Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2018 Cayenne S and miss having remote start like I did on my MDX. I live in the Chicago area and we have a large high-end electronics and appliance seller called Abt. They install a variety of aftermarket auto electronics and do a nice job. So, I called them about adding a remote start to my Cayenne and the sales rep told me that they can bury a key fob in the dash and somehow connect it to a dedicated fob that tricks the buried fob into starting the car remotely. But you must give up a key fob to make it work. The $600 cost of the install is mostly labor. Has anyone had any experience with this type of remote start install?

· Registered
42 Posts
I would caution you on two points.
First, German electronics are, um, interesting enough without someone without Porsche-specific knowledge poking around in your dash.
Secondly, given that you live in the cesspool of America (and speaking as an Illinois native, of which I am loathe to do,) are you making it easier to steal your Cayenne?
I don't think you will even be able to lock it if you have a fob inside. My 2011 doesn't.
My Silverado has this feature built into the key, but I believe I have used it perhaps twice since new in 2013. Wasting the currently outrageous gas and knowing idling from cold is the worst thing for your engine's life, I just don't use it, and we commonly get to -20s up here.
Your vehicle, thoigh!
Good luck!

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would caution you on two points.
First, German electronics are, um, interesting enough without someone without Porsche-specific knowledge poking around in your dash.
Secondly, given that you live in the cesspool of America (and speaking as an Illinois native, of which I am loathe to do,) are you making it easier to steal your Cayenne?
I don't think you will even be able to lock it if you have a fob inside. My 2011 doesn't.
My Silverado has this feature built into the key, but I believe I have used it perhaps twice since new in 2013. Wasting the currently outrageous gas and knowing idling from cold is the worst thing for your engine's life, I just don't use it, and we commonly get to -20s up here.
Your vehicle, thoigh!
Good luck!
Go Bears!

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go Bears!
The techs at Abt have actually figured how to work with all of the brands from Deutschland on a variety of aftermarket electronics. For the remote-start function, have developed a way of wrapping the buried fob in a shield which only allows the remote-start fob to access the buried fob. This way you can start the car from 500 ft away, and the locks still work. Not sure if I will do it or not, as it’s pricey when you factor in $600 for the extra Porsche fob (including programming) plus the $600 for the install of the remote-start trickery. If by chance I do give it a try, I will post the results on this forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts