Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Reminder For those in the northern parts, them tires get slippery!

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Wild Weasel 
#1 ·
Just a friendly reminder for those of us in the north where the temps dip significantly below freezing.

I am running Michelin pilot ap4's (winter tires) on 19 inch rims.
It was -12 Celsius (10 farenheit) and I made a left in the normal spirited manner that I sometimes do and to my surprise my 981C began to slide in a way that it never has before. I corrected and all was good, but it was a bit of a startling reminder about how slippery tires can get in colder temps. Just thought I'd remind some of my fellow 981 chatters. This car gives one an incredible confidence and this was a reminder that it's still fallible.

#3 ·
Just a friendly reminder for those of us in the north where the temps dip significantly below freezing.....

......This car gives one an incredible confidence and this was a reminder that it's still fallible.
Couldn't agree more, but I wish that some folk would learn that winter tyres are a lot less fallible than running on their summer tyres under similar conditions

#4 ·
Summer tires are one reason I don't drive my 981 much in winter. Took it out for a 70 mile ride today and am happy to report that at 38oF, the OEM Goodyear tires exhibited normal grip, even in spirited cornering. And this is with 22k miles on them (rears are showing about 4.5 to 5/32").

#5 ·
I have the same tires and drove to Florida and the second day was in monsoon rain for at least five hours. In any case, the tires never hydroplaned. The car will detect wheel slipping and start turning off Cruise control and disables Sport and Sport plus. I experienced this in rain in the summer with my P0s, but was amazed that standing water at 40-55 MPH and it did not turn anything off. I am returning north soon, watching weather forecasts to look for a window that is safe to go home in.

#6 ·
A cold tire is a cold tire. Doesn't matter if it's a snow tire or a summer tire. Do a few hard stops to get some heat in them.

#8 ·
...but a summer tire should not be used in cold weather for safety reasons. Even the manufactures warn against it. Over the last year, for the first time, I have seen statements claiming summer tires are cracking just from usage in cold weather. Saw a consumer reports story quoting a GM bulletin warning against even moving a car on summer tires below 20F as it would damage the tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.