Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing the almost 9 year OEM battery with a AC Delco 94RAGM that was a perfect fit with 80AH vice 70. I registered it using my iCarsoft diagnostic tool. The tool wanted the AH and type which was easy, but the 11 digit P/N and some other 15 digit number requested weren’t on the ACDelco so I used the ones on the old Banner battery. I was wondering if that was a good thing to do.? Everything seems OK with starting and running, the auto start even started working.

· Administrator
2,238 Posts
Ummm... no. "Registration" is supposed to adjust the charging characteristics of the charging system to a new battery, and then as the battery ages the system adjusts it's charging characteristics to those of an aging battery. That's what it's supposed to do - does Porsche do this? Mixed results when asking service departments... some claim you'll have early battery failures if you don't reset the charging parameters by telling the car you got a new battery. Others claim it makes no difference. I have heard on some other make forums of batteries failing after a years use due to not resetting the charging parameters... so I guess some manufacturers DO have a reason to set this data.

· Registered
2014 Cayman S
266 Posts
Ummm... no. "Registration" is supposed to adjust the charging characteristics of the charging system to a new battery, and then as the battery ages the system adjusts it's charging characteristics to those of an aging battery. That's what it's supposed to do - does Porsche do this? Mixed results when asking service departments... some claim you'll have early battery failures if you don't reset the charging parameters by telling the car you got a new battery. Others claim it makes no difference. I have heard on some other make forums of batteries failing after a years use due to not resetting the charging parameters... so I guess some manufacturers DO have a reason to set this data.
I used my iCarsoft POR V2.0 to initialize my new Duracell AGM larger 92AH battery. I have heard some say it is not necessary but I feel it’s a good idea especially if changing to a larger 80AH or 92AH from the original 70AH to take advantage of the larger capacity battery.
Jim
Here is Porsches position on the battery initialization from their training manual:

Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Number

Reactions: ELCID86

· Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
960 Posts
2 Questions:

Aside from the iCarSoft, what other devices are capable of registering a new battery? My Autel MD802 doesn't support it.

My 70Ah AGM battery has been waning, and I need to replace it soon. I've been considering going to my local Porsche parts department and buying a Porsche-branded replacement and replacing it myself. Online searches indicate the price is maybe double what I've seen for aftermarket options, but if the battery lasts as long as the original (which for me is over 9 years), it might be worth the slight upcharge. Any recommendations otherwise?

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Interesting to hear what others have to say. My battery is starting to fade as well. I’m leaning towards Costco replacement as they told me it has a 36 month no questions asked return policy.

Shawn in VA (USA)

· Registered
2,489 Posts
Just yesterday I went with the Costco/Interstate H7 AGM for my 2008 Cayman. The first time for an AGM in this car. After the factory H6 size battery, I upgraded to the H7 primarily because quite a few of the size charts these battery sellers use indicate the H7. So I've been running that size in a wet cell until yesterday. The H7s went went right into the tray without having to modify it for size. I think the Costco price was about $185 which include turning in the old core ($15), plus taxes. Oh and no registering the battery back in the early years of these models.

· Registered
960 Posts
I've had relatively good luck with Walmart for automotive batteries. I've never had any issues with replacements and they're located everywhere. They actually have the 80Ah ACDelco AGM battery on sale right now and they'll deliver it to my house (which I thought was a bit strange - no where else I've seen will deliver automotive batteries).

· Registered
2,489 Posts
I've had relatively good luck with Walmart for automotive batteries. I've never had any issues with replacements and they're located everywhere. They actually have the 80Ah ACDelco AGM battery on sale right now and they'll deliver it to my house (which I thought was a bit strange - no where else I've seen will deliver automotive batteries).
My last 5-6 batteries before this most recent purchace came from Walmart. Not all were the H7 wet cell (about half predate the Cayman) but I've never had an issue with them other than turning up dead after about 4 years. No complaints and also recommend them along with Costco/Interstate. Price is right in both places.

427 Posts
Aside from the iCarSoft, what other devices are capable of registering a new battery? My Autel MD802 doesn't support it.
I believe the Foxwell NT530 can do this? I have a 987.2 so I don't need to, and I haven't looked... and I know the Foxwell is far less capable on the 981 series, but I think this is possible. I don't think you're near me in CT, otherwise I'd be happy to meet up and give it a try with mine.

On the other matter, I've had great luck with both Walmart and Costco over the years on various other cars... I can recommend both/either.

· Registered
2,489 Posts
The battery comparison video was good, however, it could have been 10 time more informative if the dude would slow down a little. Fast talking makes it difficult to get the most benefit.

· Registered
2,224 Posts
Yep, that is his style in all of his videos. Very informative, but like a lightning round Ted Talk trying to pack 30 minutes of info into 15 minutes or less. I use the slider a lot on his videos backing up to repeat things of interest to me

Moral of the story is what many of us already know and have been saying for years. There are only a handful of battery makers worldwide, and they make all the different brands, many times with nothing different than the sticker name on them. In many cases the lowest cost battery name is just as good if not better than the same or similar battery with another higher cost brand sticker on it.

· Administrator
2,238 Posts
A hint for fast-talking by Project Farm.. click on the gear symbol (Settings) in the YouTube viewer. There is an option for playback speed.. which using the magic of computers can playback video faster or slower without changing the tonal frequency of the audio. Project Farm works well at around 0.75.. at least for me. For really weird try 0.50..

427 Posts
Funny, I watch is videos at 1.5-1.75x speed... mostly because after the first test, where he goes into detail, the rest are just repeats of the test process, with different numbers. I do pause at the charts, where he summarizes the values, because I don't need to hear it and I'd rather see it. I do jump back occasionally, but I guess I'm a fast watcher! (I often watch "training" videos at 2x speed, so I will agree he is a fast talker, but it works for me I guess!)

I liked the video as well. I do wish he tested a Costco battery, but those are made by Interstate, which is the same manufacturer as the Everstart and others (Johnson Controls) so it should be similar, but as we saw, even within that manufacturer you can see some variance.

Side note: Funny, I would have thought East Penn would a larger supplier... I was actually visiting their facility in PA (I'm an engineer by day, helping them automate with robotics). They told me they make so many batteries every month... and production was running full tilt... yet they're not as popular as Johnson. Crazy!

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Funny, I watch is videos at 1.5-1.75x speed… I do pause at the charts, where he summarizes the values, because I don't need to hear it and I'd rather see it. I do jump back occasionally, but I guess I'm a fast watcher! (I often watch "training" videos at 2x speed, so I will agree he is a fast talker, but it works for me I guess!)
Same here. But I’m used to listening to all podcasts and YT at 1.25x or faster.

I liked the video as well. I do wish he tested a Costco battery, but those are made by Interstate, which is the same manufacturer as the Everstart and others (Johnson Controls) so it should be similar…
Yes. I’m going with Costco.

Shawn in VA (USA)

· Registered
960 Posts
Bought an ACDelco 80Ah 850CCA AGM battery that is currently on sale at Walmart.com for $150. Surprising, but Walmart will actually ship this thing, which most places won't do, and shipping was free. ACDelco wasn't included in the test above, but some reviews elsewhere indicated they make a pretty good product.

Borrowing a buddy's iCarSoft to do the registration.

Reactions: ELCID86
1 - 20 of 27 Posts