·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and 2010 GT3
716 Posts
Take it to a body shop…or have wrapped until you get it to the shop… that should cost you 300-400

·
Administrator
'11 Cayenne TT, '09 Boxster
700 Posts
Chances are - the results from a spray can touchup will be worse than what you have now. Getting the metallic particles to line up correctly is impossible unless you paint the entire panel - and getting that dust-free factory gloss finish is about impossible with spray cans.

You might want to check with some local body shops on what they'd charge to repair and spray it if you removed the bumper cover. A good part of the cost of doing the job is removal and installation. These aren't hard to do - just time-consuming which runs up the labor charge.

Your other choice would be touchup with a touchup paint pen. Results will be visible but if done very carefully may mask most of the damage. It does look like there is some crush damage on the bottom edge of the bumper cover - that will likely require professional help to really make it go away.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and 2010 GT3
716 Posts
He’s right^ it’ll look like east side lake on windy day… try buffing it out until you get it painted… that can really help blend things

·
Registered
646 Posts
A good shop won't even need to shoot the entire cover for a repair that will be seamless, otherwise as Don said remove, spray and replace. Also, you can try your own touch up without causing more work for a pro if you're going to brush touch or try Dr Color smear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a pro who repainted part of the rear bumper of another I had, and while the color and blend were perfect, the overspray from the paint and clear coat created a rough texture on the areas that were not painted. Probably could be resolved by a pro detailer though. But in hindsight I would have gotten the whole thing repainted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE:

I have an arrangement to get rear completely fixed professionally (next month was earliest available time) but in the meantime I used touchup paint because I figured it will all be sanded and repainted anyway. Well it looks better unless you look closeup. My question is, the very bottom black portion which was scratched up. The shop said they can either replace that part or sand it and wrap it, and they recommended carbon fiber look wrap though I am not a fan of fake carbon fiber. They also gave me this example:

I admit it looks pretty nice but also I could just go with matte or gloss black. The other option is just leave that part as is. Here is a closeup pic of before and after I worked on it yesterday:

You can see on the before pic, there was a white area. I touched that up with black touchup paint. It is definitely far from perfect and will just get me by till I can take it to a professional next month.

Anyway, thanks for looking and LMK what you think of the wrap idea and if so, what color? They would wrap both the rear and front lip (which is also good since I have some chips and scratches on the front lip).

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think the carbon fiber wrap looks fine. And I think the bumper looks fine with the touch up paint. If it were me, I wouldn't be spending money to have it repainted. Unless, it's not a large chunk of change.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
If you are not into car shows I'd do a little more work to fill in the chips and leave it at that. I have experienced that full repaints are never as good as the factory job when it comes to durability.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the carbon fiber wrap looks fine. And I think the bumper looks fine with the touch up paint. If it were me, I wouldn't be spending money to have it repainted. Unless, it's not a large chunk of change.
It doesnt look too bad in picture, but in person you can definitely see the touchup.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you are not into car shows I'd do a little more work to fill in the chips and leave it at that. I have experienced that full repaints are never as good as the factory job when it comes to durability.
I do C & C a lot here along with E & Es so I wont be going to any of them anytime soon till its fixed properly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you have little to lose by trying to fix it yourself. I had similar superficial bumper damage and I tried to fix it myself. It was OK, but I ended up getting it done at a recommended body shop. However, the color is not a perfect match. I can see the difference pretty easily, I'm not sure if others can but it will always bother me a little. I did take it back to the shop but they said it was an acceptable match. So a pro job does not guarantee 100% satisfaction.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts