Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has heard anything recent (for or against) regarding the chance for a lighter/sportier Cayman version before the next redesign?

Thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just checked the configurator and found out that the Spyder wheels are now available but not solely. One of these packages have to be added: (Literature currently only in German so I made a translation using Google)

Ausstattungspakete - Home - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Design Package
P41 £1529
P43 (with Sports exhaust system) £1529

19-inch Boxster Spyder Wheel, Wheels painted in black
• twin tailpipes blackened
• mirrors painted in black
• Air intakes in rear side panel painted in black
• Model logo painted in black
• under air vents panel in Black
• Panel trim plate painted in black
• trim plate switching or selector lever finished in black

Design Sport Package
P45 £3471
P47 (with Sports exhaust system) £3471

19-inch Boxster Spyder Wheel, Wheels painted in black
• twin tailpipes blackened
• mirrors painted in black
• Air intakes in rear side panel painted in black
• Model logo painted in black
• under air vents panel in Black
• Panel trim plate painted in black
• trim plate switching or selector lever finished in black
• Cayman Aerokit with newly designed spoiler lips in the bow and a fixed rear spoiler

Anyway, the above confirms to me that it's now pretty obvious that Porsche will never introduce a 3rd variant Cayman. You see, the main difference between the std Boxster and the Boxster Spyder is the roof (much lighter). What can Porsche do with the roof of the Cayman? Nothing. The Spyder engine is exactly the same as the Cayman S. What can Porsche do with the CS engine without harming the base 911? Again nothing.

Clubsport? In a word, no. Unlike the GT3, the Cayman is not FIA-homologated so it would be silly of Porsche to offer a clubsport package on a non-homologated car. On the other hand, if Porsche decide to introduce an FIA-homologated Cayman (I ever doubt it) that would be a different story.

By the way, the new Turbo wheels are now also available and as well as the Panamera purple paint as a special colour.

·
Registered
212 Posts
"Anyway, the above confirms to me that it's now pretty obvious that Porsche will never introduce a 3rd variant Cayman. You see, the main difference between the std Boxster and the Boxster Spyder is the roof (much lighter). What can Porsche do with the roof of the Cayman? Nothing. The Spyder engine is exactly the same as the Cayman S. What can Porsche do with the CS engine without harming the base 911? Again nothing."

While I agree with you about very low probability of Cayman Spyder introduction by Volkswagen there are several places where similar light weight treatment could be implemented:

1) Door panels (aluminium)
2) Seats ("GT2 seats")
3) Rear Hatch (plexiglass + aluminium)
4) Fixed spoiler = get rid of heavy spoiler moving motors
5) Wheels
6) Battery

On engine side Porsche could easily implement similar nominal 5hp-8hp "power increase" as in e.g. Boxster RS60 without damaging too much the sanctioned nominal 0-60 difference between 987 and 997.

Also LSD and new sport suspension and steering as standard would help the to create a minor performance improvement.

And on visual side of course some more drama would be needed. E.g. some GT3 style spoiler.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
If anything does come out I think the soonest you'd see it would be the LA Auto show in November and the car not available until a year from now. However, at least a year before the Boxster Spyder we were seeing spy photos of a covered Boxster. I haven't seen any spy photos of the Cayman lately, has anyone else?

I do know that Porsche knows that customers and potential customers do want the car to be built, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Porsche will build it. :)

BTW Grant what happened to your avatar picture???

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
How about this:

Cayman RS- 911S engine- $90,000
Cayman RSR- GT3 engine- $105,000
Cayman Turbo- Detuned 911TT engine- $125,000

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
How about this:

I can see the Cayman RS with the 3.8L a realistic option.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
FWIW, I remember reading in one review of the Spyder that Porsche would introduce a Cayman Sport at a later date. That may or may not come true.

·
Registered
625 Posts
How about this:

I think this is a realistic price list. When it does happen, I think this is the way it would go!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Well, I am still hoping... if not, building one myself would not be that tough. For example, could we buy the doors at a junkyard from crashed Spyder?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well, I am still hoping... if not, building one myself would not be that tough. For example, could we buy the doors at a junkyard from crashed Spyder?
We don't crash Spyders! ;)

Anyway, GT3 RS doors would actually work equally well. And those babies get crashed every now and then...

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think this is a realistic price list. When it does happen, I think this is the way it would go!
I think those prices are too high...

·
Registered
165 Posts
My top secret sources at PCNA said NO Cayman S "Spyder version". So I'm making my own! 1st doing the Spyder wheels, sport exhaust, full aero package, black tail pipes, rear apron grill, then all black interior paint,with spyder door pulls!

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Wow! When can you even source the Spyder wheels right now? Can't wait to see this car.

My top secret sources at PCNA said NO Cayman S "Spyder version". So I'm making my own! 1st doing the Spyder wheels, sport exhaust, full aero package, black tail pipes, rear apron grill, then all black interior paint,with spyder door pulls!

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
and there was I thinking we were about to get a Cayman with two humps........... aka the 'Caymel' :hilarious:

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
and there was I thinking we were about to get a Cayman with two humps........... aka the 'Caymel' :hilarious:
yo Nick, we call it the dubble-bubble .... :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

aside of that, does anybody know what the Spyder wheels weigh? My feeling is that you can save weight awnd money with say OZ Ultras or Allegrittas or the Forgestar on sale here. Get some lightweight seats and some PCCBs that some body else took off a GT3 for tracking. You could propably save close to 100lbs. Add a lightweight battery and save another 20lbs or so.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts