Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the top up, my 2013 Boxster is downright dangerous to back up. Has anyone experience with putting in a rear view camera?

·
Registered
973 Posts
With the top up, my 2013 Boxster is downright dangerous to back up. Has anyone experience with putting in a rear view camera?
Pretty sure that Westcoaster did a retrofit and documented a detailed write-up on what was done on here somewhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just finished an install of a Maxspeed camera in a 2016 BGTS. Install went fine and everything works.
Thanks for the referral. I'm very impressed with how Maxspeed presents itself on its website. I'll definitely be pursuing a solution through them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In this thread, post #59 is extremely helpful.

Reactions: rakvak

·
Registered
20 Posts

I did Joyeauto installation with CarPlay and rear camera connectivity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In this thread, post #59 is extremely helpful.

Thanks for the referral. I'm very impressed with how Maxspeed presents itself on its website. I'll definitely be pursuing a solution through them.
I just finished an install of a Maxspeed camera in a 2016 BGTS. Install went fine and everything works.
For anyone else contemplating installing a Maxspeed camera: Their current setup will only work if your PCM is at least version 4.xx. Mine is version 3.43. Their website says they'd have a work-around available 2 months ago that involves a rearview mirror swap (video there instead of PCM screen). But, Nello told me yesterday that they've scrapped that. Instead, they expect to have an alternative version ready to go by the end of January that will work the same as the original kit.

·
Registered
2013 Boxster S, Aqua Blue Metallic over Agate/Pebble Gray
21 Posts
I had a recent enough vintage PCM in my ‘13 BS that the Maxspeed system, which I had a local shop here in Central NJ install for me (along with their curb height front view camera to avoid bumping into curb stops in parking lots where you can’t see to curb height under front bumper) - they do phenomenal work, btw, if you are near me and interested LMK and I’ll give you the info; they also put my K40 in the car, which they’ve done for every car I’ve had over the last 12 years - works great. The rearview is better than front. You have to hit the defroster button twice in quick succession to make the front view work, and sometimes it takes more than two pushes, plus it won’t work with top down.

I also recommend swapping out the stock mesh diffuser with a clear piece, if you have the mesh, which helps a little bit with making it easier to see out the back. See my thread here. 981 Visibility Upgrade - Inside Rear View Mirror, Clear...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Look at tadibrothers.com and at nav-tv.com. Both offer rear and front cameras integrated into the PCM. If you go that route, I can strongly recommend getting a front camera too. It makes it much easier to pull into parking spaces and not hit the curb stops, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed a rear camera in my 987.2 and I liked it so much I added a front camera. I posted a how-to on another popular Porsche forum. Mine are independent from the PCM so I have an extra screen mounted on the dashboard. Each camera has it's own switch and I can turn them on at any time when the car ignition is on. I never want another car without cameras! Good luck with your install.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed a rear camera in my 987.2 and I liked it so much I added a front camera. I posted a how-to on another popular Porsche forum. Mine are independent from the PCM so I have an extra screen mounted on the dashboard. Each camera has it's own switch and I can turn them on at any time when the car ignition is on. I never want another car without cameras! Good luck with your install.
What company/website did you use? Have you a photo of what your installation looks like?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts