Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 981S with heated seats and steering wheel with the intention of it being a year round vehicle. I also went with PASM and PTV as these will give me more traction when the road conditions are less than ideal. I make ~3 road trips a month between the Philadelphia area and southern Virginia. I picked my car up at the end of March, and just had my 20,000 mile service performed. I had my winter tires and wheels put on today (the dealer stores my off season setup). I stuck with the 19" OEM setup: 235/40/19 in the front and 265/40/19 in the rear. I chose to go with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA-4 tires on OZ Leggera HLT in Bright Race Grey. I've been running winter tires on my vehicles since 2004 and have used Blizzaks, Dunlops and Pirellis. I have been quite happy with the performance of all of them. That said, onto the photos:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Nice. They remind me of the Carrera S wheels.

Did you consider 18's?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you consider 18's?
Yes, I looked at the 18s and 20s (no longer available). The tires are the same width so there is no advantage except they would have been a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Look great. Do you have the specs for the leggeras and do they come in different finishes?

·
Registered
93 Posts
So for people in Northern Jersey/ NY area when do you put the winter tires on? First winter coming for my Cayman.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So for people in Northern Jersey/ NY area when do you put the winter tires
on?
I live in the Philadelphia suburbs, so the answer is NOW. Summer tires (y rated, z rated, etc.) need to be warm/hot to grip well. They are brittle in the cold and even on a dry road won't give you the traction/grip that they do in the warmer months. They just don't get hot enough. The compound used for winter tires is more pliable in the cold and result in enhanced performance on a cold dry road. When the roads are cold and wet, or snow/ice/slush covered, summer tires are treacherous at best. Winter tires are the only way to tackle such conditions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I live in the Philadelphia suburbs, so the answer is NOW. Summer tires (y rated, z rated, etc.) need to be warm/hot to grip well. They are brittle in the cold and even on a dry road won't give you the traction/grip that they do in the warmer months. They just don't get hot enough. The compound used for winter tires is more pliable in the cold and result in enhanced performance on a cold dry road. When the roads are cold and wet, or snow/ice/slush covered, summer tires are treacherous at best. Winter tires are the only way to tackle such conditions.
Thanks just checked the forecast of low 40's next week so I'm going to schedule.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Thank goodness this is another issue I don't have to deal with as I've never had to change tires because of the season/weather.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
In Ohio, I have been running winter tires for a month. I had a flat (morning was about 40F and first thought the flat was due to the cold and hard cornering but later found a 3/8 inch diameter 3 inch long piece of tool steel through the inside sidewall [left rear tire]). I quickly ordered a replacement summer tire and four winter tires and rims and it was simply easier for me to just swap the summer tires/rims for the winter tires/rims and get the car back on the road. A couple days later, I had the new tire mounted and balanced and am ready for next spring.

It is now winter tire time for sure, here. It got down to 27F last weekend. Soon, I have a trip up north and after it, I will be putting the car away for the winter, as much as I hate to do so, until next March. Trying to prevent exposure to road salt as much as possible.

In the summer, I had hydroplaning issues in the rain with the 20" Pirelli Pzeros. Car got squirrelly in heavy rain even with PTV and PSM on. Noticed that cruise control and other items were turned off by the computer to protect the car until the pavement dried up. I am hoping the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA-4 tires will be much better in that regard on the upcoming trip (actually hoping the roads are dry during the trip).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trying to prevent exposure to road salt as much as possible.
I've driven my '96 C4 Cab year round since 1996 when I bought it. That includes 10+ years in the northeast (Philly). I run it through the soft touch car wash a couple of times/month. I haven't noticed any adverse effects from road salt.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
312,000 miles. Holy _ _ _ _! Were you featured in a Panorama article? My 14 Cayman is a DD, too. I just got the same tires for my stock 19s. Getting them mounted next week. I was trying to figure out the best non-staggered set-up but couldn't get the info before I needed to order. We'll see how they do!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Driving Porsche Cayman GTS in the snow?

I live in Boston Massachusetts, and this is my first year with a Porsche (Cayman GTS). I am poised to order 19" OZ Ultraleggeras with Michelin Pilot Alpine PA4 N-specs from tirerack.com. If this allows me to continue driving throughout most of the winter, this will be a good investment. But I am wondering how practical this is - driving through a Boston winter with a Porsche Cayman.

I am interested in the experiences that others have had in driving their Porsches in the north (not Hawaii!). Is this a good plan, or should I garage the car for the winter and drive something else?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Re: Driving Porsche Cayman GTS in the snow?

I am interested in the experiences that others have had in driving their Porsches in the north (not Hawaii!). Is this a good plan, or should I garage the car for the winter and drive something else?
Based on my experience in Vermont and a 987.1 CS with Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II 240, N1:

The winter tires will allow you to drive most days in the winter safely and without issues. When the performance winter tires are new and have good tread, you will enjoy driving on snow, the car handles well and give you excellent feedback, you feel from your seat and steering wheel when traction is giving way. However, you will probably feel uneasy when you are driving on roads sprayed with salt and brine , and occasionally hear "tic, tic, tic" on the interstate from gravel bits hitting the windshield and hood. So if you are like me you will take Cayman most days, but use the back up AWD car for the really nasty commutes. Also keep in mind that the wide performance winter tires are not as good on snow/ice as more dedicated tread like Blizzacks. And when the tread wears below 5 mm, snow performance on any winter tire is much reduced. I am entering my third winter and will need new rears even though the tread looks decent and is fine for cold dry pavement.

Overall I have found the investment in separate winter rims and tires to be well worth it. The car is way too fun to be kept under wraps, especially since the majority of winter days have clear roads, even in VT. I will be doing the same when the GTS arrives.

Reactions: phlegm

·
Registered
60 Posts

BlueNorther, thanks for the feedback. Exactly what I was looking for - someone else from New England. Very helpful.

·
Registered
91 Posts

I'm new to using winter tires and I'm still not sure when to put them on. The rest of next week it looks like low temps around 40 and daytime high is upper 50s to mid 60s. So for my morning commute the winter tires would be good, but what happens to them on the drive home? Do the warm temperatures cause accelerated wear?

·
Premium Member
837 Posts

I'm new to using winter tires and I'm still not sure when to put them on. The rest of next week it looks like low temps around 40 and daytime high is upper 50s to mid 60s. So for my morning commute the winter tires would be good, but what happens to them on the drive home? Do the warm temperatures cause accelerated wear?
In general, when the average temperature falls to the 40's , it is a good time to put them on. You are getting there. If the tires are new, it will take a few hundred miles of break in for the tread to reach peak grip, so don't wait until until the last minute. It's not like they are going to melt in the 60s.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Rich-- Those wheels look better than the OEMs in my opinion (and I am rarely in favor of after-market wheels). Now I regret ordering the 18 inch base Boxster Winter Wheel set for my 2015. I pick up that set at the dealer circa Thanksgiving for installation. I should have taken the chance and ordered the wheels you just installed. I think they would have looked great on a black Boxster. Thanks for posting.

I got my 981S with heated seats and steering wheel with the intention of it being a year round vehicle. I also went with PASM and PTV as these will give me more traction when the road conditions are less than ideal. I make ~3 road trips a month between the Philadelphia area and southern Virginia. I picked my car up at the end of March, and just had my 20,000 mile service performed. I had my winter tires and wheels put on today (the dealer stores my off season setup). I stuck with the 19" OEM setup: 235/40/19 in the front and 265/40/19 in the rear. I chose to go with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA-4 tires on OZ Leggera HLT in Bright Race Grey. I've been running winter tires on my vehicles since 2004 and have used Blizzaks, Dunlops and Pirellis. I have been quite happy with the performance of all of them. That said, onto the photos:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
146 Posts
IMG_0301.JPG IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0299.JPG IMG_0298.JPG I put a set of OEM 18" winters on last week. Tires are Dunlop SP; full winter tire. The summer tires (20" Carrera) and wheels come off, and go into storage. Dedicated winter tires are, in my opinion and experience, essential for safe and enjoyable winter driving.

Will try to post a pic, soon.

Regards, -S.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts