Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if i should be panicking much as over time since placing my final spec I've changed my mind on a few key parts of it.

Number 1 - is the colour, i went for Rhodium silver as the Boxster S that was in the showroom looked awesome. Since ordering my spec I've seen a white GTS in Dubai and it looked pretty special and the pictures of the Guards Red on here look cool too. Every picture i seem to see of the Rhodium Silver looks nowhere near as good…… is this just a camera thing????

Number 2 - The wheels, i went for the 20" Carrera S wheels in Satin Platinum but originally i wanted the Turbo Design wheels but i didn't think they'd go aswel with the silver car.

Number 3 - The seats, i went for the bucket seats but after I drove a Cayman GTS the other day that had the standard seats i came away thinking I've wasted money on the buckets.

Just wondering what people think, should i be as concerned as i am or is it still gona make me happy? If anyone has any pictures of that spec please show me as most the pictures i found on here of the Rhodium Silver GTS don't look as good.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The seats are a 10.
You picked a classic Porsche color that looks great in person.
I have th exact same wheels. Easy to clean and look great even when covered with brake dust.
Stop second guessing yourself and enjoy your custom factory car.

Just wondering if i should be panicking much as over time since placing my final spec I've changed my mind on a few key parts of it.

Number 1 - is the colour, i went for Rhodium silver as the Boxster S that was in the showroom looked awesome. Since ordering my spec I've seen a white GTS in Dubai and it looked pretty special and the pictures of the Guards Red on here look cool too. Every picture i seem to see of the Rhodium Silver looks nowhere near as good…… is this just a camera thing????

Number 2 - The wheels, i went for the 20" Carrera S wheels in Satin Platinum but originally i wanted the Turbo Design wheels but i didn't think they'd go aswel with the silver car.

Number 3 - The seats, i went for the bucket seats but after I drove a Cayman GTS the other day that had the standard seats i came away thinking I've wasted money on the buckets.

Just wondering what people think, should i be as concerned as i am or is it still gona make me happy? If anyone has any pictures of that spec please show me as most the pictures i found on here of the Rhodium Silver GTS don't look as good.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
You picked a classic Porsche color that looks great in person.
the colour, i went for Rhodium silver as the Boxster S that was in the showroom looked awesome. ... the pictures of the Guards Red on here look cool too. Every picture i seem to see of the Rhodium Silver looks nowhere near as good…… is this just a camera thing????
With due respect, Rhodium Silver is not a classic Porsche color. It has a blue tinge to it. The classic Porsche silver is GT Silver with Carrera Red interior, the color of James Dean's haunted 550 spyder. There is a reason GT Silver is a special color costing thousands of dollars more.

Yes, it most likely is a camera thing. Unless the person who took the digital photographs of Rhodium Silver and you, on your monitor, have calibrated monitors, you have no idea what you are looking it.

Guards red will be even worse as red is terribly difficult for some cameras to get correctly.

Trust what you saw in person with your own eyes.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mate, i just wanted some feedback can't wait to pick it up but like you say i think the colour is gona be better in person. Is that your Cayman in your pic?? Looks awesome if so ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With due respect, Rhodium Silver is not a classic Porsche color. It has a blue tinge to it. The classic Porsche silver is GT Silver with Carrera Red interior, the color of James Dean's haunted 550 spyder. There is a reason GT Silver is a special color costing thousands of dollars more.

Yes, it most likely is a camera thing. Unless the person who took the digital photographs of Rhodium Silver and you, on your monitor, have calibrated monitors, you have no idea what you are looking it.

Guards red will be even worse as red is terribly difficult for some cameras to get correctly.

Trust what you saw in person with your own eyes.

Good luck :)
Yeah i have noticed that about a few colours, I've not seen mine yet going to see it tomorrow so will get some pics then, hopefully it makes me smile!!!

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I think the key here is that you actually saw the Rhodium Silver in person and you loved it. You'll love it again when you see yours in person. :)

Pictures are wonky.

I also ordered the Platinum Satin Carrera S wheels. I love them. You will too.

And you're picking up THIS WEEK?? You lucky bastard!!! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha well i was meant to pick it up in January after my month away working but i could have it this week, don't think i can resist!!ha

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I've seen your wheels in person. They are outstanding. You will like.

Reactions: swabz10

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think your panic is justified.

Hopefully you'll love the car when it's delivered.

;)

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Since you asked :)
Rhodium Silver looks very different under showroom lighting conditions than outside. Inside, it looks like a cool silver; outside in most lighting conditions it has a blue tinge to it. When the '14 BS I ordered finally arrived, I declined to take delivery because I disliked the Rhodium Silver so much. It was the first Rhodium Silver vehicle the dealership had received. I ordered it sight unseen as everyone - including Porsche Canada - had been led to believe it was a "pure" silver. It's not. If you don't like it in person, just refuse to take delivery...they will sell it to someone else and you can order another car in a different color. If I had it all to do over again, I'd go with GT Silver or maybe Agate Grey.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Note that many metallic paints (including Agate Grey) will look very different under different lighting conditions like sunlight, shade, halogens, incandescents, etc...

Reactions: Richman and swabz10

·
Registered
562 Posts
Couple pics of rhodium silver taken with a Canon 5D III / 24-70L II in RAW, white balanced and converted in Photoshop CS6 on my calibrated monitor, hosted on my website. If you aren't seeing the rhodium silver correctly in these pics, the problem is on your end.

In my experience, white shows every paint chip no matter how small, red draws too much attention, but silver is a timeless classic.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think your color choices have the benefit of being very low maintenance in looking good with the silver hiding dust/dirt/swirls/scratches very effectively and the Satin painted wheels hiding brake dust. Rhodium Silver looks perfectly great against all the GTS black contrast.

Coming from a white car before, I don't miss that color as everyone and their mother has a white car now and the chips and black exhaust soot was annoying to deal with since anything stood out like a sore thumb. Red is better at hiding dirt/soot, but being a dark base paint it will show clear coat imperfections more so it's a test of my OCD everyday. The color does stick out like a sore thumb (it's awesome).

Satin Platinum wheels were my initial choice and look amazing in person, but after seeing this on the premiere press photo gallery, I just wanted the Turbo wheels.

The bucket seats are worth every damn penny and I would gladly trade you for them.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The extra charge for GT silver is unfortunate, but it is an awesome silver. I don't find rhodium silver to be very appealing, but it's certainly a nice-enough color, and very practical (hides dirt and surface damage, doesn't attract attention).

I like sapphire blue best on the Cayman and Boxster, and GT silver would be my second choice. On a Carrera, I would go with GT silver as my first choice.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The problem with pictures of a silver car is that it is dramatically affected by ambient light. It will show up differently if in the sun, shadow, cloudy day, and every lighting in between. My car is GT Silver, and I have yet to see a picture that does it justice. When looking at other silvers in pictures, the same issue exists. I saw my car next to a rhodium silver yesterday and they do not look anything alike. I recommend that you go look at more cars in person and decide between all of the color options. Researching it on pictures is difficult especially with silver.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Couple pics of rhodium silver taken with a Canon 5D III / 24-70L II in RAW, white balanced and converted in Photoshop CS6 on my calibrated monitor
My car is GT Silver, and I have yet to see a picture that does it justice.
John OKC is correct. If the person taking the picture isn't processing it on a calibrated monitor and you are not looking at it on a calibrated monitor, then you have no idea what you are looking at.

That is one of the most fundamental problems with viewing digital photographs.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Never judge the color by a picture. I ordered a Boxster GTS in GT Silver and was having regrets when I looked at pictures. Then when my car was delivered I was floored how great it looked and was so satisfied with the choice. Hang in there.

Satin wheels will also look good with your color.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The bottom line is that no 981 looks bad in any color. Everyone who ever ordered one of these cars has gone back and forth about options and colors until the day their car is delivered. I really don't know of anyone who took delivery of their new 981 and greeted it with disappointment and regret. I say that knowing that one member refused his car because he didn't like Rhodium Silver in person, but that is the exception, and a very rare exception at that.

Most silvers have an undertone to them. My Platinum Silver has a champagne tint, Rhodium has a blue tint. These subtle shades, IMHO, only make the colors more complex and interesting.

The only advice I can offer is to go with your gut and buy what you like best. The 981 is beautiful, and a joy to look at and a joy to drive. The color choice, as long as its one you like, makes no difference at all.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Too late to worry about it now... reminds me of my favorite line in the movie Animal House......

(Warning; they use a curse word but since its a classic it should pass inspection)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOXtWxhlsUg

:hilarious:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts