Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I will be relocating from sunny south Florida to the DC area. I have a 987 BS and a Jaguar XKR as a daily driver. I have decided to sell the jaguar for sure, but I would love to keep the BS if I can.

A few few questions for the group:

1. Would you advise driving the car at all in the winter with winter tires?
2. Are there affordable storage facilities that you would trust your porsche to for a winter nap?
3. How many months (on average) does the winter last?

any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Absolutely. If its your only car, then I guess so. If you have two cars, then on the few days it snows, just drive the other car.

2. Are there affordable storage facilities that you would trust your porsche to for a winter nap?
dunno.

Well this winter hasn't ended yet. Night temps in the teens, snowed multiple times in March, etc. Depends upon the year. Some years, major 30" blizzards. Other years maybe 2 - 3" snow all year. This year has been a bad winter with snow on the ground a lot of days and a lot of days in single digits.

I wouldn't worry about. Snow tires are probably overkill but I'm sure some people use them. If this is your only car, then yeah, I would do snows. However, snow can be a big deal. Despite years having major blizzards, people still tend to panic somewhat. Snows are a good idea.

Good luck

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am in northern VA and agree with chows4us. I don't know about storage facilities but would add a couple of more things to consider about winter driving.

If it's your only car and live and work near metro stations, you could get by without snows. If not, I would want snow tires for what is usually an occasional snow (this year being unusually snowy and cold as noted by chows4us). On the other hand, in a usual winter, we may have a number of warmer 50ish days, so I wonder whether that could be a problem with snows. I have summer tires on mine, so it stays in the garage not only for snow but also for very cold mornings, but I have other vehicles to use those days.

Feel free to message me if you have questions about the area (doesn't have to about cars).

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
On the other hand, in a usual winter, we may have a number of warmer 50ish days, so I wonder whether that could be a problem with snows. I have summer tires on mine, so it stays in the garage not only for snow but also for very cold mornings, but I have other vehicles to use those days.
I agree with this. Since 2006 I never put snow tires on my CS and it was driven all year, almost every day one way or the other.

But on the days it snowed, it just didn't go out. Also snows will wear down quickly (I think).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all very much for the advice!

i am trying to get by with two cars for my wife and I. She does not work, so hopefully we will be ok with one winter car and the porsche.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Previous posters referred to "snows" as far as tires are concerned. Snow isn't the only problem. Summer tires DO NOT perform well in temperatures under 40-45 degrees and don't soften as they were designed. Therefore driving summer tires in cold weather is just plan dangerous. The tires stay hard as rocks and slip and slide in cold weather. Accidents have been reported many, many times including a couple on here as I recall. Now a short careful trip probably won't hurt but anything even close to spirited driving would be just plain dumb. Therefore if you will be driving year around "winter tires" are very highly recommended. Those too are different from "snows" and perhaps would more likely be considered "all season" tires. Good luck.:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Previous posters referred to "snows" as far as tires are concerned. Snow isn't the only problem. Summer tires DO NOT perform well in temperatures under 40-45 degrees and don't soften as they were designed.
I agree with all this too. When the temperature is below 40, the summer tires easily slide in tight turns at slow speeds. You can hear the scrubbing. But if the OP has a second car, its not an issue.

I would also add that the issue can be ice, far more than snow. This has been a bad winter. But the number of days where snow was actually on the main roads were few (residential roads more). But ice is always an issue because temperatures constantly drop below 32 at night but up in the 40s during the day making for black ice accidents.

I've dealt with this for 8 years with the Cayman and its no big deal. Drive the other car when its snow or ice. Otherwise, dont worry about it. Its all fine. Just be reasonable in your driving.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would you recommend getting all-season tires (Conti DWS or similar) and driving on them all year, or would you recommend getting separate sets and swapping in the fall and spring?

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Would you recommend getting all-season tires (Conti DWS or similar) and driving on them all year, or would you recommend getting separate sets and swapping in the fall and spring?
I wouldn't put all season on a Porsche. Don't think many people do that. I would go snows or nothing and just use the other car when its snow, ice, very cold.

If it really bothers you, buy the snows. If you can live with the few days weather is bad, use the other car. The thing to understand is how flaky the weather in mid atlantic can be and how varied from year to year.

One winter you can see no snow at all and 70 degrees in December. The next winter it can be warm and then big blizzard, two feet of snow and you are not going anywhere. And another winter, like this winter, can be pretty miserable from late December, well until now. Might even have a little snow 3/31. I think this year is more of a fluke than common.

I just wouldn't use all -season tires on a sports car, but that is just me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
depends on where you work but i would just take the public transportation in DC. Driving in the city is horrible imo, tons of pot holes and it's a bumpy ride.

as far as tires goes, you won't need snow tires since they are pretty quick on plowing the streets in the city. Just take it easy and you will be fine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hello all,

I will be relocating from sunny south Florida to the DC area. I have a 987 BS and a Jaguar XKR as a daily driver. I have decided to sell the jaguar for sure, but I would love to keep the BS if I can.

I moved from Florida to DC for `3 months. I lived in DC, a few blocks from the National Mall. Here is what I can tell you.....

I didn't do anything special for tires.
I paid for garage parking - 90 a month.
I didn't drive my car anywhere other than when I went out to Herndon when I had to work out there, sometimes a grocery store, Mass, a weekend trip or just to get out. I did drive the car at least once a week.
Most of the time I walked to work, took a bus, or metro. Driving "in" DC is just pointless. Traffic sux like I have never seen. Some of the streets are always in bad shape.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Add to above the fact that there are freaken red light and speed cameras everywhere. DC is one of the biggest in that regard and takes in something like 50-60 million a year I understand. Those numbers include a contribution or two from yours truly so I know what I'm talking about. Virginia isn't much better when it comes to speeding either. Any thing in excess of 10 miles over and it will cost you over a grand.:cheers:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Add to above the fact that there are freaken red light and speed cameras everywhere. DC is one of the biggest in that regard and takes in something like 50-60 million a year I understand. Those numbers include a contribution or two from yours truly so I know what I'm talking about. Virginia isn't much better when it comes to speeding either. Any thing in excess of 10 miles over and it will cost you over a grand.:cheers:
Adding to that, be careful in VA, either of 20mph over the speed limit or over 80 (even if it's not 20 over) is per se reckless driving.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
The N-rated "snows" are surprisingly good performers on cold, dry pavement. I have two sets of wheels/tires for both my cars, and never feel rushed to switch to the summers as the winters can be driven quite aggressively. It may seem an unnecessary expense getting separate winter wheels, but it makes the switchover SO much easier...with the big bonus being you don't need to worry about a tire/wheel shop (or the dealer) damaging your rims.

Reactions: michael818

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I live in Arlington VA. just over the bridge from DC. I pay $120.00 month for a spot in a parking garage connected to my condo we only have one spot , I drive a Cayman R year round and my wife drives a Cayenne. The Cayenne sits in the grage most of the year because my my metros to work everyday. She uses her car when she has a deposition for work. I have yet to put snows on my car. When it snow I stay off the roads. People in Virginia tailgate no matter what the weather conditions are. When it snows there are always a lot of accidents people just don't get here, DC is no different. As others have said the winter this year has been pretty bad but the snow is typically gone by the weekend it does not stick around for long. The problem is that it just keeps coming back. I think you would be fine with a Cayman year in DC. I do medical sales for a living my territory is Northern Virginia, DC and Maryland up to Annapolis in other words I drive all over the metro area in my CR year round with no problems. Hope that helps Dave-t

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I agree with the other posters who indicate that "snow" tires aren't just for snow. The compounds in the stock summer tires do not perform well when road temperatures go below 45 degrees F. There is much research available on this and you can look at any tire website to see that for yourself. While you can easily leave the car parked on actual snow days, I'm not sure you want to leave it parked on cold days. I use my car year round, usually switching to winter tires in late November and putting the summer tires back on in April. That's approximately 4 months of winter weather. As far as wear, I'm not seeing that the winter tires wear any faster that the summer tires and find that my summer tires last much longer because they are only being used for eight months a year. The performance of the n rated winter tires is quite good and, other than being a bit noisier, hardly a noticeable downgrade. I do switch for 20 inch summers to 19 inch winters on another set of wheels. I store the wheels not being used at a local shop and have him swap them out seasonally. I don't know about storing the car for the winter since mine is a daily driver. I don't live near a metro station so that is not an option for me. I don't have AS tires on the car now but I would consider them as a winter tire for this area, They are probably adequate and the performance numbers of the new Michelin AS tires is pretty close to the summer tires. Good luck.

Hello all,

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Have resided in downtown DC for 37 years. Operated Porsches for the last 22. Currently in 2012 Cayman S. In my estimation, if you are to live downtown, you MUST have a reserved parking spot. Most desirably, in a garage attached to your residence.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts