wondered about the affordability, but all were surprised when I said it was three years old, since it looks new. That seemed to cause a rethink of how much I may have paid for it.

- Phil

·
Registered
992 Posts
I too am in the bay area, and Porsches are quite common. Still, people at work reacted to the purchase, but all with admiration. I think some wondered about the affordability, but all were surprised when I said it was three years old, since it looks new. That seemed to cause a rethink of how much I may have paid for it.

- Phil
Nice to see some more bay area folks on here. What are your favorite roads around here?

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
No one has ever been rude to me about the car, at least to my face. And, of course you don't have to justify your purchase. If your co-workers are that small-minded you better watch your back in general.

Just keep hanging out here; we like Caymans here.:cheers:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm on P-car no 4 and I find what you say to be all too common. As humans we can be petty, jealous, and defensive. Part of it is lack of understanding and education on the part of others. I find many people assume all Porsches are $100,000+ cars. Even if you buy used and, "got a deal," that is no excuse for your outlandish purchase for many.

I've received the, "are you a drug dealer" line of inquiry more times than I can count. The irony of course is many of the people who are most rude or condescending often have non-sports car vehicles that cost more than the Cayman/Boxtser twins.

In the end though perception is reality. You can often disarm a would be defensive/rude person by showing your appreciation of automotive culture and compliment them on their chosen ride. Once they learn you are not the stereotype of the "rich asshole" they assume you are they will often lower their defensive stance and take and interest in your car. Others will always be negative in their thoughts of you no matter what you say or do. They will think you a cheat, crook, trust fund baby, etc. It is sad but true.

Fortunately there are many people who will give you the approving wave or thumbs up and compliment you on your Porsche. Many will want to know how fast it is or how much it cost. Some will not believe you when you tell them.

Luckily you already know you bought the car for you to enjoy and not to impress others. Enjoy your car, try to be a good ambassador for all Porsche owners and most of all use the opportunity to inspire those around you when you can and educate those who want to be educated. As much as it can hurt you have to resign yourself to ignore the haters. You can not change them.

·
Registered
567 Posts
In the end though perception is reality. You can often disarm a would be defensive/rude person by showing your appreciation of automotive culture and compliment them on their chosen ride. Once they learn you are not the stereotype of the "rich asshole" they assume you are they will often lower their defensive stance and take and interest in your car. Others will always be negative in their thoughts of you no matter what you say or do. They will think you a cheat, crook, trust fund baby, etc. It is sad but true.
This.

- RB.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I enjoy my car and come across things like this every now and then. Living in the DC Metro area, you do see Porsche cars once or twice a week, depending on what part of town you're in.

Being only 27 and driving a car that cost me over 100K to purchase, people do start to think crazy things. Honestly, it doesn't bug me one bit, because when I was a kid, I came from a very poor environment that people in my part of town have not experienced, and I never forget what I went through during those years... school kids can also be very cruel to those who are less fortunate. We all have something that drives/motivates us to achieve the best, a Porsche can be seen as a reward.

I just see the car for what it is, when people ask me what car I drive, I tell them a Toyota Camry. I have been caught in this lie many times over, but given my childhood background/experience, I never believe one is "above" others merely by the cost of their vehicle.

·
Registered
973 Posts
i bought my car at 24 with my own money and never had a prob, just compliments

however i did get pulled over twice by cops and on separate occasions they've asked me
"Is this your car?"
"is this your dad's car"
"what do you do?"
As if that private info is relevant..

I feel sorry for these type of BUMS that don't understand money flow.

there's a saying........."haters gonna hate"

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bet they are really angry if you tell them you bought his and hers caymans :hilarious:

People have different priorities. I have friends that spent just about every dolar of their paychecks on random junk and complain about why they can't afford a sports car, house, vacation, etc.. I know how you feel though when people find out how little I pay for rent...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bet they are really angry if you tell them you bought his and hers caymans :hilarious:

No, they wouldn't be angry, they would think I was totally loony!!:crazy:
Well, I know *I'm* crazy anyway. Crazy about sports cars.

I will not clue them in about the two Caymans.
But a week after my wife drove her Cayman to work, she was laid off!
After 12 years at the company. Actually I think the Porsche was part of the reasoning in the lay-off from work.

Yes, there are haters and admirers. I try to avoid the haters and ignore their comments.

--Hal

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Does it really matter that much to you what others think? Ignore the troglodytes and come here frequently to enjoy the company of friends who appreciate your fine taste in automobiles. (I think Aesop wrote a story about this type of scenario many years ago.)

Life is short! Enjoy the ride!:banana::dance::beer::cheers::burnout:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Interesting thread. Here in Socal, my Cayman is almost anonymous except to true car geeks and track hounds and I like it that way. I have heard "nice chick car", "nice entry level Porsche", etc though and I just smile. I owned a 997 and it got a lot of attention. Did not much care for it. Ended up part of why I sold it. I could have bought another one when I bought the Cayman. I chose the CS because I just liked it better and don't give a damn what other people like or think is "better". Prior to my CS, I had an EVO VIII as my weekend car. The comments I got on that car as a 40 year old guy driving it would have made you laugh. It didn't bother me - another one of the greatest and most fun sports cars I've ever owned.

This thread did make me think about what I went thru this morning though. I had a meeting with a potential new boss. In my business these days, the Prius is the new status symbol among the successful. Less is more. Given the new prejudice against anything that might resemble conspicuous consumption, I opted to take my A3 just just to be safe. I'll drive the CS all weekend to make up for it though :)

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Pushing 70, I just got tired of not having a Porsche. My sweet wife finally insisted, "just do it." I get all sorts of strange responses even at my age where I clearly deserve whatever good fortune comes my way. I wouldn't change much in my selection if I had to do it over again. The best positive remark from a close female friend was "You're obviously completely out of control." Finally, living the dream!
:dance:

·
Registered
567 Posts
I think it varies with the environment. Someone in public, on the street, coming out of a store is whatever...

Office is a tad different but again, this varies on who you work with and where. My mother had a friend (pretty successful lawyer). He was in the company of others who couldn't handle it, even though they had similar or greater means to achieve.

Sometimes, it isn't just the ability to purchase one, but the guts to go through with it. It's special, no question and anything different will be challenged. As long as you are mentally strong; know where you're from and where you're going as mentioned, you will never have cause for concern...

- RB.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Two most recent comments from friends at a wine-tasting party:

"I heard you are buying a Volkswagen."

"Why did not you buy an M3? They are technically superior."

I just smiled...

On the other hand, a friend of mine who works at a BMW dealership and has been trying to sell me an M3/335i for 3 years called the Cayman S a beautiful car. Most of my colleagues and co-workers reacted very positively including a guy who has a 625 HP Camaro on order. I think if people know you than there is no need to justify the purchase.

Tamas

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi there, great thread, I live in a not too posh area of town just so I could afford a cayman S, thinking of part exchanging it with a 2007 carrera S soon. People in England either give you the thumbs up or try to cut you up or not let you out.

You do get used to it though, some very stupid people about.. beware!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I live in Richmond and work out of NoVA/DC/MD. Common question I get is "How do you afford that with four kids?" Easy answer for me: "Enjoy your 650k mortgage on your 450k house. I'll enjoy the same salary, a slightly longer commute, and more toys."

1 - 20 of 102 Posts