Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
If all roads were straight and flat and filled with traffic and traffic cops, I would agree with u. But there's a lot of other roads out there and I don't agree with u.
Are you going to drive in such a way on public roads that you overwhelm a GTS but won't overwhelm a GT4? Do you know how hard you have to beat on a GTS in the corners to get it to lose its composure? I do and let me tell you it's not something I would want to do outside of the confines of a race track.

I mean, look... if you told me "You know, I just want a GT4 because its cooler and a more special car", there is no shame in that. But for someone to tell me they need a GT4 because the GTS's capabilities are insufficient for the way they drive back roads, I would be inclined not to believe them.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
GT4 can't be bought unless you're willing to pay well over MSRP and know someone who knows someone. GTS can't be bought anymore either, but it was possible when it came out.

Otherwise, I wouldn't want a GT4 because its manual only. I personally think PDK is superior to a 6 speed and as much as I like the idea of a stick shift 'un-adulterated driving,' the real actual experience of doing is simply cumbersome...lack of clutch peddle and using paddles shifters works better, faster, and easier. Of course, I never grew up driving manuals and not 30 yet, so your experience may vary.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Great to read this thread. I dont have any worries. I am so exhilarated that Porsche Korea sells neither GT4 nor Spyder. LOL.

We are so deprived of options. INVU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
purely for a daily driving purpose with very rare to no track events,would there be anyone who would pick a GTS over a gt4?

Given the parameters of your question, I wouldn't buy either car. I'd buy a base Cayman and save $30K or better yet a Miata and save $50K. Of course this is the purely objective answer, and buying sports cars is probably 20% rational and 80% emotional. So each buyer has to put a weight on emotional factors which will vary by buyer. For example I couldn't care less what others think about the car I own, but others may place a high value on that factor.

As far as the GT4 is concerned I'd be at my local Porsche dealer in a few minutes with check in hand, if I got a call from the sales manager that he has a GT4 that he would be willing to sell me at MSRP. This would be the least expensive car that I ever owned, since I expect that I would be able to sell it in three years for very close to what I paid for it.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
GT4 can't be bought unless you're willing to pay well over MSRP and know someone who knows someone. GTS can't be bought anymore either, but it was possible when it came out.

Otherwise, I wouldn't want a GT4 because its manual only. I personally think PDK is superior to a 6 speed and as much as I like the idea of a stick shift 'un-adulterated driving,' the real actual experience of doing is simply cumbersome...lack of clutch peddle and using paddles shifters works better, faster, and easier. Of course, I never grew up driving manuals and not 30 yet, so your experience may vary.
That's interesting because I never learned to use or enjoy automatics. I like telling my car when to shift because I can see when I'm am going to soon need engine braking or the need to hit it hard to go around somebody. No transmission shifting computer can see those things. Also the pitch of the exhaust with my PSE tells me in no uncertain terms what my speed is because I know what gear I chose. So I have only one speeding ticket in my many years of driving and that was 25 years ago, b4 good radar detectors and Waze. And I can assure u I like too hot it hard every time I enjoy my Porsche - I ain't holding up traffic. Any automatic, including PDK, just keeps on shifting, shifting, shifting. Automatics cost more, maintenance is higher, and they detract from my driving pleasure. ...JMHO.

·
Registered
851 Posts
That's interesting because I never learned to use or enjoy automatics. I like telling my car when to shift because I can see when I'm am going to soon need engine braking or the need to hit it hard to go around somebody. No transmission shifting computer can see those things.
You get exactly the same capability with a PDK. That's what its manual mode is for.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I like telling my car when to shift because I can see when I'm am going to soon need engine braking or the need to hit it hard to go around somebody. No transmission shifting computer can see those things.
But a PDK in manual mode will do that.
Its lets you control the shifts (except it will downshift if you would stall)
And it is clutch connected like a manual, not torque (slush!) convertor like older automatics.

A PDK is not a manual, but it can be used in a way that is very similar. Saying "I want to be in control of the gear" is no longer an excuse against PDK.
(says the guy who is buying a Spyder and so its a manual)

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm not sure how successful I'm going to be at explaining this, but let's give it a go...

Human beings, when presented with options that include "doing nothing", will inevitably end up choosing that option unless doing so causes them some sort of hardship.

Yes, you can jump into your PDK-equipped car at any time and shift in an engaging and purposeful way. And yes, you can do it faster than any non-PDK equipped vehicle. But a lot of times, frankly, you don't. You just get in the car, point it in the direction you want to go and let it do the thinking for you.

With an MT car, you don't have that option. If you don't feel like thinking about what gear you should be in, then you're not going anywhere. And for some of us, this is actually perceived as a benefit.

Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yes, you can jump into your PDK-equipped car at any time and shift in an engaging and purposeful way. And yes, you can do it faster than any non-PDK equipped vehicle. But a lot of times, frankly, you don't. You just get in the car, point it in the direction you want to go and let it do the thinking for you.
How do you know what I do? I don't do that. I hate the car changing gear of its own accord, it offends me. Changing gear of its own accord is a sign that I put the gear lever in the wrong place, so I can nudge it back to the right place.

There are two circumstances where I do put it in auto. If I'm cruising on the freeway, or when I'm competing. On the freeway, it'll use auto-coast and is considerably more fuel efficient. Its annoying that its more efficient than I am. When I'm competing at autocross and absolutely want to go as fast as I possibly can, then it can do a better job than I can (which is annoying in itself). For ordinary performance, non competitive, driving (like on track) I'll be using the paddles. The wife will use auto-mode on track, otherwise she's too busy to remember to change gear (one of her fastest laps of Thunderhill in a MINI was entirely in fifth, I've no idea how that's possible).

An automatic gearbox is a mechanism for automatically being in the wrong gear, I avoid them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm not sure how successful I'm going to be at explaining this, but let's give it a go...

Human beings, when presented with options that include "doing nothing", will inevitably end up choosing that option unless doing so causes them some sort of hardship.

Hope that made sense.
No it doesnt make much sense.

Are you saying you recognise that this "do nothing" exists and you actively pick an option to avoid allowing yourself from being lazy?
Hmm - would love to hear your opinion on the Spyder manual roof vs the normal auto-roof, maybe that a bonus as it stops you getting lazy!
Or maybe get rid of the starter motor!

It does feel like a very convoluted argument.
Its not about what you get, its about what you dont want but could avoid easily.
Or is it about image - you dont want to be seen driving something anyone could drive?

·
Registered
513 Posts
In my constant pursuit of the next automotive high, I have pondered a move to the GT4 from my CS (as well as a move to a used Gallardo). I don't track my cars and I don't commute with them. For me it's all about pure driving pleasure. I ask myself, is there a car out there that will bring me more grins per mile than my current CS driving around the roads that I currently drive on?
I think the answer to that question for the GT4 has to be yes. It simply offers more of what is already good about a 981, better sound, power, better stance, better shift action, more aggressive looks. The negatives are few, poorer clearance and I am not a fan of alacantra or the rear spoiler and side scoops.
So I think that if you're looking for a car that will just bring you more fun and enjoyment as a road car, the GT4 trumps a GTS, unless you are partial to PDK.

·
Registered
845 Posts
No it doesnt make much sense.

Are you saying you recognise that this "do nothing" exists and you actively pick an option to avoid allowing yourself from being lazy?
Okay, since obviously I failed at my explanation I'll try getting someone else to do it. Here is a blog about the top 5 reasons to drive stick:

Top 5 Reasons to Choose a Stick Shift | Esurance Blog

I was trying to explain #4:

"4. Stick shifts give you a sense of accomplishment. The main question I hear from people about manuals is usually “Is it hard to drive a stick?” Well, in the immortal words of the great Jimmy Dugan: “It’s the hard that makes it great.”"

If that doesn't make sense to you, then you just don't fall into that camp. No biggie. Some holdouts (like myself) prefer it for the reasons listed on the blog, others think those are possibly stupid, and dated, arguments. Chalk it up to familiarity and call it a day. :cheers:

Now excuse me while I rip out my starter motor and park my car on a hill. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
....I could care less about PDK not being available on the GT4. I like to choose my own gear and could care less about 2 seconds a lap difference on the track for the PDK. On the street, I'm convinced that choosing my own gear helps me avoid speeding tickets...
Just for the records - you can choose your own gear with PDK. It's called manual mode.
The only thing PDK does for you is engaging the clutch as soon as YOU choose to switch gears.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I guess I never thought of manual as hard or that much of a skill.
Only ever owned manuals, but many of those have been sequential gearboxes.
Have driven, but not owned, pre-synchro cars. That is a little bit more skill, but one you quickly learn.
Similarly rev matching takes a bit of practice.
It gets a bit more interesting if you switch from right hand drive to left hand drive. Or on bikes from standard to race gear lever. But that takes a few minutes to adjust.
But normal clutch and gear operation is something that happens on auto pilot. Maybe others find it a bit more challenging, but the "it's the hard that makes it great" wore off decades ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Beauty they say is in the eye of the beholder!. I have driven a cs for 9 years.I drove the GTS and although consider it a great car, the GT4 ( which I now own) just fired the imagination.
Forget about the few impracticalities.The car is absolutely brilliant! The GTS just wasnt enough of an upgrade from my great CS.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I traded an 08 CS for a Cayman R.....actually found that as a DD, I preferred the CS. I am now on my 4th Cayman. Interestingly, it is a 2016 Cayman 2.7L. Through lots of miles and lots of driving Caymans as a DD......I found that the 2.7L with PDK, 19" wheels, X73, 14 Way, Premium, PDLS, CDR+, and a few other options is about perfect for me. My input is, know thyself, really.........I went through the 'clearly more hp is better' phase, 'having the baddest version is best' etc.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I just bought a 2016 GT4 which I will pickup in a few days. I traded my 09 Boxster S for it. Originally I was going to modify my Boxster with an exhaust et al. I was at a dealer and spotted a few GT4s. I text drove one and shortly thereafter I traded in my car. I can't wait to get my new car on the road.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts