Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal? Im using Pagid Yellows on my 2008 Boxster S and after 3 track days on them, the fronts are barely showing any wear, however the rear pads are maybe 1/3 or more worn. Brakes are amazing but I expected fronts to wear a little quicker than the rear. Anybody know about these things?

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
That certainly hasn't been the case with mine - it seems that the fronts should be taking the brunt of the braking, and therefore wearing faster. Perhaps something in your system is throwing off the normal front-rear bias.

Do you track the car with the PSM on? (A lot of PSM intervention might cause more wear on the rears)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do keep PSM on. but I don't think its doing a lot of correcting. At least I'm not noticing it being used so far.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you are driving on track with PSM on and you are trying to carry any speed and the car starts to "move around more" (read "slide") the rear brakes activate to "regain control" the car. Hence the increased rear wear over front. We see the same thing in BMWs. I suspect that PSM is intervening a lot more than you realize. Try running a session without PSM on and feel the difference. You will either be pleasently surprised...... or you will spin.
Best of luck,
Tom

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ditto - it's the PSM trying to stop any rotation. If you have Sport Chrono, turn it on (yellow light on). This raises the level of rotation/drift before the PSM decides you need some help. If your skill level is to the point that you feel comfortable, you can disable PSM. Otherwise some rear brake pad wear is relatively inexpensive insurance. :)

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
PSM - certainly and most likely this is it.

997 GT3 wears the rears TWICE as fast as the fronts!
Exactly opposite the traditional "norm" -

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Makes sense and thanks for the piece of mind. Now if spring would just hurry up and get here, I can get back to a track!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
My front pads seem to wear 30% faster then the rear pads but I have noticed some uneven wear on the rear. I run a lot at NJMP usually with PSM (Please Save Me) on. It wants to save me when I don't want to be saved, especially turn 2 at T-bolt and turn 5 at Lightning. Both are RH turns cresting a rise. I've also noticed intervention at Lightning on the exit of the LH under the bridge. I've gotten smoother there and no longer seem to have a problem. I'm mentioning NJMP due to the OP DE location.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes. I never noticed this until a day on the Lightning track at NJMP. Guess I'd better leave PSM on then because apparently it's doing its thing and keeping me on the track. See you at the track next spring BillL223!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts