Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
You can't go wrong with Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Expensive but relatively quiet and they seem to wear well, in fact I got 24,000 miles out of the rears and will likely get twice that out of the fronts. I'm running them now and getting ready to replace the rears with the same tire as soon as tomorrow. The Pilot Sport 4S are also getting good reviews. Good luck.

PS......don't mix tire manufacturers or models. If you're just going with new rears, which is what I'm doing, Porsche and Tire Rack highly recommend keeping the fronts and backs the same model, otherwise handling will be affected negatively.

·
Registered
4 Posts
are you trying to go to a higher aspect ratio, like a 45 instead of a 40? or a wider tire?

I am curious if anyone thinks a 45 series tire on the 98 would be a problem. I know people who use a smaller aspect ratio because RE71R's only are available in an 35 series on their 265 tires. The 35 series are about 4% smaller and the 45 series would be about 4% bigger. I think the larger sidewall would look better to.

Anyone have experience going to a taller tire?

·
Vendor
310 Posts
are you trying to go to a higher aspect ratio, like a 45 instead of a 40? or a wider tire?

I am curious if anyone thinks a 45 series tire on the 98 would be a problem. I know people who use a smaller aspect ratio because RE71R's only are available in an 35 series on their 265 tires. The 35 series are about 4% smaller and the 45 series would be about 4% bigger. I think the larger sidewall would look better to.

Anyone have experience going to a taller tire?
Mated to a 235/40 or 245/40 front, a 265/35 rear can be run with success. It is worthwhile to note that RE71R are indeed offered in these sizes.

In our 987 fitment guide, we've highlighted setups that are known to work well for street and track use - seen below.
https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003019114-987-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Porschiste
1,445 Posts
I have 275/35 ZR19 on the rears on my car. They are Michelin PSS - I find them noisy, but I have a Cayman R which has less soundproofing than other models. As to wear, I've never been able to get more than about 10,000 miles out of the rears - I'm on my second set at 28,000 miles - original front tires though. I guess there is a cost fo driving in Sport Mode all the time....

Another resources for looking at tire options is The Car Bibles. This is the link to their "ultimate" tire guide. Nice to know what your speedometer error will be when looking at different tire sizes and aspect ratios.

https://www.carbibles.com/tire-size-calculator/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.