Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cayman Blogger
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the day in Rehoboth Beach, DE, buzzed through Norfolk, VA to pick up my friend, E, at the Airport, then cruised the length of Cape Hatteras and now ending the day in Ocracoke, NC. The attached pics are all from Cape Hatteras. After a quick climb up and over the dunes to the beach, we continued on to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, tallest lighthouse in the country. On our way back to Rt 12 we got stuck crawling between two “Catfish trucks” as we like to call them (see pic). Determined to get a picture of one of these trucks, I pulled in behind the one I was following when he pulled in for gas to ask if I could take a picture of his truck. I asked E how she thought they’d respond, to which she replied, “um, I wouldn’t be totally surprised if they shoot you, but just try, why not . . . I’m gonna stay here though.” Turns out, as soon as I opened my door, all the guys staring at us from the truck, put down their windows and starting shouting to me how great my car was. I told them I was rather fond of their catfish truck as well. After Scooter (see pic) showed me the cooler full of “blow toads” and mullets they caught that day, I told them about my trip. They were very interested to know whether we were going to Gettysburg and whether we were into the civil war. Regretfully, I had to confess that I had no plans to go to Gettysburg and was not particularly into the civil war. Good day, time for a drink.​

More...

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
933 Posts
If you're still in Ocracoke, get yourself a blackened Tuna sandwich for dinner at Howard's Pub - you won't regret it!

Good luck, enjoy the trip, and honk the horn if you cruise by Raleigh!

·
Cayman Blogger
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Schwabe, thank you very much! I am just getting started and definitely need all the support I can get. And Speedy, I just saw your message and am at the Porsche Driving School in Leeds, AL, but I did just so happen to go to Howard's Pub and get a blackened Mahi Mahi sandwich, which was soooo good . . . as was hitting 105mph on the road from the Cape Hatteras Ferry to the village. So much fun.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Sounds like way too much fun!! I'm very jealous and reading this blog isn't helping me at all. ;)Please give us your impressions of the driving school.:cheers:

·
Cayman Blogger
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Croctor,

I just did a new post that talks about the driving school. It was incredible. You really feel like a competent race car driver when it's over. They help you hone so many skills and really understand the physics of driving and every little input (throttle, braking, steering) you give the car. Also, at the end, you get to take "hot laps" with the professional drivers in the Cayenne turbo, the panamera turbo and the 911 turbo. You're going literally 110+ in all of them on a really tight, curvy track. It was mindblowing-particularly the cayenne and the panamera because you think it should be impossible to drive those cars at those speeds through this track. I will never forget it.

Also, Ken asked me to ask them why they don't let Caymans on the track at this school and my response to him is below in case you are wondering the same thing:

"I asked your question to a few different people and basically got the same answer from everyone, which is that Porsche marketing pulls the strings and decides what cars the school gets, and they think that when people pay as much as they do for the course they want to drive the flagship 911 with all the racing heritage associated with it. I think you and I know they just want to advertise the more expensive cars ;-) One instructor who tests Caymans on the track for Porsche said he thinks over the next year or two, they will have Caymans on the track at the school. That said, they use them in all the off track technical training exercises and the autocross, so they definitely had a presence at the school, just not on the track . . . hopefully that will change!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.