Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's winter, I'm bored, needed to do something with my 981S to raise the spirit.

First I bought tinted taillights. Then I added a few more things to do to the list:
-Complete removal of all letters
-Remove of license plate surround
-Hopefully - the GTS diffuser, if I can find one without holes
-New Michigan license plate with smoked plat cover

First of all I took the car out of garage, run it for half an hour, then put it back rear first. Car was completely undrivable on the snow on my driveway. (My tires are shot, I'll buy new ones in the spring)

All ready for changes:

Bumper dropped, taillights removed. This shot looks extremely cool to me somehow

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's clear that 981 could've been at least 1 foot shorter and lighter with trade-off of the trunk space. I'd like that. I rarely use rear trunk:

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I can finally look at the back of the bumper to see what needs to be done to get rid of fat license plate surround. Something I wanted to do ever since I got the car

The surround is attached with 4 screws and a honeycomb structure. The honeycomb structure goes against aluminum bar when on the car

When screws are removed, the surround comes off and honeycomb thingies too

The revealed space does not look good

Even after serious attempt with abrasive paste, some traces of surround are still etched into the paint.

So it looks like whole bumper will need to be repainted after holes are filled :( :( :(

Reactions: gfspencer

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Even after serious attempt with abrasive paste, some traces of surround are still etched into the paint.

So it looks like whole bumper will need to be repainted after holes are filled :( :( :(
Roger T to the multi-hole fill and total repaint.

As posted in much earlier thread when I had bumper off to get LG's 2013 "black" lic surround painted, this is what my Body Shop said they would need to to do if I wanted a totally clean - no surround look. With Lime-Gold being so tough to match (ask me how I know ) the cost of full bumper repaint was measurably more than to just get "surround" painted so I went cheap :hilarious: and :crazy: with the former only. In hindsight, I wish I had said to them just do it as you now plan to do. Oh well!

Expect all will turn out very nice and await pics and final cost for fill and repaint, since you have already dismounted bumper.

:cheers:

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got a quote from the body shop I usually use... Quite shocking. I was prepared for like $3-400... But $740??? I can't say to them "just do it" at that price. Will try another one tomorrow :(

ESTIMATE TOTALS
Body Labor 6.0 hrs @ $ 50.00 /hr 300.00
Paint Labor 5.4 hrs @ $ 50.00 /hr 270.00
Paint Supplies 5.4 hrs @ $ 30.00 /hr 162.00
Subtotal 732.00
Sales Tax $ 162.00 @ 6.0000 % 9.72
Grand Total 741.72

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plan C is carbon fiber insert matching the contour of whole indent area. But I'm not really 100% happy with that solution

Plan D is this:

·
Registered
294 Posts
But just leaving it the way it came is free.

I guess I'm missing the point.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But just leaving it the way it came is free.

I guess I'm missing the point.
Yes, you are. You live in Bay Area and can just drive your car. I live in Michigan and have to do something to not get bored to death in winter! :)

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Plan E: Get snow tires, take car for a drive when the roads are dry. Then clean the car when you get back. I use a waterless cleaner and lots of microfiber towels when back in the garage.

(But of your other choices, I'd go Plan D: quick, simple, clean look.)

·
Registered
474 Posts
What about instead of the CF surround you use a flat plate painted to match that would go behind the tag? If it is thin it might not be that noticeable. I am glad I don't mind the stock look on this part - my wife would kill me if I spent $$ doing this! :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Got a quote from the body shop I usually use... Quite shocking. I was prepared for like $3-400... But $740??? I can't say to them "just do it" at that price. Will try another one tomorrow :(

ESTIMATE TOTALS
Subtotal 732.00
Grand Total 741.72
Boy, to me it looks like a long run for a short slide. I didnt even know it existed? I'll have to go out to the garage and check. carl

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Plan E: Get snow tires, take car for a drive when the roads are dry. Then clean the car when you get back. I use a waterless cleaner and lots of microfiber towels when back in the garage.

(But of your other choices, I'd go Plan D: quick, simple, clean look.)
You don't understand! There are no clean roads. Where I live $hit is falling from the sky almost every day since December. So they dump the salt on the road every day. My daily commute is 70 miles at least. Washing car is useless. My Subie winter beater looks like that the next day after carwash. My Boxster soft top would pretty much get destroyed, windshield would get sand blasted and the undercarriage...

I'm sure Porsche would make it, but I just don't have to subject my baby to this. I plan to keep it long time. When I was removing the bumper, I was shocked in a good way at how clean and practically new everything look under the engine. Not even a hint of rust on the muffler. All the links looking brand new...

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I think plan D looks pretty good but I must say that those shop rates out in MI look like 1970 compared to North East prices. $50 an hour? You should be smilin'. :hilarious:

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think plan D looks pretty good but I must say that those shop rates out in MI look like 1970 compared to North East prices. $50 an hour? You should be smilin'. :hilarious:
I think they tripled the actual time to compensate for that. 6 hours to fill 5 1/2" holes? Really? If I knew what epoxy exactly to use I'm pretty sure I can do that in hour... 10 minutes to fill, 50 to sand. Hmm may be that's what I should do.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PORSCHE is gone.

Tinted tail lights are absolutely awesome. Why would Porsche ship my car with those red blobs and then I have to pay half a grand to fix it is beyond me...

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts

ESTIMATE TOTALS
Subtotal 732.00
Grand Total 741.72
Hi T,

I agree these costs seem high but I live in CPa. I checked my Body Shop costs for some of the work done last year. This shop is said to be the best within 100 miles of me - many restorations and hi end cars and with 30 yrs experience - and his quality has been top notch for LG so far.

His body and paint labor rates for the work I had done last year were $48/hr and paint supplies ran $150-170 per job. The biggest difference seems to be the # of hours he billed - maybe half those posted above for some maybe comparable effort. If number of hrs above were stepped down accordingly, then your target $$ is about right on. I agree as to seeing what another shop wants.

Good luck and I really want to see that clean "license mount" look but with your $$$ though.;)

:cheers:

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a quote from another place for $300! Now we are talking! At $300 it's a go. But i'll wait for few more quotes. There is another shop I used/liked and I'd prefer to go there

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
PORSCHE is gone.

That's looking good, I also removed the Boxster S and may remove the PORSCHE as well. Looking forward to seeing your plate bracket solution.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is my plate bracket solution - no plate bracket at all:)
Bumper is back from the body shop. Nice and proper, how it should've been from the factory. See if you can find the difference:

Now waiting for the diffuser from the SchnellAuto to finish it all.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts