Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,425 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I'd be interested to know whether or not it fits a PDK car...

JC,

I'll let you know. I ordered it and it is due in on Tuesday. I have to work on the car on the driveway, so weather impacts suspension work. Right now, Tuesday evening is looking good to work outside, but the weather report at 8AM today for today was good until noon and I got rained out after 90 minutes at 10:45AM.

V6

·
Registered
628 Posts
i have something similar from Rennline on 987 - i think it made some difference.
For the price - i think it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
525 Posts
JC,

I'll let you know. I ordered it and it is due in on Tuesday. I have to work on the car on the driveway, so weather impacts suspension work. Right now, Tuesday evening is looking good to work outside, but the weather report at 8AM today for today was good until noon and I got rained out after 90 minutes at 10:45AM.

V6
Cheers V6!

I've actually ordered a piece from FVD that is supposed to do the same thing. At least it should fit, and I imagine in terms of functionality all these braces accomplish the same thing.

They didn't even have a picture of it on their site though, but it ships from Europe so it's cheap and no import taxes. Ordering stuff like this from the US is prohibitively expensive, and the Porsche part was inconclusive in terms of fitment when I needed to decide on ordering.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
No rubbing with the PDK above? Any pictures?"

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...-monster-car-mod-post1795338.html#post1795338

Three posts have all the pictures that you need to make the judgement for yourself. The space was so cramped I just held my Canon point and shoot up into crevasses and pressed the shutter button and hoped for enough good photos of something of interest to post. I am thankful for the auto macro focus mode of the camera. I took 40+ photos, sorted out the out of focus photos and removed duplicates and settled on the 7 photos that I posted. They show the fit quite well and I am a little bit proud of them.

IMO, there is at least 1 inch of vertical clearance, but the brace is only about 1/2 inch behind the lower pan of the PDK transmission.

The only issue is if the two holes in the tail of the brace need to have matching holes in the pan and bolted together with the pan, to prevent bowing or flexing of the brace when under stress. There is a photo that shows this quite well.

[UPDATE] A kind P-9er posted a photo in my mod thread of the bar in the 718 and it does indeed have bolts to connect the brace and the pan. So the factory thinks they are needed.

V6

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've actually ordered a piece from FVD that is supposed to do the same thing. At least it should fit, and I imagine in terms of functionality all these braces accomplish the same thing.
So, I've received this now. Things have not gone entirely as well as my simplistic assumptions suggested.

What I received was a bar made by a company I'd never heard of, Ultra racing, an outfit from Malaysia who seem to make all kinds of bars and braces for people on a budget. Ultra Racing Europe :: Porsche Cayman 981 14+ UltraRacing 2-Point Rear Lower Brace - Cayman - Porsche - Products by Car Model :: Official European Distributor

It's marked to fit a 991 C4S, nothing else is mentioned. Bit weird, that they're so very specific about the car model not even mentioning a C2S never mind any 981s. Is it safe to assume that it would fit both 981 and 991? I've asked FVD but my contact seems to have left on holiday so it may take a while.

The holes eat each end of the bar are somewhat slotted, allowing for some variation in terms of length, maybe an inch in total. I'm wondering if there is no risk of the bolts slipping in this slot (assuming that the bolts don't fall right at the end of the slots when the bar goes on obviously)

Does this thing look usable? I did let FVD know I wasn't very happy to receive this thing given the difference between what it goes for online and what I paid them, and to their credit they immediately suggested a partial refund to make up the difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.