PORSCHE/BOXSTER S/2013-2014
PORSCHE/CAYMAN/2014-2015

Mfr's Report Date: September 1, 2021

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V-679

Components:
POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY

Potential Number of Units Affected: 4,934

Problem Description:
Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (Porsche) is recalling certain 2013-2015 Boxster, 2013-2014 Boxster S, 2014-2015 Cayman, Cayman S, 2015 Boxster GTS, and Cayman GTS vehicles. The rear-axle carrier side sections may fracture.

Consequence:
A carrier fracture may cause a loss of control, increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy:
Dealers will replace the rear-axle carrier side sections, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed November 1, 2021. Owners may contact Porsche customer service at 1-800-767-7243. Porsche's number for this recall is AMB7.

Notes:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
I ran my vin today on the Porsche site and it came back negative (well, no results for open recall).

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
No one is reporting getting a hit on the Porsche site yet, so I think its just too soon for it to be there. They just recently sent the letters to the dealers regarding the issue, and Porsche isnt going to start sending notices to those affected by the issue until November

The long released WKJ3 TSB for the tank leakage diagnosis module is for all 2013-2016 981 Caymans and Boxster's in the US, nearly 20,000 cars, yet the Porsche site shows nothing open for my car despite the dealer saying yes. I'm not sure I trust the Porsche site for accuracy at all. Strange as one would expect that to be the best source for info

·
Registered
34,380 Posts
Are you sure that site is up to date? The notices I have read said they have to make a visual inspection to determine if it applies.

·
Registered
256 Posts
No one is reporting getting a hit on the Porsche site yet, so I think its just too soon for it to be there. They just recently sent the letters to the dealers regarding the issue, and Porsche isnt going to start sending notices to those affected by the issue until November

The long released WKJ3 TSB for the tank leakage diagnosis module is for all 2013-2016 981 Caymans and Boxster's in the US, nearly 20,000 cars, yet the Porsche site shows nothing open for my car despite the dealer saying yes. I'm not sure I trust the Porsche site for accuracy at all. Strange as one would expect that to be the best source for info
Thanks. Good to know. I’m an hour from a dealership so it’s a bit of a PITA to get my car in. I suppose I should call and ask and perhaps make an appointment.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I called PCNA and they said I wasn't on the recall list. I asked whether this recall would show since it's new and they said that it would. I'm not certain they really knew. The website doesn't even list my car as subject to the gas tank valve recall, which it is. Thus, I have no faith that I'm NOT subject to the recall. Sigh.

Reactions: ICNU

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have a 2015 Boxster S but that is not listed on the recall?? just the 2013-14 Boxster S. They must have changed something in 2015
Well, and the 2016 Cayman is also not listed. I wasn’t aware of any changes between the 2015 and 2016 GTSs (for instance).

I guess we’ll see…

EDIT: The text is difficult to decipher, but this is what it says:

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (Porsche) is recalling certain 2013-2015 Boxster, 2013-2014 Boxster S, 2014-2015 Cayman, Cayman S, 2015 Boxster GTS, and Cayman GTS vehicles. The rear-axle carrier side sections may fracture.

Does this mean all Cayman GTS models or just MY2015 ones? Why wouldn’t 2016 Boxster GTS models be included. A bit difficult to figure out exactly what this is saying.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Thanks. Good to know. I’m an hour from a dealership so it’s a bit of a PITA to get my car in. I suppose I should call and ask and perhaps make an appointment.
Yeah, I will likely do the same and get them to do the tank leakage TSB while there. I'm wondering who is going to be responsible for the cost of an alignment if required after this? That's $300 at my dealer, and mine was just aligned not even a year ago.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Well, and the 2016 Cayman is also not listed. I wasn’t aware of any changes between the 2015 and 2016 GTSs (for instance).

I guess we’ll see…

EDIT: The text is difficult to decipher, but this is what it says:

Does this mean all Cayman GTS models or just MY2015 ones? Why wouldn’t 2016 Boxster GTS models be included. A bit difficult to figure out exactly what this is saying.
And if you look at the additional document up on post #7, they have it broken down even further based on the build dates ranges which can be found on the drivers door jamb decal. I'm assuming your 2016 isnt on the list because its outside the build times when these supposed flawed parts were in circulation, but that is just a guess? Its possible the parts used on your car came from a different lot not known to have the issue by that time. My 2014 was built in May 2013, so I'm definitely on the list based on that document

1 - 20 of 56 Posts