Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a Cayman S 2006 model with Parr Racing kit and TPC turbo. I am in Australia so this car is very unusual.

I plan to do Porsche Club events with it but no door by door racing.

I want to put a rear spoiler on the car like the 997 Gen 2 GT3 RS or the new Cayman GT4.

Anyone know where i can get this?

Down Under

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd like to hijack this thread to hopefully get some thoughts flowing about wings and splitters for the Gen 1 and Gen 2. Specifically, I really like the way the new GT4 wing mounts right to the rear deck. I am hoping Getty or someone else will copy this design for the earlier versions of the Cayman. I never cared for the big "whale" tail base piece that the Interseries wing uses, nor the Getty RS base. The GT4 design is far more visually elegant a solution frankly, with its cleaner lines and lower profile. Seems like a great solution for a dual use street/track car. So, manufacturers, would it be possible to make a clone of the GT4 wing for the rear decks of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Cayman's? One bolting directly to the rear deck lid, and one using a smaller base plate to cover the rear OEM wing mounting through holes or base plate area?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was planning on just making my own about 4 years ago even before the GT4 came out, however I went a different way when I was able to get a Motorlux wing- similar to Prodgers.

Basically I was able to get just the wing blade from a Techart wing but didn't want to use the big base that mounts on the rear deck. I was looking at the APR wing mounts as they had different sizes and different heights. The problem was the Techart wing was big and heavy and wasn't sure if there will be too much drag and not sure how the mounts will hold at speed.

If I can find a decent sized and weighted wing blade, I may look at this option again but would need a bigger splitter in the front to compensate. I have a small splitter now from a 996 GT3 which (I think) works with the small Motorlux wing. There re several CF wing blades that APR or Voltex makes but none are similar to the wing form of the GT4. The closest one is the one that Getty makes that mounts on that huge base. I may just use that wing blade and use or fabricate my own mounts- but nowhere in the near future for me at the moment.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Before I decided to go with the Getty RS Wing and Wing Base, I looked at APR. Their standard mounts didn't work but they can and have done a custom Cayman mount. Photo is the Getty Wing

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
did you buy the car locally or did you import it??

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'd like to hijack this thread to hopefully get some thoughts flowing about wings and splitters for the Gen 1 and Gen 2. Specifically, I really like the way the new GT4 wing mounts right to the rear deck. I am hoping Getty or someone else will copy this design for the earlier versions of the Cayman. I never cared for the big "whale" tail base piece that the Interseries wing uses, nor the Getty RS base. The GT4 design is far more visually elegant a solution frankly, with its cleaner lines and lower profile. Seems like a great solution for a dual use street/track car. So, manufacturers, would it be possible to make a clone of the GT4 wing for the rear decks of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Cayman's? One bolting directly to the rear deck lid, and one using a smaller base plate to cover the rear OEM wing mounting through holes or base plate area?
Spot on .
I totally agree.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts