Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering replacing the black stitching with red on my steering wheel... wonder if anyone here has that on their Sport Design wheel and could post a pic? Rest of my car is black interior other than red seatbelts... can't decide if it would look good or cheesy...

thanks

·
Registered
798 Posts
I for one am for the contrast stitching and really think it would look great if the red matched the belts. I just think it might be easier said than done because the standard stitching seems like it's here to stay. If you pull it off it would be great to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking at having a pro do the stitch replace but I will do the steering wheel removal. But yeah. Still think it could be cool.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
It is your decision, but I think the stitching on the steering wheel would be too busy. I would first get stitching on the door and dash and steering column.

I did do an image search and found some 996 Sport Design Wheels and "bat wheels" with red stitching, but no current one.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Please see the Flickr account I created when selling my Boxster. Many pictures of the beautiful red stitching on the SD steering wheel. I paid big bucks for an aftermarket wheel with red stitching for my inbound 991TT. I personally think it looks really fantastic.

- Patrick

Reactions: rjpeaks and Mike R.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks!

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Guards Red car with black interior and red seatbelts? Yeah... I think red stitching will go in there just fine and look pretty good. :)

Reactions: tiger1964

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Please see the Flickr account I created when selling my Boxster. Many pictures of the beautiful red stitching on the SD steering wheel. I paid big bucks for an aftermarket wheel with red stitching for my inbound 991TT. I personally think it looks really fantastic.

- Patrick
Why did you go for an aftermarket one? I ordered mine in red stitches though the configurator.

To the OP, deviated stitching looks great on the interior regardless of your interior color. Why are you concerned? We have plenty of interior pictures for 981 & 991 on the forum showing how beautiful it looks.

Reactions: DFW

·
Registered
504 Posts
Why did you go for an aftermarket one? I ordered mine in red stitches though the configurator.
To be honest, I think the SD wheel with red stitching is a bit tame for a 911 Turbo. I wanted more of a Ferrari look. For a bit over twice the cost of JUST STITCHING from Porsche, I got red stitching, perforated leather grips, thicker rim with reshaped grips, flat bottom, carbon fiber top and bottom, carbon fiber spokes AND a red top stripe. I'll post pictures when it comes in. It's a pretty serious piece of equipment. For all that, it just didn't make sense to pay $1,025 just for deviated thread.

- Patrick

·
Registered
504 Posts
I am looking at having a pro do the stitch replace but I will do the steering wheel removal. But yeah. Still think it could be cool.
Steering wheel removal is super easy. The only real special tool you will need is a T55 TORX. Getting the spokes off is a whole different story but the airbag and wheel come out in a jiffy with just two tools.

- Patrick

Reactions: DFW

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes my concern is purely aesthetic... I think I am going to do it I am just figuring out now timing.

It seems like from watching 987 videos it is easy to release the airbag and then torx out the steering wheel. Does anyone know if there is any concern with leaving the battery disconnected for a week or so?

·
Registered
221 Posts

Here is a pic of my steering wheel with red deviating stitching. Let me know if that is OK or if you'd like me to take the picture in a different angle. Sebastian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh I hope they post here. My local guy has become unresponsive and I'm ready to drop my wheel for it... Maybe I will be their first client...

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'd like to have the notch at 12:00 o'clock changed to yellow leather. Anyone know how I would go about that?

Reactions: Mike R.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts