Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all seen the marketing by now on Porsche's GT4. Their new catchy phrase is "Rebels, race on." It doesn't resonate with me.

I always wonder what they are trying to get at with this pithy sayings.
My thoughts:

They are marketing to folks who are bucking the 911 trend, swapping their 3.4L engines for a 3.8L, racing a car that just can't quite keep up with the 911 and complaining about an underpowered detuned 911 engine?

What do you guys think it means?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
"Rebel" is Porsche marketing speak for people who don't give a damn, and buy a Cayman when all their peers turn-up their nose at any sports car from Porsche that doesn't have a 911 badge.

Being a maverick my entire life, these dog-whistle buzz words cut straight to my core ;) I'm the guy who actually wants the slowest car on track, so when I pass it's because I'm driving harder then anyone else in my group. (Maybe I need to get a cartoon Under Dog sticker for my helmet?)

My Cayman is a daily driver, but my last track day was in a Ferrari 430, racing against a GTR and Ferrari 458, I was down at least 70hp to these guys.... so it felt even sweeter when I passed both of them.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I believe the motto is tied directly to what Porsche said the meaning of the car always was, a means for allowing private teams to enter racing without spending $600K, or whatever the price of a 911RSR is. I assume the GT4RSR will be far cheaper. It is very important for them to get those private teams to buy their race cars again, particularly until the 911RSR successor is launched. It has nothing to do with sibling rivalry. It got everything to do with racing. That is what I believe, particularly since this is targeted toward the GT car meant for the track.

In other words, go back and do some racing. Don't go to the other car brands. Dont race a 350RSR, etc;

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I thought it was just epic. I loved all the Nordschleife type graffiti.

Reactions: bgotro

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
It's their lowest selling model line and therefore the rebel of the models. And now they've made a model that's suited for the track. My thoughts.

·
Registered
966 Posts
My guess is a lot simpler: Porsche is trying to lure younger sports car buyers to the brand.

As much as it hurts my ego, I must admit that I'm probably a lot more like the stuffy old people in the commercial than the guy who's putting graffiti on his garage. My bet is that this goes for most of Porsche's customers. (And before you deny it, remember that a lot of you guys posted pictures of your garages! :taunt:)

When I think about the real defining images of Porsches that formed my attraction to the brand, it's the old, dangerous cars: James Dean's Little Bastard, the early treacherous 911 Turbos, that poster of a 911 cresting a hill, all four wheels in the air. There is always something rebellious about sports cars, and those cars typify that rebelliousness. But those are *not* the cars Porsche makes today. Today's 911 Turbo is almost the exact opposite of that.

I see that GT4 ad as trying to resurrect a little bit of that old-school sports car appeal. In fact, it reminds me a lot of one of the early S2000 reviews that described it as a car that was "created for the singular purpose of socially irresponsible driving" (or something like that), and for me it really nailed the appeal of that car. I think the GT4 ad is trying to get at exactly this part of the sports car appeal. They are trying to reach the guys who would have lusted for a 911 Turbo in the 1980's, but who see today's Porsche as car a for rich old guys. Those guys will now walk into a dealership lusting after the GT4 and maybe drive off in a 981S.
:2cents:

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
My guess is a lot simpler: Porsche is trying to lure younger sports car buyers to the brand.

As much as it hurts my ego, I must admit that I'm probably a lot more like the stuffy old people in the commercial than the guy who's putting graffiti on his garage. My bet is that this goes for most of Porsche's customers. (And before you deny it, remember that a lot of you guys posted pictures of your garages! :taunt:)
I haven't posted pictures of my garage yet :taunt:

But I agree with your assessment and it seems to be working. There are a lot of people on the car sites that are drooling. I guess many of them are too young to drive or to afford an $80k to $110k car. But they may get a used 987 and then later get another and another....

·
Registered
134 Posts
"Rebel" is Porsche marketing speak for people who don't give a damn, and buy a Cayman when all their peers turn-up their nose at any sports car from Porsche that doesn't have a 911 badge.

Being a maverick my entire life, these dog-whistle buzz words cut straight to my core ;) I'm the guy who actually wants the slowest car on track, so when I pass it's because I'm driving harder then anyone else in my group. (Maybe I need to get a cartoon Under Dog sticker for my helmet?)

My Cayman is a daily driver, but my last track day was in a Ferrari 430, racing against a GTR and Ferrari 458, I was down at least 70hp to these guys.... so it felt even sweeter when I passed both of them.

Love this. Agree 1000%

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
This is something I think the Cayman has done in general. When they were announced (in my early 20s) I went to check the Cayman out. The lack of an LSD option immediately killed my interest, but I kept saying if they did that and quit neutering their mid-engine cars I'd consider it in the future when I could afford one.

911s have 50 years of history. Decades of people having it on their bedroom wall, and wanting one for decades -- in which they may refuse to resort to something else. I never did. It never appealed to me. In the 80s I had a Testarossa on my wall (and proved to be a case of "don't meet your heroes"). The Boxster Spyder is what got me to consider their cars finally. I just wanted the best driver's car I could justify, whatever it was, and whoever made it. It also got some bonus points for being a bit ridiculous.

It's foolish for Porsche to rely on the 911 forever. They've known this. The mid-engine cars will continue to broaden their appeal over time, and possibly get more trims, special editions, etc. as their sales volume slowly increases and the SUVs/crossovers/sedans provide capital for such fun and neat projects. King 911 will likely always reign, but the mid-engine cars will continue to slowly close the gap in the odd event that they ever have to rule the kingdom.

I see that GT4 ad as trying to resurrect a little bit of that old-school sports car appeal.
That's one thing the GTS doesn't do for me, and I knew that before I even took delivery.

Years ago I had a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR until someone lost control in their SUV and crushed me between their SUV and a guardrail. The Evo wasn't very comfortable (although I didn't find it terrible), but I could deal with it. It had a personality I've not experienced in any car since. It wasn't just raw and angry, it was absolutely frenetic. So intense was doing nearly anything it was like riding atop of Jean-Claude Van Damme's shoulders throughout the entire movie "Kickboxer". Cars like that basically don't exist any more (Evo X is far, far softer), and haven't for years, and it's why those incredibly angry Mitsubishis still command a fairly high resale price for what they are. When I have a place for a 2nd (and possibly 3rd car), I may hunt for an unmolested VIII or IX MR so I can have one again.

My GTS, despite the sport suspension, is unquestionably the easiest vehicle to live with I've ever owned by a ridiculous margin. Letting people drive it, they are staggered that a car on super-stiff springs with 20" wheels and 35-profile tires rides so much better than anything they've owned, including luxury cars intended to simply be comfortable, not sporting. That it's pretty quiet until you wind it up. That the interior is a tremendously high-quality and a very relaxing place to be when it's driven like a normal human being. Though for me, it would be better if it were worse.

Giant spoiler that makes everything seem like its riding my ***, and blocks out the light bar of police cars? Check. Other aero BECAUSE RACECAR? Check. Ridiculous bucket seats that makes ingress/egress a bit comical, even for someone shorter and as slender as I? Check. MOAR NOISE? Check. Stiffer, more immediate? Check. More torque for a bit more explosive power delivery? Check. There. Makes everyone else think I'm ridiculous? Check. Checks all my boxes. Gimme!

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I guess been a bit of a Porschephile and having some knowledge about iconic Porsche's helps a bit:

From the official Porsche YouTube account:

Porsche said:
The new Cayman GT4 is the long-awaited step beyond the boundary. The step over to the other side of the frontier – onto the racetrack. It’s our tribute to all the motorsport enthusiasts and performance motivators. To all those who really do mean business. To all the victories of tomorrow, to all the personal bests still to be achieved.
In the promo video there are references to iconic Mid Engine Porsche cars and other related references in the graffiti:

- Garage door across from the fellow picking up the newspaper: 956 (Reference to the legendary Porsche 956) and a reference to the Ring laptime of 6:11

- Garage door in front of the older lady walking the dog: 918 (Reference to the 918 Spyder) and a reference to the Ring laptime of 6:57

- Underground garage spot with the couple walking to their car: RS60 (Reference to 718 RS60) as well as a crown in Red and White (not sure if it is a reference to Hans Herrmann who won the 1st Le Mans Victory for Porsche in a 917 in 1970).

GT4_graffiti1.jpg GT4_graffiti2.jpg GT4_graffiti3.jpg

The GT4 micro-site has a set of games at the very beginning to be able to progress through the presentation, that probably set's the tone for the entire catchphrase: Rebel's, race On (the first association game between 3 drivers and 3 legendary mid-engined Porsche's set's the tone)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
This "Rebel" thing didn't start with the GT4... Here's the first page from my 2009 dealer brochure for the 987.2

"Do you go your own way? Do you stop to question the rules? Would you rather trust your own mind than go with the pack?"
"The new Cayman and Cayman S, an uncompromising declaration of individuality"

I read that as- "Do you have the confidence to forgo the 911's iconic status, for a mid-engine go-cart's handling and feel?"

First time I've ever given a nod and a wink to the marketing department for doing their homework and actually speaking to a guy like me. LOL... it doesn't happen very often.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My GTS, despite the sport suspension, is unquestionably the easiest vehicle to live with I've ever owned by a ridiculous margin. Letting people drive it, they are staggered that a car on super-stiff springs with 20" wheels and 35-profile tires rides so much better than anything they've owned, including luxury cars intended to simply be comfortable, not sporting. That it's pretty quiet until you wind it up. That the interior is a tremendously high-quality and a very relaxing place to be when it's driven like a normal human being.
This is exactly why I love my GTS (and of course the convertible thing and PDK) and have no reservations about the GT4. I am glad there are models that appeal to both ends of the spectrum and everyone can be satisfied. I would take the horsepower of the GT4 for my GTS if only to say that its there (I have not been in a situation yet where I felt I needed more so far) but that is all I can think of. The one thing that I do yearn for would be a BGB 991 GTS swap into an orange Boxster with sport suspension, headers and exhaust, but I would still get PDK.

·
Registered
69 Posts
First time I've ever given a nod and a wink to the marketing department for doing their homework and actually speaking to a guy like me. LOL... it doesn't happen very often.
Agreed. And despite some of the backlash here, I actually think it would be amazing to have ones garage done up to mirror whats in the release video. Call it what you will but I guarantee that any true lover of Porsche, young or old, would pull over and stop and take a picture if they drove by a house that had that iconography plastered all over. Im considering it. If you love it and this car resonates with you, why not go all in on this model?

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Nah, for them it means that instead of buying an SUV,( Read; Cayenne ,Macan) or Panamera, pickup or cross over you are being a "Rebel" by,actually" buying a sports-car. If you look at the latest sales figures, they sell more sedans and trucks than real sports-cars. The IRONY !

Cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nah, for them it means that instead of buying an SUV,( Read; Cayenne ,Macan) or Panamera, pickup or cross over you are being a "Rebel" by,actually" buying a sports-car. If you look at the latest sales figures, they sell more sedans and trucks than real sports-cars. The IRONY !

Cheers
Agreed! They're playing to the basic human psychology. There's a little "bad boy" or "bad girl" in each of us that wants to be a rebel but unfortunately, most of us become conformists (also a human trait). It's easier to be a rebel when you have the means and most Porsche buyers do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts