Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around for various ideas here, looking under the car I'm unsure how to get the back up on jack stands. I see people mention using a craftsman thing from sears that called lift n secure but that isn't available anymore. I see mentions of ramps but there's no way I can back this thing up on my ramps with it's ultra wide tires and low stance. I've seen some various discussion about where you can jack the back up but lots of disagreements about whether it's safe or not and also it's hard to correlate between different generations as to what spots people are talking about.

There are two places I can see to jack it up in the back...

Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior Wheel Vehicle

First on the left side of this shot is a metal u bracket coming down under the transmission. I swear I've seen youtube videos of people using this spot, but it doesn't look super safe to me. The next option on the right looks like it's directly under the suspension arm and seems like that would be safe as it already supports the weight of the rear wheel (well, part of it).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've seen that, I'm just having a little bit of a hard time orienting that to what I see under my car. I think what I have circled on the right is the rear of the wishbone (I don't know if that's what it's called but it looks like one) and they are saying to jack it up under the front part of that instead, does that sound right?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yeah I've seen that, I'm just having a little bit of a hard time orienting that to what I see under my car. I think what I have circled on the right is the rear of the wishbone (I don't know if that's what it's called but it looks like one) and they are saying to jack it up under the front part of that instead, does that sound right?
Yes, I believe that is correct, jack under the front arm of the "arched casting".

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am pretty paranoid about working under the car so I have considered the jackpoint stands, might pick them up someday for the rear at least (since that's usually where you are). That lift bar looks interesting too though google is not turning up anything about them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The center red location is what you want to use. Fabspeed sells a mount for that point that simplifies it even further if you want to.
I hadn't heard that before, but a rear center jacking point makes raising the car much easier, and I think safer. (The left side - right side method always makes me a little nervous.) Is there a center front area jack point?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I use jackpoints. You only need 2. Lift on the rear jack point and it will lift the front high enough to slide a regular stand under the front jack point. Slide the jackpoint under the rear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use the liftbars when I need to get the entire car in the air. They work very well.
If I want to go full height on the jackstands, its been my practice to set up one side of the car on the liftbars and jackstands at a low height, bring the other side up to full height, then go back around and bring the first side up to full height, as depicted in the gif.
You may need to initially drive up onto wood planks in order to get the proper clearance under the car to insert the liftbar and jack combination. That would depend on your jack profile and your ride height.

·
Registered
489 Posts
+1 on liftbars.
In addition to what motherFNbrandon mentioned, since liftbars are custom made for the car, they fit the jacking points perfectly and have a rounded buttom that fits into the curved palm of a standard jack stand, making for a very sturdy setup.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jackpoints and liftbars will run $300 for either :( And I already have jack stands. So after all this I see now how to get it all up on stands, the only problem is you can't get it very high. If I use the rear jack points to get a jackstand under the front jackpoint, I can only get the front high enough to get a jackstand under there if it's all the way down. Then to keep the car level I'd have to also get the jackstands under the back all the way down. Then at that point I have no way to jack it up any higher to extend the jack stands a bit.

Short of the liftbars is there a way to get the car up higher?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Before I got my lift, I used a piece of wood on my floor jack pad, and jacked from the rear center point (the left circle on your picture). The whole back end of the car lifted up nicely, and I slid the jack stands under their respective points ahead of the rear wheels and lowered the jack.

If you don't need to remove the rear wheels, it's faster and more stable to lift the rear as described and then set the car back down on ramps under the rear tires.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Before I got my lift, I used a piece of wood on my floor jack pad, and jacked from the rear center point (the left circle on your picture). The whole back end of the car lifted up nicely, and I slid the jack stands under their respective points ahead of the rear wheels and lowered the jack.

If you don't need to remove the rear wheels, it's faster and more stable to lift the rear as described and then set the car back down on ramps under the rear tires.
After you've done that, is there a method to get the front up on jack stands? I currently use the left-side right-side method (post #2), but would love to replace it with a back then front method, but it seems you'd need a front center jack point.

·
Registered
279 Posts

I am sorry to hijack the topic but what kind of lift you got? I am seriously thinking of buying one and still cannot decide. Also if you don't mind me asking, how big is your garage?

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I've searched around for various ideas here, looking under the car I'm unsure how to get the back up on jack stands. I see people mention using a craftsman thing from sears that called lift n secure but that isn't available anymore. I see mentions of ramps but there's no way I can back this thing up on my ramps with it's ultra wide tires and low stance. I've seen some various discussion about where you can jack the back up but lots of disagreements about whether it's safe or not and also it's hard to correlate between different generations as to what spots people are talking about.

There are two places I can see to jack it up in the back...

View attachment 150658

I hadn't heard that before, but a rear center jacking point makes raising the car much easier, and I think safer. (The left side - right side method always makes me a little nervous.) Is there a center front area jack point?
First on the left side of this shot is a metal u bracket coming down under the transmission. I swear I've seen youtube videos of people using this spot, but it doesn't look super safe to me. The next option on the right looks like it's directly under the suspension arm and seems like that would be safe as it already supports the weight of the rear wheel (well, part of it).

Any suggestions?
There is no approved center jack point in the front or the rear of these cars, no dealer does it this way and Porsche does not recommend that you do either, that rear location was not designed for lifting... And before somebody says "I always do it that way" or "I have never had a problem..." YMMV and you are taking a chance, at least be honest about that much.

You should strongly consider Jackpoint stands or lifting bars if you don't have a lift/hoist.

Reactions: bruinfn4lf
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.