Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've found the PERFECT car, BUT, it has regular seats, and I do track my cars 5-6 times a year, minimum (probably more after a p-car).

I was wondering HOW do regular seats keep you supported in high speed cornering? Sport seats are definately better, but I'm not sure if it's worth it, TO WAIT some more months to find my perfect pre-owned car!

Thanks!

ps. the seat inlays are Alcantara, and I am 6'2, 210 pound, if that helps...

·
Registered
194 Posts
My Cayman had standard seats. As I recall.. It didn't do a whole lot to keep me in place though they weren't bad, either. Alcantara would've helped. However, I am about your height (6' even) and with the size of the Cayman cockpit, I didn't do all that much moving around to begin with.

I now have sports seats and they're pretty great. Look better, too. You should take the car you're looking at for a spin and try a few corners to see how it feels.

Also, if the rest of the car is perfect, you could always switch out the seats. It would be easy to swap out to manual sports seats or bucket seats, budget permitting. I would opt for bucket seats and a harness for track and cool factor.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
I have standard seats in my CS and sport seats in my wife's RS. I personaly do not feel much difference, adaptive sport seats yes, but not the standard. Doing the Dragon I never had an issue with sliding and that is some 300+ turns in about 15 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
The sport seats would probably provide a bit more support for your shoulders, but if you're going to track or autocross your car, I'd highly recommend the CG-Lock which will keep your butt firmly planted, regardless of which seat you have.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you pull the seat forward enough to get the seat belt locked in tightly (almost painfully tight), the seat will probably work fine for your intended use. I agree that a good seat is important, but, folks get a bit carried away with it sometimes. After all, we're talking about maybe 1 g of cornering force, and 15-20 minute track sessions. If the car suits you in every other way, and the seat feels good to you, I would go with it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
One other thing to think about is that you may want to upgrade to harnesses in the future. If so, the factory sport seats would have to go anyway. Might be better off with stock seats and upgrade to GT3's when the time is right.

I also 2nd the recommendation for CG lock with the stock belts.

Dave

·
Registered
245 Posts
One other thing to think about is that you may want to upgrade to harnesses in the future. If so, the factory sport seats would have to go anyway. Might be better off with stock seats and upgrade to GT3's when the time is right.

I also 2nd the recommendation for CG lock with the stock belts.

Dave
I know a lot of folks swear by the CG lock. I have used it and, it works, but not as well for me as simply locking the three point belt in place. The CG lock only works on the lap portion of the belt. If you pull the seat up hard into the factory belt, then both the lap and shoulder portions are locked firmly in place. Obviously, in order for this to work, you have to pull the seat sufficiently forward. I'm 6'1", and I drive with seat well forward of the rear extreme, so it works well for me. And in most cases, if you can't slide the seat forward enough for this to work, you're driving with the seat too far back anyway (a general observation and obviously not always true).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Firts year I tracked I had the base seats. Every night after track I had cramps in my butt from pushing the dead pedal to stay in place. Also death grip on steering wheel also to stay in palce. Over the winter went to GT3 seats with Schrouth Belts and a harness bar. Best money I ever spent. Now I drive the car with my finger tips.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, is it better to get the car with regular seats and swap to GT3 seats for tracking?

Is it easily swapable?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I track my car with sport seats and they work surprisingly well at the track. I'm 185 6'1". Gt3 seats would be better but you looses the airbags. GT2 seats are the best, but most expensive solution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts