Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This Friday will be the two-week anniversary of having my Boxster. Overall the car has exceeded my expectations. The only thing that really bothered me, For several reasons were the huge warning labels on the sun visors. I’ve removed these from my other cars, and they looked exactly the same so I figured the method I had used in the past might work, I figured I would try the same.

01-Offensive Sticker.jpg

Just as these stickers are valuable warnings brought to you as the same people as hotel windows that don’t open and over priced insurance due to frivolous litigation, I would start by saying that although I am not a lawyer, I have quite a few in my family. With covering my *** in mind, this worked for me on my 2014 Boxster S with vinyl sun visors, I can’t say it will or will not work on your car, it is up to you to use common sense, and due care and I accept no responsibility should you melt, spontaneously combust, or otherwise destroy your car, become ill, have a compulsion to place children in the non existant back seat of your car, or meet with an unfortunate accident due to attempting to remove these warnings while driving.

Before removing these idiotic warning labels, warning you to put your children in the backseat of a two seater car, I figured I’d take a look on the Planet-9 DIY forums to see if anyone had posted a how-to on this topic. I couldn’t find anything, so I figured, as I would be doing it anyway I will just take pictures during my attempt, and if things worked out, I will post them to help others may also dislike these offensive stickers.

Keep in mind my references to left and right are relative to the drivers side visor as I figured I would do that for this tutorial, just reverse left and right for the passengers side.

What you will need;

02-Tools.jpg

- A bottle of isopropyl alcohol, I used the 91% Version.
- A plastic trim removal tool, I order the kit from a website called iFixit.com
- An angle ended tweezers, also from the iFixit people
- A Torx T 35 bit and driver
- I enjoyed power tools so I use a compact Milwaukee drill.
(you may also use a ratchet, bit driver or Torx screwdriver)
- I also like to work on top of a microfiber cloth
- A fair amount of paper towels.

Starting on the left-hand side, I removed the cover behind the sun visor where it attaches near the windshield. Gently prying on the front edge of the panel with my plastic trim removal tool, I have als heard them refered to as ‘spudgers’, if you pull down gently on the front edge, you can remove this piece without damaging any of the tabs. The cover comes off exposing 2 T30 screws.

03-Left Cover.jpg 04-Right Holder.jpg 05-Clip detail.jpg

Next there’s a little door on the hook that holds the right hand side of the driver side sun visor and if you pull down on the front edge of this with the angled tweezers, there’s a little door that will pop open exposing a single T30 screw. Once you have removed the screws, the visors will come off with a little wiggling. Just be careful as the plastic trim above the windshield has a matte finish and you don’t want to scratch it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Removal of Airbag Warning Stickers on 981 Sun Visors (Part 2)

Once you have removed the screws, the visors will come off with a little wiggling. Just be careful as the plastic trim above the windshield has a matte finish and you don’t want to scratch it.

Once the visors removed, I place them sticker site up on my microfiber towel, I folded piece of paper towel in half, placed it over the sticker then poured enough alcohol on it to just to saturate the paper towel. The purpose of the paper towel is to keep the sticker saturated without alcohol for about 10 minutes. This is an excellent time to make a coffee, or enjoy a beverage of your choice.

06-Removed Before.jpg 07-Alcohol.jpg 08-Soak.jpg

After leaving the sticker soak for 10 minutes, check the edge of the sticker to see if it will peel back. If it does you can gently peel off the whole sticker as one piece. If the sticker doesn’t peel yet, apply another round of paper towel and alcohol to soften it up further.

09-Peel 1.jpg 10-Peel 2.jpg 11-After Peel.jpg

I completed this project in 80° weather, on a car it’s approximately a year and a half old, see your results may vary depending on your environment and how long the sticker has been stuck on. Some warnings from past experience;

1 - Goof Off or other sticker / adhesive removal liquids will melt your visors, if you do this, (just don’t) baking them in the oven at 200 degrees will harden them back up.

2 – Aggressive rubbing or use of abrasive things like scrub brushes or ScotchBrite pads will alter the patina of your visors, again, just don’t

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Removal of Airbag Warning Stickers on 981 Sun Visors (Part 3)

Once the sticker is off, you’ll be left with a residue of adhesive. To remove the residual adhesive I have found the best way is to repeat the paper towel alcohol soak, soften the pieces and wipe it off gently, repeat as necessary until all of the adhesive has been removed.

You’ll notice there’s a slight pucker left by the sticker, although not perfect it is preferable two having a large white and yellow sticker inches from your nose.

13-Soak 2.jpg 14-Remove Complete.jpg

The next step is to reverse the removal process, and reinstall the visor. You will notice a silver grommet on the left hand side, it is there to receive a pin it’s on the larger left-hand visor mount. Gently push that pin into the Silver grommet and then reattach the two screws that hold the left side in place.

Next work the right clip mount into place and secured with screw. Just a note, I considered seeing if I can replace the clips, that when installed prevent visor from being detached and articulated, with more standard clips maybe from the Cayman, so that my visor can articulate and adjust to block the sun coming in from the side window if necessary. It is obvious when you take the right clip off the visor wont work that way.

15-Reinstall.jpg 16-Done.jpg

There you have it, the sticker free visors make the interior feel more intimate and less lawyery. Nothing against lawyers, and in the State of California in accordance with Prop 65 "California Law Requires This Warning. This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects other reproductive harm."

·
Registered
302 Posts
Re: Removal of Airbag Warning Stickers on 981 Sun Visors (Part 3)

I used a 20 minute soak with 91% IPA on a paper towel, and then removed all the adhesive by lightly wiping the visor with Goof Off Pro on a small cotten towel. The surface becomes slightly wavy but goes back to original tightness after 3 hours or so. Perfect results with no ghosting or outline on black visor on my 8 month old 2015 CS.

·
Registered
670 Posts

There are a few threads on this topic. FWIW I had success using a similar method, but found it easy to do without the hassle of removing the visors.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts

Not that anything wrong with posting another DIY, but you should hone your searching skills :) The topic was covered quite a few times.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Not that anything wrong with posting another DIY, but you should hone your searching skills :) The topic was covered quite a few times.
Sorry to clutter things up, that was not my intention. I did do a search for removing the visors, and removing the stickers and could not find what I was looking for. I am glad that other methods worked for people, I like to see photos of how things come apart and go back together before attempting a project. I figured I would be doing it, so I took photos and described what i did hoping to provide detailed information for those looking for it.

·
Administrator
34,502 Posts

Sorry to clutter things up, that was not my intention. I did do a search for removing the visors, and removing the stickers and could not find what I was looking for. I am glad that other methods worked for people, I like to see photos of how things come apart and go back together before attempting a project. I figured I would be doing it, so I took photos and described what i did hoping to provide detailed information for those looking for it.
And it is absolutely GREAT that you did, especially since the prior visor sticker removals were done on a 987, your images show for the 981 and show actually removing the visors so thank you very much for contributing, it never hurts to have MORE articles than few/none on a particular subject.

·
Registered
368 Posts

And it is absolutely GREAT that you did, especially since the prior visor sticker removals were done on a 987, your images show for the 981 and show actually removing the visors so thank you very much for contributing, it never hurts to have MORE articles than few/none on a particular subject.
Agreed! Thanks for doing this!

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bueller, great post. I have a Cayman GTS being delivered in the next month that I'm thinking of replacing the visors (Alcantara, no stickers), so your how-to removal of 981 visors is interesting to me. I have two questions on the removal/reinstall.
1. Do you have the illuminated mirrors in your visor; do you know how that wiring is handled and how that'd affect the removal/reinstall?
2. Surprised to see the need to remove the right clip (driver's side) and that the design does not allow you to pull the visor out of clip and rotate in order to block sun coming from side. Is this unique to the Boxster?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Here is a possible new twist to this project. I have a 2014 Cayman S and I removed the airbag stickers with alcohol and it came out perfect. I recently (my wife) purchased a 2015 Macan and decided to remove the airbag stickers as I did with the Cayman. Turns out the alcohol had no effect at all. I later heard (not confirmed) that although they look exactly the same, the Macan stickers are metal foil backed and the alcohol will not penetrate. Now why would Porsche use different stickers on different models unless there was a change in recent model year cars to the all impenetrable stickers. Anyone have an answer?

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I've thought of getting some wide black tape and covering them but this seems like a better idea.
At least we found a way to remove it... On some of my other cars those fugly sticker melted into fabric, and the only way to remove is to reupholster the sunvisors :(((((((

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Here is a possible new twist to this project. I have a 2014 Cayman S and I removed the airbag stickers with alcohol and it came out perfect. I recently (my wife) purchased a 2015 Macan and decided to remove the airbag stickers as I did with the Cayman. Turns out the alcohol had no effect at all. I later heard (not confirmed) that although they look exactly the same, the Macan stickers are metal foil backed and the alcohol will not penetrate. Now why would Porsche use different stickers on different models unless there was a change in recent model year cars to the all impenetrable stickers. Anyone have an answer?
Because they've read this thread and know now that we know how to remove them? :)

So you tried it *yourself*, soaked it per pure alcohol/papertowel/bag method and no effect?

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Bueller, great post. I have a Cayman GTS being delivered in the next month that I'm thinking of replacing the visors (Alcantara, no stickers), so your how-to removal of 981 visors is interesting to me. I have two questions on the removal/reinstall.
1. Do you have the illuminated mirrors in your visor; do you know how that wiring is handled and how that'd affect the removal/reinstall?
2. Surprised to see the need to remove the right clip (driver's side) and that the design does not allow you to pull the visor out of clip and rotate in order to block sun coming from side. Is this unique to the Boxster?
Thanks.
You obviously don't want to pour alcohol on open electric wires... Most 981s out there don't have illumination in the mirrors, so it's easy... You'll have to disconnect your battery and mabe tape over the mirror with blue tape? It's on the other side from the stickers, so alcohol shouldn't get there, but you can't be too careful with $$$$$ car.

Yes, fixed sunvisor is a unique Boxster feature. Why - nobody knows... I don't see how it can hurt anything even with top down, but German engineers are creatures from Mars.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I removed the stickers on the GT4 with the alcohol method with no problem. I haven't yet tried on the 981 Spyder.

williamr

·
Registered
940 Posts
Thanks very much for putting this post together. I just finished doing this and I'm really happy with the results! I did this on a 2016 Cayman GTS, so keep that in mind. Here are some notes on my experience:

- In your parts list you list needing a T-35. I was surprised to find I didn't have one and when I went looking online for one I discovered they are hard or impossible to come by. I believe this is a typo as you then go on to mention the T-30s holding the visor to the roof. Perhaps edit your original post (see below for more details)
- The Cayman uses a T-25, not a T-30 (or T-35). The mount and cover are different (see attached pics).
- It may be different for the boxer, but there is no need to disconnect the clip-in side of the visor from the roof. You simply pull the visor out of the clip, take out the two T-30s (or T-25s on a Cayman) and you are off to the races.
- I found that 8 minutes was about the right amount of time. I used denatured alcohol instead of IPA, and I had no residue at all after 8 minutes, and there was no indentation in the visor either, although my car is only a few months old.
- I did feel that this process slightly changed the patina of the visor around the label where the alcohol/paper towel touched it, but it was so minor that it is not visible at all except under bright light (so never inside the car). If I were to do it again I think I would try to position the paper towel so it was only on top of the label to see if that made a difference.

Again, thanks for the excellent write-up! So happy to have this done!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts