Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 981 Cayman base, X73, stock 18" wheels. I ran 6 days at Laguna Seca on Goodyear F1s that came with the car, it was all right.
Next year I want to double the track days and keep progressing. Looking at plates or LCA to get more camber. Possibly brakes upgrade.

I am struggling to figure out what to do with tires, as there are not a lot of options in OEM 18" size.

For 18 I see: F1, S04, RE71R, PZ4.
For 19 there's of course the MPS4S and Conti ES

So I think I have a few options:
1. Keep 18", use S04.
Most cost effective overall.

2. Buy 19" APEX/OZ wheels with MPS4S or similar
Curious whether the difference in newer tires is worth the price of wheel upgrade?

3. Change from OEM size to get MPS4S.
This might have issues with already 20mm lowered car

I don't have neither a trailer nor storage for dedicated track tire/wheels so I have to drive on something to the track :)

Want to hear people's thoughts. Thank you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have 2 sets of 19" Porsche wheels. My everyday tires are 40 aspect ratio MPS4S. I am planning on putting 35 series (235 and 265, I think I can go to 245/275 but I don't think I will) Firestone Indy 500 for track tires. A little cheaper and will lower the car about 1/2 inch. My car has PASM, so 10mm lower than standard and about 1.6 degrees negative camber front and rear.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I suggest RE 71s with an 18 or 19 inch wheel.

The price is reasonable. They are decent in the rain. They are a definite step up for track use from any other summer dual purpose performance tire I have used.

I used RE 71s on an 18" wheel in '19, but in '20 moved to larger 18 " Nitto NT-O1s, which are not in any sense dual purpose but were much faster. That was the only reason for the change, and since I trailer my car I did not have to worry about bad weather to and from the track.

My RE 71s have lots of life left and are available for $300 plus shipping, but please understand that I don't recommend them just because I have a set available.

Incidentally, I also have x73 on my '14 Boxster S. With the performance alignment (check other posts for details) my car is superb on track with no plates or upgraded LCAs. Wear on track and street is very good. I have looked hard at plates or upgraded LCAs. Coming from years of road racing I am serious about "getting it right," but would not change a thing on mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I suggest RE 71s with an 18 or 19 inch wheel.

The price is reasonable. They are decent in the rain. They are a definite step up for track use from any other summer dual purpose performance tire I have used.

I used RE 71s on an 18" wheel in '19, but in '20 moved to larger 18 " Nitto NT-O1s, which are not in any sense dual purpose but were much faster. That was the only reason for the change, and since I trailer my car I did not have to worry about bad weather to and from the track.

My RE 71s have lots of life left and are available for $300 plus shipping, but please understand that I don't recommend them just because I have a set available.

Incidentally, I also have x73 on my '14 Boxster S. With the performance alignment (check other posts for details) my car is superb on track with no plates or upgraded LCAs. Wear on track and street is very good. I have looked hard at plates or upgraded LCAs. Coming from years of road racing I am serious about "getting it right," but would not change a thing on mine.
With RE71 my only concern would be if they're an overkill for beginner-intermediate driver. Road noise less so

I am really curious about your alignment. I thought (was told so) that without additional hardware that give more negative camber the tires will be worn on the outside too much. Can you share your spec?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Check out the current issue of the Grassroots Motorsports. They have a comparison of the RE-71 with the latest tires from Goodyear and Michelin. Both the Goodyear and Michelin were quicker. A challenge with the RE-71 is that they are an excellent autocross tire but on the track heat buildup can be a problem. If most of your driving is on the street I would stick with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I had over 20K miles on a set on my 2011 Boxster that were used for both autocross and the street. They are not as quick as the RE-71s at autocross but you will not be embarrassed, plus you will not be replacing tires as often.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
330 Posts
Check out the current issue of the Grassroots Motorsports. They have a comparison of the RE-71 with the latest tires from Goodyear and Michelin. Both the Goodyear and Michelin were quicker. A challenge with the RE-71 is that they are an excellent autocross tire but on the track heat buildup can be a problem. If most of your driving is on the street I would stick with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I had over 20K miles on a set on my 2011 Boxster that were used for both autocross and the street. They are not as quick as the RE-71s at autocross but you will not be embarrassed, plus you will not be replacing tires as often.
I thought that test was the apex-601’s, mps4’s and re-71’s?
I’m interested in the new Yokohama 601’s... some other tests on the 601 they said as good as the mps4s’zzzz in the dry but not quite as good in the wet...

The car 08 Cayman S: sizes- I like 245-35-19/275-35-19 and for track 245-40-18/275-40-18.... 18’s ride so much better too...
my wheels- 18x8 +46 and 18x10 +31
19x8.5 +47 and 19x11 +46
I also have a 997, so I’ve been able to interchange wheels and sizes and see what really fits

·
Registered
211 Posts
I run -1.75 camber in front and -2.25 in the rear. This is near neutral handling--slight understeer-- optimal for a variety of cornering speeds and corner shapes.

My toe is set at 0.0 front and 10-12 minutes in the rear.

I do not read Grassroots Motorsports and cannot comment. I know that for my Boxster in a DE-type event and based on two different weekends at two different tracks in the summer of '19, the RE 71 was far superior to the MPS4s. No question for me.

Search "RE 71" on this site.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I run -1.75 camber in front and -2.25 in the rear. This is near neutral handling--slight understeer-- optimal for a variety of cornering speeds and corner shapes.

My toe is set at 0.0 front and 10-12 minutes in the rear.

I do not read Grassroots Motorsports and cannot comment. I know that for my Boxster in a DE-type event and based on two different weekends at two different tracks in the summer of '19, the RE 71 was far superior to the MPS4s. No question for me.

Search "RE 71" on this site.
I must add that I trail brake for rotation, depending on the corner. That purposefully induces controlled oversteer. But I like very much how the above setting returns to "slight understeering "when I am not intentionally inducing rotation by trail braking. That is what is important for this exchange.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I thought that test was the apex-601’s, mps4’s and re-71’s?
I’m interested in the new Yokohama 601’s... some other tests on the 601 they said as good as the mps4s’zzzz in the dry but not quite as good in the wet...

The car 08 Cayman S: sizes- I like 245-35-19/275-35-19 and for track 245-40-18/275-40-18.... 18’s ride so much better too...
my wheels- 18x8 +46 and 18x10 +31
19x8.5 +47 and 19x11 +46
I also have a 997, so I’ve been able to interchange wheels and sizes and see what really fits
The December 2020 issue of Grassroots Motorsports compares the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 and the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect (240) to the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R. Both the Goodyear and Michelin tires were 1.5 to 2.0 seconds quicker on a 1:20 second course. Based upon my experience with an earlier version of the Sport Cup 2 it is likely that one will get more miles out of them than the Bridgestone tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oh this is interesting! Two different performance shops could only get to -1.4 on the front for me. How did you get to -1.75?

·
Registered
330 Posts
The December 2020 issue of Grassroots Motorsports compares the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 and the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect (240) to the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R. Both the Goodyear and Michelin tires were 1.5 to 2.0 seconds quicker on a 1:20 second course. Based upon my experience with an earlier version of the Sport Cup 2 it is likely that one will get more miles out of them than the Bridgestone tires.
Your right... the test I was talking about was on rennlist last week.. some guy with a blue cayman was testing 3 tires

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would fully expect that the Sport Cup 2 would be faster than the RE 71. As much as I like the NITTOs, when they wear out I may try Sport Cup 2s on my spare 20 inch wheels. My subjective observation of other cars is that on faster tracks like Road America or BIR, that tire on a 20" wheel is potent.

I don't know what technique was used for setting my front camber.

The other variable here is brake pad choice. A reasonably priced true race pad like a Hawk DTC 60 makes a big difference and is still streetable if you do not mind the occasional street-squeak.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I would fully expect that the Sport Cup 2 would be faster than the RE 71. As much as I like the NITTOs, when they wear out I may try Sport Cup 2s on my spare 20 inch wheels. My subjective observation of other cars is that on faster tracks like Road America or BIR, that tire on a 20" wheel is potent.

I don't know what technique was used for setting my front camber.

The other variable here is brake pad choice. A reasonably priced true race pad like a Hawk DTC 60 makes a big difference and is still streetable if you do not mind the occasional street-squeak.
BIR?.... you MN?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oh this is interesting! Two different performance shops could only get to -1.4 on the front for me. How did you get to -1.75?
Do you have x73 or other adjustable suspension which lowers the car? That is a factor in getting more negative camber.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I do have X73, but perhaps the 18" 45 tires are limited it then.
Tire diameter would play a role in this. My Nittos have an AR of 40. I probably sit a little lower than you. It is low but I have no issue with road use. That might help with the camber numbers. I can go as low as 35 and might in the future--"low" helps CG/ Polar moment, camber and load distortion---but I would be a little concerned about road and trailer clearance on an 18" wheel with an AR of 35. It is tempting....

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
633 Posts
I've run 245/275-40R18 in both Nitto NT-01 and Hankook RS4 using stock 987 18" rims on my 981 Boxster S. I have PASM, but I think the clearance should be fine with X73 as well.

RS4's would be a great starter tire. They have pretty good grip and they handle the heat better than MPS4S or PZeros. I've seen brand new of each of those delaminate after a single weekend with some of my fellow DE drivers.

The RS4s have slightly better grip the OEM F1, PZ or MPS4S, and wear like iron. I picked mine up on sale from tirerack for about $750/set. I'll probably get a 4-6 weekends out of them. You may get an entire season as a beginner.

The NT-01's run about $1150 a set. They have much better grip, but don't last as long. I get about 2 weekends out of them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I road raced for years with Nitto NT 01s on an E-Production MGB. Nittos would last a season of hard racing, which might be 16-20 race-hours.

I have two hard 3-day DE weekends on the set on my Porsche and the wear is very good. Looks easily like 2 more similar weekends of wear left.

My experience is that they tend to get faster as the tread wears---the benefit of less tread distortion outweighs the negative of increasing hardness of the rubber from repeated heat cycles-- but of course wet tracks become more precarious; not that they were ever good with this tire.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts